Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   XSPC Passive Aluminium Reservoir 150M Review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/7963-xspc-passive-aluminium-reservoir-150m-review.html)

cryostage June 14, 2008 10:08 PM

XSPC Passive Aluminium Reservoir 150M Review

7 Attachment(s)
Well it is that time again

Thanks to Paul From XSPC for the Reservoir

Well all know we want the best in water cooling or cooling period,
XSPC has made it easier to achieve this goal, but it does raise an issue that we do not have suppliers in Canada, but don’t worry we soon will.
XSPC is a UK company that thrives in changing and adapting in the water cooling world
They have set numerous water cooling records.
XSPC designed a Passive Aluminum Reservoir with inside fins something new from XSPX this can be used not only with your own components but any existing water cooling setup as well.

XSPC 150ML
Blue Passive Aluminium Reservoir " Red Black Silver Colors to choose from and hopefully Clear "
150mm Anodized Aluminium Tube
Acrylic top and base
2x Chromed mounting brackets
Removable Blue LED (4pin molex)
G1/4" Thread
Weight 700g
Dimensions: 180x70x70mm
Supplied with mounting kit

Sorry I could not take pictures of the packaging because my wife thought the package was for her, my mistake as I was the one to asked Paul to put the shipping in her name since I am always working.... but this res was packaged very good for the flight that it had to indore. lol

Just a side note XSPC, does not have many fancy packaging for their products, it is just straight foward just a box with a single colour label depicting the contents.
But from time to time XSPC. Does change their pattern of their packaging. To the change of time...To appeal to the new changes of water cooling.

However everything is packed well, with the box arriving in a larger, bubble wrap filled box with some other components. In the case of the XSPC Passive Aluminium Reservoir, you receive the reservoir itself, two mounting rings, and various nuts and bolts as well as a Blue LED to put in the base. As far as connection options has G” Thread to take barbs, compression nuts, push fittings.

Before we get straight to looking at the reservoir, I want to take a moment to comment on the O ring mounts supplied. XSPC have supplied these with a foam inlay and chrome effect, so they not only protect the reservoirs anodized coating from scratches, they also look good while doing it. The downside is of course they are very susceptible to fingerprints but who will care when you have performance

Here is a quick info on Anodized Aluminium

Anodized aluminium
Aluminium alloys are anodized to increase corrosion resistance, to increase surface hardness, and to allow dyeing (coloring), improved lubrication, or improved adhesion.
When exposed to air at room temperature, or any another gas containing oxygen, pure aluminium self-passivates by forming a surface layer of amorphous aluminium oxide 2 to 3 nm thick[3] which provides very effective protection against corrosion. Aluminium alloys typically form a thicker oxide layer, 5-15 nm thick, but tend to be more susceptible to corrosion. Aluminium alloy parts are anodized to greatly increase the thickness of this layer for corrosion resistance. The corrosion resistance of aluminium alloys is significantly decreased by certain alloying elements or impurities: copper, iron, and silicon,[4] so 2000, 4000, and 6000-series alloys tend to be most susceptible. Most aluminium aircraft parts, architectural materials, and consumer products are anodized. Anodized aluminium can be found on mp3 players, flashlights, cookware, cameras, sporting goods, window frames, roofs, in electrolytic capacitors, and on many other products both for corrosion resistance and the ability to retain dye. Although anodizing only has moderate wear resistance, the deeper pores can better retain a lubricating film than a smooth surface would. For example, the cylinders of a modern BMW aluminium V8 engine have no loose liner: instead, the walls are hard anodized. This complicates a reboring operation (although not common, given the longevity of modern engines due to improved lubricants), as the hard coating must be restored if the block is rebored. (Earlier liner-free aluminium block designs use specific aluminium alloys, with softer components chemically etched away to expose the harder portions of the mixed crystal structure.)
Anodized coatings have a much lower thermal conductivity and coefficient of linear expansion than aluminium. As a result, the coating will crack from thermal stress if exposed to temperatures above 80 C. The coating can crack, but it will not peel.[5] The melting point of aluminium oxide is 2050 C, much higher than pure aluminium's 658 C.[5] (This can make welding more difficult.) In typical commercial aluminium anodization processes, the aluminium oxide is grown down into the surface and out from the surface by equal amounts. So anodizing will increase the part dimensions on each surface by half of the oxide thickness. For example a coating that is (2 μm) thick, will increase the part dimensions by (1 μm) per surface. If the part is anodized on all sides, then all linear dimensions will increase by the oxide thickness. Anodized aluminium surfaces are harder than aluminium but have low to moderate wear resistance, although this can be improved with thickness and sealing.

