Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2008, 01:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Coolermaster Cosmos S Non-XSPC review on a Watercooling build

Hey all i know Cryostage is doing a review on the new XSPC Cosmos S and as it looks like it will be awhile since he gets his case from them and a while till the review is all done im gonna do my review on the Cosmos S which should be delivered to me tommrow by UPS. Btw i was browsing thru the web and saw the watercooling parts that comes with the XSPC well i hope it was legit looks interesting but anyways.

Now keep in mind this case is going to be watercooled, as a lot of new people just like me who recently got bit by the watercooling bug want to maybe do further upgrades except are held back due to case restraints/ size this seems like quiete a good case for watercooling.

It is a pricey case at 240 bucks its not a cheap case its a lot more expensive then my Thermaltake Matrix cage which was at 100 bucks including tax.

Anyways so here are the specs from the coolermaster site as i think its pretty straightforward my concern at the moment is the noise of the 200mm fan as i like my pc to be quiet i wonder if there are any replacement fans out there that would fit this case?

So here are the specs and lookin at UPS it looks like it should arrive tommrow so i cant wait.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Last edited by Dashock; July 2, 2008 at 03:33 AM.
Old July 2, 2008, 01:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old July 3, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well i got the case yesterday and now its time for pics i bought my case at Ncix and it was well packaged lol being such a huge box it wasnt too damaged.

The case is nicely packed with foam and as you can see in the bottom an almost leather like material covers the case matches my leather sofas.

Even more plastic at this point it was getting really annoying as i really wanted to get into the case but this is a good sign as Coolermaster has spent the extra money to ensure no dents or scratches come to the case from shipment to you recieveing it.

Wow i had noo idea this case was going to be as big as it really is i mean i knew it was big but dam this thing is Enermous a little bigger then my brothers Antec Full tower server case.

As you can see this is the place a triple rad can fit im going to be using a Swiftech Mcr-320 and mount it up here with 6x Noctua Nf-p12s in a push/pull config to cool both my Videocard and CPU.

This is the back of the case ill take another pic but it is almost impossible to mount a rad at the back as the back fins cover the right side fan holes where the radboxes long screws need to be fit into unless you mod the case by trimming the right side you can probbaly mount it but another problem arises as if you do the edges of the case will interfer more pics of that soon.
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/

Last edited by Dashock; July 3, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old July 3, 2008, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Impressive to say the least its always an exciting time when new stuff arrives, look forward to the review.
Old July 3, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It honestly is this will be my last big buy of watercooling parts i am done ive spent a lot of money ive learned a lot im happy with my results but there is no need of any more money to be spent other then maybe a new cpu block when i get my quad-core lol man the amount of money ive spent on watercooling! ahhhh anyways im doing tests at the moment the systems all up and running im going to be verry fair with this review all equipment was bought with my own money.... This case is reallly beautifull and all but it has a lot of flaws specifically when its clearly aimed at Watercoolers so lets see how friendly the case really is and what it can improve on.

Please keep in mind this review is being done on this case from a watercooling point of view . Cheers!
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/

Old July 4, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Alright there are 3 fans that come with the case one of the hard drive cage and one on the top mount of the case as well as one on the back end.
I had to take of the fan on the cage as it was wayyy too loud compared to my fan on my Thermaltake Icage so i replaced that and now my system sound is where it should be. I have 6x Noctua Nf-p12s so i want to try to minmize sound as much as possible. The Thermaltake Icage fan also moves a lot more air as my hard drives temps went down by 2 degrees.
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/

Old July 4, 2008, 05:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
Well i got the case yesterday and now its time for pics i bought my case at Ncix and it was well packaged lol being such a huge box it wasnt too damaged.

The case is nicely packed with foam and as you can see in the bottom an almost leather like material covers the case matches my leather sofas.

Even more plastic at this point it was getting really annoying as i really wanted to get into the case but this is a good sign as Coolermaster has spent the extra money to ensure no dents or scratches come to the case from shipment to you recieveing it.

Wow i had noo idea this case was going to be as big as it really is i mean i knew it was big but dam this thing is Enermous a little bigger then my brothers Antec Full tower server case.

As you can see this is the place a triple rad can fit im going to be using a Swiftech Mcr-320 and mount it up here with 6x Noctua Nf-p12s in a push/pull config to cool both my Videocard and CPU.

This is the back of the case ill take another pic but it is almost impossible to mount a rad at the back as the back fins cover the right side fan holes where the radboxes long screws need to be fit into unless you mod the case by trimming the right side you can probbaly mount it but another problem arises as if you do the edges of the case will interfer more pics of that soon.

Very nice i must say send me a pm when u have a chance
Old July 4, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Alright on we go today were gonna take a look at the Front Panel we begin at the top where we find a SHINY Red button.

Comeon press it press it cannot resist well you have to just touch it as the computer starts with just a touch this is quite amusing to me and little things like this make me appreciate the case a little more.

One might wonder there is something missing ???? Where on earth is the reset button??

Well a bit of a shocker to me There is noooo Reset button if your computer hangs you have to simply press the power button to shut off and start it up all over again. I wonder how much more difficult would it have to be to put in a reset button???

Well there is something hiding under the panel which may pay more dividend then a reset button lets take a look with a slide of a panel we see this.

We have from left 4 USB hook ups, Headphone and Mic hook up, Firewire hook up anndd ESATA hook up! If your like me and use an external Sata Hard drive device Tthis plug is welcomed and loosing the reset button for this is well for me worth it.

I like the fact they have this placed at the top of the case the cables for each of these hook ups are very long and you will not find it short in any way so this is a nice touch from Coolermaster.

Alright now to a problem i found the back of the case has 2 holes to route tubing.

The addition of these premounted holes are a nice touch except theres a problem it is impossible to mount a Rad-Box at the back of your case as the holes on the right side are blocked by the back fins. Now you can cut out peices of your back fins but i still believe the fins will interfer with the radbox mounting mechanism. I browsed thru the web i have not yet found anyone with a mounted rad-box and rad at the back of their case.

So Now one might wonder what good are these holes if you cannot mount a rad at the back of your case well there is one way it could be use is if you mount the rad on top of your case but that would not make much sense as you wont be able to mount the plastic top soo as of this point i find these holes useless. I will come back to this further on. ( Comments Welcomed )
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/

Old July 5, 2008, 08:44 AM
Top Prospect

Cooler Master was trying to stay clear away from Rad box mounting thats why they designed the triple rad so u can top mount rads.

If you really want you can mount a rad with a rad box i have seen a few but it is hard work, moving of the sides andso forth.

The holes are used for external Reservoirs!

But great Review
Old July 5, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

nice picture on yer profile btw emm the only way to mount it is cutting off the fins id like to ask them what the two holes on the back are good for as they are practically usesless at this point.
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/