Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2008, 08:09 PM
Rookie

Default Gateway P-7811 FX

Hello

I am trying to buy the P-7811 laptop by gateway and the key word is trying. Short of driving down to the states and picking it up at a BestBuy there, i don't know how to get this Laptop. Seeing as how i live in Ottawa i would really rather not have to drive always to upstate New York. From what i can tell this Laptop is the best bang for your buck around right now.

Everywhere i turn i can't seem to order this Laptop, it's driving me nuts. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to do. Any suggestions? Is there something basic i have overlooked? BestBuy Canada tells me they won't import from the US, and the US tells me they won't ship it North of the Border. So other then driving downt o Watertown (closest bestbuy that has it) and picking it up in Store there how else might i get this laptop? I do know that the BestBuy Warrenty is good in Canada as well as the states so i am covered there. Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Nick
Old September 15, 2008, 04:33 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It may very well not be available in Canada, or it could be also that the CDN availability date is later than the US one.
Old September 15, 2008, 06:01 AM
Rookie

If the case is that the CND date is later then the American one how can i check that, this laptop only came out in August in the States. Any ideas on when this might show up in BestBuy Canada?

Nick
Old September 15, 2008, 06:21 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natamanchuk View Post
If the case is that the CND date is later then the American one how can i check that, this laptop only came out in August in the States. Any ideas on when this might show up in BestBuy Canada?

Nick
You could always try to call BestBuy, and ask if the laptop will ever be available in Canada, or do the same with Gateway directly.
Old September 15, 2008, 01:11 PM
Allstar

Get the Asus N51 laptop man. ITs rockin, I was thinking of getting one.
Old September 15, 2008, 01:16 PM
Rookie

I have already spoken with Besbuy Canada and they can't help me. They do not do any shipping from the States and Nor do they have any current idea of when this Laptop might be available in Canada. But since they carry a large quantity of Gateway Products and specifically the lower 15" version of this Laptop i can imagine that it will come to Canada Eventually. Like i said i think my only options are to go down to the States and get it inperson from a BestBuy there or to have a friend order it for me from the States and then mail it to me. Ebay.ca seems to have a few kicking around but i have not idea how warrenty would work if i went and got it through ebay.ca. It seems strange to me that this particular Laptop is not sold in Cananda.

Nick
Old September 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

why can't you order it online from the states and get it shipped.
Old September 15, 2008, 02:10 PM
Rookie

BestBuy in the States won't ship to Canada. I could order it and pick it up at the nearest store. Possible even get them to ship it to a UPS store right along the border, but i am not sure if this would work.

Nick
Old September 16, 2008, 12:40 PM
Rookie

Well looks like my quest to get P-7811 FX is coming to an close. It just looks like getting this particular Laptop in Canada is too much of a pain. Maybe in a year or so when Gateway decides to open up a market for them in Canada i might be interested, looking a the way computer tech advances i think in a year time it won't be worth getting.

So i've moved on to getting a HP, while the new Laptops they annouced seem really cool, i don't know when they will be available here. Right now it's the dv7-1014ca and the dv7-1034ca i am looking at. The only real difference is that the secound one has a 2.26 Ghz processor instead of a 2.0 and it has a 500 GB HDD instead of a 320 Gb HDD, at 1300 and 1600 repectively i am not sure which one to go for. Is the faster processor and bigger HDD really worth it.

Nick
Old October 3, 2008, 02:31 PM
Trial Member

dude same stuff happening with me, living in Ottawa and eyes set on this laptop, i have to note that if you're a gamer it should be a noway to get either of these HPs, this Gateway is just a blowaway for gamers... neway lemme know if you come up with a genius plan or would like to have a lil roadtrip down south to buy these babies lol...