Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Need Laptop advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/13935-need-laptop-advice.html)

Ghlin January 18, 2009 07:15 AM

Need Laptop advice

Normally this wouldn't be an issue for me, but someone is looking for a business laptop and needs some specific such as

- Has to be XP, no vista
-Laptop needs to come with a numpad instead of just the top row.

Thanks

geokilla January 18, 2009 01:35 PM

Buy a good, bang for buck laptop. Reformat using Windows XP. Install what you need. Done.

As for the laptop, ASUS M51SN-X1 or C1 or something of the M51SN series will do. Note that you'd pay at least $900.

Chilly January 18, 2009 11:38 PM

Budget? That would be a big help. :haha:

3 of 7 January 18, 2009 11:52 PM

Vostro 1700
Dell Vostro 1710 Laptop Details
I have one and I love it, I was succesfull at installing XP on it before Vista SP1 came out ( back on Vista now)

lcdguy January 19, 2009 09:35 AM

look at the vostro's. Incase you can only get it configured with vista make sure to get the xp recovery dvd. Dell has a horrible reputation for provided XP drivers as of late.

3 of 7 January 19, 2009 10:31 AM

According to their site you can get it with XP Pro installed..... For 90 bux extra that is....

mklym January 19, 2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghlin (Post 140014)
Normally this wouldn't be an issue for me, but someone is looking for a business laptop and needs some specific such as

- Has to be XP, no vista
-Laptop needs to come with a numpad instead of just the top row.

Thanks

Are you looking at buying new or used. New laptops with XP are getting rare. Besides Dell offering laptops with downgrade rights, Lenovo/IBM offers some models with XP Pro, and I believe HP does, as well.

There are lots of deals to be had on used laptops. Check some of the notebook specific forums buy/sell sections.

As for the number pad is concerned, you are looking at a laptop with a 17" display. I do not recall any units with smaller screens that have a dedicated number pad. Targus makes a USB number pad. It can be used with any computer.

With more info, we might be able to give better suggestions.

Babrbarossa January 19, 2009 10:57 AM

I've found that the lenovos are pretty bomb-proof. Very stable and can stand a beating.

lcdguy January 19, 2009 01:41 PM

i can confirm this as most of my problems at work with the laptops are the dell's the ibm's very rarely have issues and when they do it's a big like a mobo dieing. Just buy the accidental damage protection and you never have to worry until the warranty runs out.

rjbarker January 20, 2009 04:41 PM

This is the one I got my son about 6 months ago.....its a friggin Rocket for a Laptop.
Games like a banshee!!!

ASUS M50SV-A1CORE 2 Duo T9300 15.4IN WXGA+ 3GB 250GB GeForce 9500M GS 512M Vista Premium Notebook - DirectCanada

PS He didn't want the 17 inch monitor...to big n bulky this one is 15.5"