Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2008, 10:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

thanks guys but no, i am not trying to convert everyone to DDR3. if your benching SPi though, it is an almost must if you want to keep up to me
Old May 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
Top Prospect

I'm really hoping some 4GBx2 kits come out by February for less then $400. I'm not jumping onto the DDR3 bandwagon till 4GBx2 kits and Nehelem are released.
On a side note, great review.
James
Old May 18, 2008, 07:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
I'm really hoping some 4GBx2 kits come out by February for less then $400. I'm not jumping onto the DDR3 bandwagon till 4GBx2 kits and Nehelem are released.
On a side note, great review.
James
With Nehalem we will actually see the advent of 3X 2GB kits due it its unique memory controller....supposedly.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
With Nehalem we will actually see the advent of 3X 2GB kits due it its unique memory controller....supposedly.
That'll be nice to see.... I'll be able to stop doing a double take everytime I see a laptop being sold with 3G of memory... WTH is up with that?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 18, 2008, 08:02 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Yeah, should be interesting. Though, considering it'll be a first time thing, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm still hoping 4GB DDR3 sticks will be introduced towards the end of this year, so that when I purchase Nehalem, I won't need to fill all the banks right off the bat.
I feel the 4GB isn't going to cut it in a year

Quote:
That'll be nice to see.... I'll be able to stop doing a double take everytime I see a laptop being sold with 3G of memory... WTH is up with that?
Well can you imagine the outcry they'd experience if the put 4GB in? With the introduction of SP1, I'm sure the OEMs forced Microsoft to adjust what the operating system can "see" so that people won't be calling for tech support when their computer cannot utilize all 4GB of RAM (they'd never find out, assuming they have limited computer knowledge). Due to this update, I'm sure we are going to be seeing many more 4GB laptops, 3GB is pointless as it kills dual channel. I really, really hope Microsoft makes Windows 7 64bit exclusive.
James
Old May 18, 2008, 09:37 PM

who cares about 4GB or 8GB kits when 2x1GB kits are sooo much fun...oh, you mean you guys actually use your computers for something other than Everest and SPi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
1M SPi // 15K+ Everest :: 1130MHz 8-7-6
click for full size...including memset

Ahhh, the breaks from banging my head against the wall with an un-named X48 DDR3 motherboard make the whole day seem like it wasn't a waste. This setup is absolutely a treat to work with and despite hitting a FSB wall at 595MHz, I continue to find ways to make things happen with this board...and boy are the Ballistix willing instruments.
Old May 18, 2008, 10:03 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Wow......really, what more is there to say?
Old May 19, 2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Wow......really, what more is there to say?
thanks but things are already starting to look bad. a number of users have reported buying this memory and it having D9JNL on it, which was to be expected to be honest, but why did i get D9GTS? i normally would chalk it up to luck of the draw and as of late, my luck has been outstanding (790i MB and golden E8400)...but my modules don't have a batch number on them. this is something i am discussing with Crucial as we speak.

if i am not satisfied with the results, the whole OC Report will need updating to state that these results are in no way an accurate representation of what this kit is capable of...but we aren't there quite yet.
Old May 19, 2008, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
who cares about 4GB or 8GB kits when 2x1GB kits are sooo much fun
I'd have to agree they are fun, but I'm getting a MIPS waterblock for my RAM (hopefully I get one before NCIX sells out!), so flipping RAM out becomes unpractical. I'm still impressed you were able to push these sticks that far with a command rate of 1T.

Quote:
but my modules don't have a batch number on them. this is something i am discussing with Crucial as we speak.
I thought all RAM companies have begun renaming the ICs and are keeping the information a secret so that the hardware cannot be traced to a manufacture (keeping the competition out of their IC stash).
James
Old May 19, 2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
I thought all RAM companies have begun renaming the ICs and are keeping the information a secret so that the hardware cannot be traced to a manufacture (keeping the competition out of their IC stash).
James
nahh, those days are all but done. everyone knows what ICs are on what kits and what ICs will do what. a company may find a new IC that will bin for a certain speed but the minute they announce the kit, everyone else will know as well.