Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
Rookie

Default Quick question regarding GPUs for laptops

I am looking at two different laptops a Toshiba and a Acer (750 range), anyways, 1 has a Intel GMA X4500M, and the other has a Intel GMA 4500 MHD, any real world difference between these tow chipsets?

This machine is going to be used 95% of the time, for working with MS Office, and admin work on a forum I run for work, so a bit of web editing/light graphics work (mainly minor phot editing - nothing to intense) as well.

But I will want to take it on the road as well from time to time, and would like to be able to throw a few movies on a thumb drive, keep my iTunes handy and maybe even play some games (I'd be happy if it would play like COD 1&2 the earlier Medal of Honors) on it to keep me from going stir crazy. Not looking for it to play the latests greatest games,I have my home machine for that. AS well, I would to be able to use the built in web cam to call home at nights when on the road.
Old October 31, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not knowing a lot about integrated graphics chipsets, I did a google search for both of the ones which you listed. It seems most of the posts for the GMA 4500 MHD have to do with poor driver support primarily for ubuntu but other things as well. If it were me, I would probably pick the GMA X4500M. Hopefully, it's not just two different names for the same chipset.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old October 31, 2008, 02:39 PM
Rookie

That's sort of what I was thinking as well, one dog two names, my seraching didn't get me far, thus the question - sorry total laptop noob with a limited budget. Thanks!
Old October 31, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Herewego.

Kind of hard to say for sure. They seem to pretty much have the same guts inside. The 4500MHD is the mobile equivalent of the 4500HD, and technically slightly more capable than the 4500X, but thanks to the 'mobile' configuration, is significantly downclocked, so is probably going to be less powerful (but also use less power) in this case. Beyond that, they're both DX10 and OGL2.1 compliant, and support the same sorts of hardware acceleration. The one difference in featureus is that the 4500MHD supports variable-length decoding. Damned if I know how useful or important that is, though.

Edit: My bad, I missed the "M" tacked onto the X4500M. So it's obviously a mobile variant as well, and probably also downclocked like the 4500MHD. So I'm going to guess that the 4500MHD is slightly more powerful/capable than the other.

Mind, we're talking about integrated laptop graphics, so it's probably a little like asking who brought the bigger spoon to a gunfight.

Last edited by MpG; October 31, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Missed something
Old October 31, 2008, 10:43 PM
Allstar

They're both useless ...

Personally, I wouldn't touch either one. Toshiba has had a terrible track record when it comes to reliability lately and Acer has always had questionable build quality on many of their units.

I'd look at Apple, Dell, HP, or Sony, personally.