Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2008, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Is sony missing the point?

I was in London Drugs recently and saw that they had a an 11 inch sony. At first I think sony has managed to release a netbook without me know at it but then I look at the price and the specs. To my horror its about 2,000 but has a c2d, dvd drive, and ddr3 ram. Now honestly I didnt even know there was mobile ddr3. But this isnt anything really new, I knew sony had ridiculously over priced small laptops. In this new market of netbooks even with the superior processing power, and the subsequent battery life loss, what is the point, a 400$ netbook or a 2000$ mini laptop.
Old November 24, 2008, 05:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I suppose it's a question of what a person sees when they look a netbook.....

If they mainly see an inexpensive way to browse the web and do light apps with weight & battery life being a secondary consideration then it wouldn't be for them. If on the other hand they see something they wouldn't mind lugging around all day long but still has full functionality, then maybe it's for them.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 25, 2008, 03:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sony has sold/designed/made mini-laptops since before netbooks were even a twinkle in some random product engineers eyes. Sony's minibooks are WAY more powerful then netbooks, they usually contain a full powered computer rather than just the basics that a netbook does.

I've always wanted to own one of Sony's many minibooks, I love the UX series, and I love the ZN series in carbon fibre clad. I could never justify buying it myself, but, different market for different people. That being said, Sony is NOT missing the point, they've been doing then since before netbooks existed, and will countinue doing them way after netbooks aregone.

They know what there doing, and obviously, they can and have(for years) generated enough sales to keep their line of mini notebooks going strong. I know I'd rather have a Sony minibook than a netbook.

Last edited by Chilly; November 25, 2008 at 04:01 AM.