Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2008, 01:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's been over a year since I used it last, but it did a fairly decent job on the Acer desktop I used it on then. It probably won't get all of the crap, but it's certainly a good start. :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old November 4, 2008, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Just format the hdd and re-install Windows.

Saves a lot of headaches and troubles.

Then make a backup image of that with Acronis or something similiar.

This is what I thought as well, but if you do the format thing, you wind up formatting one partition, still leaves three more to go, to of them being protected and unlabeled. So if you format C and then format D, you still have the two hidden partitions, and still have the two other partitions.

Booting off the windows DVD, didn't give the option to format a disk, is simply gave the options for install and heads right for the C partition. I have never come across anything so frustrating.

But it did get me to thinking, what happens with a catastrophic failure? Ie: dead hard drive now what, back to acer to fix, so they can reload the damned HDD with ten gallons of bloat ware?

Formatting a drive, should be a simple thing, so I thought, done it lots of times before, but holy crap, this one has turned into a hair puller. I tried Acronis, but it was to late, I had installed windows from my DVD, but had no drivers to get online for the activation portion of the set up, so that was pointless .

I'll have to take a look into decrapifier though great name
Old November 4, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowinacape View Post
This is what I thought as well, but if you do the format thing, you wind up formatting one partition, still leaves three more to go, to of them being protected and unlabeled. So if you format C and then format D, you still have the two hidden partitions, and still have the two other partitions.

Booting off the windows DVD, didn't give the option to format a disk, is simply gave the options for install and heads right for the C partition. I have never come across anything so frustrating.

But it did get me to thinking, what happens with a catastrophic failure? Ie: dead hard drive now what, back to acer to fix, so they can reload the damned HDD with ten gallons of bloat ware?

Formatting a drive, should be a simple thing, so I thought, done it lots of times before, but holy crap, this one has turned into a hair puller. I tried Acronis, but it was to late, I had installed windows from my DVD, but had no drivers to get online for the activation portion of the set up, so that was pointless .

I'll have to take a look into decrapifier though great name
If say your hdd is like 120 gb.. use Gparted and delete all the partitions and just format the drive :P
Old November 4, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hm, you mean even if you go into windows partition manager you can't delete the partition from there? Or maybe try a 3rd party app like Acronis to do this?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 4, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I ever get the Acer 8930-6555 that I ordered last Wednesday out of Calgary to go to Red Deer (150 km away) on the express one day delivery program from frontierpc.com, I'm thinking about doing my first ever member review. Before and after running the Decrapifier program.

GLAM, hopefully it shows up very soon.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old November 5, 2008, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Hm, you mean even if you go into windows partition manager you can't delete the partition from there? Or maybe try a 3rd party app like Acronis to do this?
I could delete the "D" partition yes, but that simply left me with a 130 gig void on the drive. , I could sort of make the "D" partition a little bigger or smaller using partition magic, but not by much.

I may go back and try acronis again, once we get the "Acer" disks so that if it doesn't work then the machine can be restored. As it turns out now, we are still stuck with a lappy that get's stuck at a black screen with the flashing cursor.

So fast forward to last night, the misses called Acer support, and after 45 minuets got a real voice, who told her, "Acer does not support repartitioning the hard" I am sure he menat the company not the machine. So after arguing with the fool for a bit, and trying to convince him that the machine is being restored from the "restore partition" on the hard drive, but refuses to boot fully. They are suppossed to send along to "real" Acer restore disks. So heads up to anyone getting an Acer lap top, there is acctual "ACER" disks, but they don't seem inclined to include them in the box.

Once the real disks get here, I'll be more likely to try a little more hard love with this machine, untill then I pretty much have a nice doorstop, woohoo!
Old November 5, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gah that's ultra sucky! First thing I did when I got my XPS laptop was reformat it. Had zero probs except my n00bness with Vista at the time. Well at least they are sending you the disks. Let us know what happens.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old November 9, 2008, 09:00 AM
Rookie

ummm ok so smallish update, got on the phone to tech support once again, booted up the laptop, and expected to see to flashing cursor deal again, but this time, as we are talking to the tech support girl, damn machines boots up just fine as soon as she mentions the possibility of having to send it in hmmmmmmm just love computers sometimes. Anyways still waiting for the magic disks to come from Acer before attempting anything else with this tempermental toad.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you burnt the OS to cds/dvds yet?

There should be either an icon on the desktop or a program under the start/programs to run the wizard for burning them.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old November 9, 2008, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Yeah, that was one of the very first things that was done, on the first day the machine came home.