Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
Rookie

Default Cleaning Up / Formating HDD - Toshiba M300

Hi,

Just got a Toshiba M300 Satellite.
Any one here have experience with this type?
(no install discs were provided.. so after starting up the computer, I've now made "recovering discs".)

The system will be okay for now.. but eventually, I'd like clean it up with out all the unessecary apps. (ie: all the stuff Toshiba has pre-installed in their windows)
Any thoughts how I go about re-installing Vista so that it doesn't have all the 'bloatware'?
I'm going to assume it's not as simple as just formatting the HDD, because I'd likely need some sort of 'drivers' for when I go to re-install?

Or is my best bet using a Retail Version of Windows (after a format of the HDD)?

I was looking at this thread... not sure if the same stuff would apply to my notebook:
Acer laptop noob, question(s)

thx,

jG
Old February 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You sure can install Vista, simply download all the necessary drivers from the Toshiba website (and save them on a USB stick) prior to doing the formatting / update. I did it with my wife's M65.

Chipset
Lan
Wlan
Sound
Video
Old February 18, 2009, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Thanks Charlie!

One other thing... i've been toying around with the though of getting myself a small 2.5 external HDD & enclsure (with eSata/usb interface). After quickly looking around google, many forums/users from different sites were saying it is not possible to boot from an external HDD enclosure via eSata.

I've just done a test, with my current external enclosure (larger one), via the eSata connection, and then went into bios, and under boot options, it did reckognize the drive. (it says "HDD: Drive name"), so my boot options were like:
HDD: Toshiba drive name
CD/DVD: something
FDD: (or somehting like that)
HDD: Myexternal HDD name
and then it said I can move them up and down the list to adjust my boot priority.

Anyone know if that's the case, than I should have no problems installing/setting up an external boot? (one step further is, I'd like to partition the external HDD so that it could accomodate for up to 3 or 4 different operating systems).

Thanks,

James G.
Old February 18, 2009, 04:49 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've never used an external drive to setup multiple OSes. I have no idea if that would work.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:22 PM
Trial Member

toshiba m300 hard disc way need (schematic or layout diagram) thanks