Now back to the review..
I’m looking at the anodized Blue version of the XSPC Passive Aluminium Reservoir, which has a finned circumference with 2 clear acrylic cap at either end. The top caps unscrew easily enough to allow you to fill the reservoir from the top/attach the barbs to the bottom.
One thing I would like to mention about the base is that when it comes to the barbs, it takes a G1/4" Barbs but it is up to you to buy the Barbs of your chossing like (Fat Boy) G 1/4 1/2 Fittings my favs

When you take the top cap off and look down inside the reservoir, we can see that the inside which has the same fins which acts like a cooling agent which aids the flow of levels,
Now there is a tube in the inner walls that make sure that water returning to the system is deposited in the reservoir away from the outlet to prevent the warmer water from going directly back into the system via the outlet next to it; an obvious but none-the-less good idea.
Unscrewing the bottom is not longer available like in V1

XSPC have really out done them selfs big time.. I am not taking sides or kissing butt but you have to admit that when it comes to water cooling products such as this beautiful Res XSPC knows what they are doing..

Like Rick Flair would say " To Be The Man You Have To Beat The Man"..... And XSPC is the Man but for how long,
see with XSPC they hate to be second in the race for performance but at the same time they do take there sweet time in coming up
with such great ideas in how to cool water.

unlike Swiftech res which is small and all Acrylic and user friendly but the down fall of swiftech is the res cap which sometimes does not close properly which can build condensation if the cap is not fitted tight. but it is not the customers fault for the threads being off just by a hair it is still a great newbe product,

But this baby gives you that snug fit cap and the freedom to pick and choose your installation location. The down fall of this res is that it might be to big for your case. with Dimensions: 180x70x70mm and Weight 700g

One thing I do want to point out is that like any cylindrical reservoir, there is nothing stopping you from mounting this horizontally as opposed to vertically, although you will need to have the reservoir in the vertical position to fill the system.

So I hope that XSPC is reading, That maybe they can look into a short version of this res. Hint Hint.

In the base is a small hole, aligned centrally and ready to accept the supplied Blue LED. The LED is wired and ready to go; all you need do is plug it into the power. It doesn’t have a pass thru connection so you will need a dedicated power plug for the LED, and should you not wish to use the LED at all then you simply don’t install it. It also looks pretty good with the LED installed from the top.

Watercooling Setup and Flow Order
Swiftech 655 > D-tek V2 > XSPC Passive Aluminium Reservoir > Thermochill Triple Radiator > Swiftech655 Pump
small note I would of rather used Laing DDC Top with Swiftech or the Laing DDC Reservoir in a second test
but XSPC did not have in stock lol
but no worrys soon as they do I will try to have on inmy hands for testing...

Just a quick FYI will release test results this weekend I will only test for temps underload and in idle

enaberif June 15, 2008 12:43 AM

Nice!

I just bought a resevoir for myself... aluminum anodized red :D

CanadaRox June 15, 2008 01:32 AM

I would think that putting this in a system with copper, and no anti-corrosion fluid would result in a damaged block and/or reservoir (assuming you are using a copper block).

enaberif June 15, 2008 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaRox (Post 62209)
I would think that putting this in a system with copper, and no anti-corrosion fluid would result in a damaged block and/or reservoir (assuming you are using a copper block).

Gonna wager its aluminum and on top of that don't most pre-mixed fluids have anti-corrosive in them?

Jack Rabbit June 15, 2008 03:47 AM

That is a good looking reservoir. How much does it actually aid in cooling?

cryostage June 15, 2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaRox (Post 62209)

Copper can oxidize, forming copper oxide. More often than not it combines with other chemicals in the environment, for example with sulfur to form copper sulfate. Rust, by the way, is oxidized iron.

Copper is just fine and yes i am useing a copper block, with swiftech additive..

cryostage June 15, 2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit (Post 62212)
That is a good looking reservoir. How much does it actually aid in cooling?

That I will be test as soon as i get my new digital manometer just need to find one again I droped mine the other day...

V1 did a very good job cooling but dont take this as the final cooling results
i will be testing soon as i can once manimeter is here i want the right
resulst.

I know with my D-tek v2 and thermochill rad that i can reach temps on ide
up to 25C and below reason being is that with this res the inner fins acts like a a cooling agent isolating the heat coming in, then once the heat has been isolated
it goes back into the system so you are getting 2 types of cooling one from rad second from res, unlike many other res's to date this is the first thatt i have seen on the market... and it is not as big as most people think.

cryostage June 15, 2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 62210)
Gonna wager its aluminum and on top of that don't most pre-mixed fluids have anti-corrosive in them?

It is Aluminum all or most fluids have anti-corrosive in them aluminum
does not rust very easy but i could be wrong lol

magictorch June 15, 2008 01:25 PM

Its a very elegant design although I bet it costs a bit if it comes from the UK:sad:

Anyway if the price/performance was right Id definitely get one-much better looking than my current one.

enaberif June 15, 2008 01:45 PM

$50 ebay shipped
http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...2/OCT-0002.jpg