Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Xigmatek´s Achilles S1284 Vs. Thermalright Kings (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/6748-xigmatek-s-achilles-s1284-vs-thermalright-kings.html)

Nosferatu May 6, 2008 03:10 PM

Xigmatek´s Achilles S1284 Vs. Thermalright Kings
 
Just wanted to share this review from our small site here in Denmark.

Hope im not violation any forum rules. If so fell free to slap me :)


Xigmatek´s new Achilles S1284 Vs. ThermalRigth 120-Ultra and IFX-14.
We have received this pre-production sample from our freinds at Coolerkit.Dk

We just had to give you a view of the performance, but please take note.
When the final edition is ready for production, the performance migth drop a few C°...


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/...834e4c7d_o.jpg

Up for test is the Xigmatek Achilles S1284, like its predecessors it comes with the H.D.T. (Heatpipe Direct Touch)
It will be tested against the Thermalright 120-Ultra, Thermalright IFX-14, and last but not least Intel boxed cooler.
The fan from the s1284 will be used to give a fair comparison.


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2048/...d8a69719_o.jpg
The cooler arrived in a fancy box, decorated with a Ancient Greek amour shield.
As you can see the cooler is turned upside down, revealing the unik Xigmatek signature, the H.D.T. (Heatpipe Direct Touch)


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/...38b33225_o.jpg
In comparing to the S1283, the fan has been upgraded a bit,
life expectancy has been increased, noise lowered,
the hight has been increased 10 mm and 60 grams of mass has been added.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2002/...7a9be957_o.jpg
Package & accessories

The Package
Two retention brackets for mainboards with LGA775 socket
Retention bracket for mainboards with Socket 654/939/940 and Socket AM2
Spoiler-plate; Two screws for LGA775 socket retention
1g pack of SilMORE thermal grease.
4 fan anti-vibration mounts


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/...02dafe75_o.jpg
The cooler in profile

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/...4f6d5caa_o.jpg
H.D.T. (Heatpipe Direct Touch)
If one compare the H.D.T system used in the "old" S1283 you will notice that the
heatpipes have been placed a few mm from each other, this will help absorb the
heat from Quard and Tri-core Processors better.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2324/...7003d3e8_o.jpg
Assembly of the cooler is very easy, for example the anti-vibration rubber pices to mount the 120mm fan i find very cleverly designed.
And it lowers the vibrations and noise considerably.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/...861cc8c8_o.jpg
Mounting the Two retention brackets for LGA775 socket is a very easy process.

http://flickr.com/photos/15954283@N0...14994/sizes/o/
Finish assembled and ready to rock, dosent she look beautiful?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/...7a7253cd_o.jpg
Nice and quiet 120mm fan with 4 white leds, Cool even though our picture dosent do her justice. !

Testbed and Methods
  • OS: Windows xp sp2
  • Mainboard: Asus commando
  • Cpu: E8500 (Lapped)
  • Graphics card: Msi 6600GT
  • Memory: G.skill 8000hz
  • Harddisk: RaptorX 150
  • System case: Lian li pc65
  • Power supply: NorthQ NQ-4001at basic power
  • Cooling past: Shin Etsu G751
  • Room temp 19-19,5C


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2342/...1053ce92_o.jpg


Test 1 will be made passivly, at stock speed and volt, except for the Intel boxed cooler.
Test 2 will be made with stock speed and volt, and for better comparison.
The Thermalright 120-ultra and IFX-14 will be using the Xigmatek cooling fan.
Test 3 will be made with 4180 Mhz and 1.3volt.
All 3 coolers will be using the Xigmatek´s cooling fan as mentioned erliger to give a more fair comparison. Except for the Intel boxed cooler, that will not be included in this test.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/...50899d19_o.jpg
Temps are Messured with Coretemp 0.98

Conclusion.
The Xigmatex Achilles amazed me by the ease of the installation, its very well thought through.
But performance wise, it can´t quite keep up with the 120-ultra or IFX-14.
But taken in consideration that this is a pre-production sample, that the performance should be better when it hits the market and that the price of the Xigmatek Achilles S1284 gives you very good price/performance that cannot be mached by any other in the market.

Xigmatex Achilles S1284 Preproduction sample provided by Coolerkit.Dk
Written and tested by Nanok :))
Photo by Hans Nissen

Cptn Vortex May 6, 2008 04:42 PM

Great review, however, can you post a pic of the base of the Heatsink after it has been installed on the CPU? I want to see if the CPU actually makes contact with all 4 heatpipes. From the look of it, it looks like it would only touch 2 of them, the ones in the middle. The outside heatpipes may be too far away to do any good.

enaberif May 6, 2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 56219)
Great review, however, can you post a pic of the base of the Heatsink after it has been installed on the CPU? I want to see if the CPU actually makes contact with all 4 heatpipes. From the look of it, it looks like it would only touch 2 of them, the ones in the middle. The outside heatpipes may be too far away to do any good.

I agree and the stock fan probably sucks too for proper airflow for this cooler.

Nosferatu May 7, 2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 56219)
Great review, however, can you post a pic of the base of the Heatsink after it has been installed on the CPU? I want to see if the CPU actually makes contact with all 4 heatpipes. From the look of it, it looks like it would only touch 2 of them, the ones in the middle. The outside heatpipes may be too far away to do any good.

I have sent your request on to our reviewer. I belive you can be correct. Althrow Im not sure how much it effects the performance.

One can wounder why they dident just let the heatpipes spreed out wider :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 56224)
I agree and the stock fan probably sucks too for proper airflow for this cooler.

61,3 CMF isent what I would call Sucks m8.
That is rated as a strong fan.

enaberif May 7, 2008 01:24 AM

CFM means nothing when it comes to a fan for a heatsink and you need to learn that.

Static Pressure means a lot more when it comes to a fan for a CPU than CFM.

You could have 600 CFM on a fan but if it can't move air through the heatsink its not gonna cool anything down. This is why Noctua brought out the NF-P12 series as they are a high static pressure fan designed to push air through heatsinks to allow proper cooling.

Do a bit more research before thinking CFM means everything in fact I dare you to redo these tests with a NF-P12 fan compared to stock and I'll put money down that the NF-P12 will provide better results.

Nosferatu May 7, 2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 56278)
CFM means nothing when it comes to a fan for a heatsink and you need to learn that.

Static Pressure means a lot more when it comes to a fan for a CPU than CFM.

You could have 600 CFM on a fan but if it can't move air through the heatsink its not gonna cool anything down. This is why Noctua brought out the NF-P12 series as they are a high static pressure fan designed to push air through heatsinks to allow proper cooling.

Do a bit more research before thinking CFM means everything in fact I dare you to redo these tests with a NF-P12 fan compared to stock and I'll put money down that the NF-P12 will provide better results.

hehe relax mate. You are having a heart attack man.
Im fully aware of static pressure, and please provide me a link proving that the fan suks ?
You propperly cant, because you and I dont know.

dont freak out like that, is this the way you treat new users? I have been polite and stated my openion without offending anywon.
Jesus....

EDIT and BTW from calling the fan bad to wanting to compare it to a 20-30$ fan. That has no comparision mate.

Remember the heatsink is extreemly cheap, and even so it almost outperforms the True 120.
the 1283 has done so many times.

SugarJ May 7, 2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 56219)
Great review, however, can you post a pic of the base of the Heatsink after it has been installed on the CPU? I want to see if the CPU actually makes contact with all 4 heatpipes. From the look of it, it looks like it would only touch 2 of them, the ones in the middle. The outside heatpipes may be too far away to do any good.

Check the review at Benchmark Reviews, Olin has a picture of the contact area inked onto the bottom of the cooler. Along with his usual confrontational style of writing. At least he's passionate about his opinions, like some other people on this thread. :haha:

Welcome aboard Nosferatu, and there's always someone who'll disagree with what you post. Some are just more polite about it than others. I like that you used the same fan in order to compare results. Could both HSF's benefit from a Noctua? Certainly. But not the point of the review.

encorp May 7, 2008 09:49 PM

I get the idea of putting a heatpipe directly on the processor but I don't like the idea of all those gaps between the mounting and the pipes. Sure with these designs you can just fill it with goop or whatever but I'd like to see a company get those pipes close and tighter to their base, or find away to remove that base construction - some way they need to make a nice, shiny flat surface out of those heatpipes and then I think they'll really be on to something. I dunno, I could be way wrong but it just bugs me seeing gaps like that.

Great review though, keep it up.. learn from it and add that to your new ones!

Nosferatu May 8, 2008 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 56484)
Check the review at Benchmark Reviews, Olin has a picture of the contact area inked onto the bottom of the cooler. Along with his usual confrontational style of writing. At least he's passionate about his opinions, like some other people on this thread. :haha:

Welcome aboard Nosferatu, and there's always someone who'll disagree with what you post. Some are just more polite about it than others. I like that you used the same fan in order to compare results. Could both HSF's benefit from a Noctua? Certainly. But not the point of the review.

Yes some people take offence event though you put alot of :D :) :p ;)
Thx for the wellcome sir ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by encorp (Post 56485)
I get the idea of putting a heatpipe directly on the processor but I don't like the idea of all those gaps between the mounting and the pipes. Sure with these designs you can just fill it with goop or whatever but I'd like to see a company get those pipes close and tighter to their base, or find away to remove that base construction - some way they need to make a nice, shiny flat surface out of those heatpipes and then I think they'll really be on to something. I dunno, I could be way wrong but it just bugs me seeing gaps like that.

Great review though, keep it up.. learn from it and add that to your new ones!

A littel more like this one then :D
It makes a funny link if you dont provide it mannualy

Here you se the "funny" link http://www.pccooler.cn/Products/hp-1204X/1204X.htm

Nosferatu May 8, 2008 05:17 AM

²úÆ·×ÊѶ

Just a post to create the funny link again. IF possible :D
EDIT
Yes here it is.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM.