Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2014, 08:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default My time with the Nixeus NX-VUE27D 27" 2560x1400 IPS monitor

Hi guys,

I posted this review of the Nixeus NX-VUE27D on NCIX.com and thought I'd share it here. I'm no expert and this is my first such writing, but it might be helpful to someone who's considering purchasing this model.

Nixeus Vue 27″ IPS LED Monitor 25601440 DisplayPort Only

I jumped on this monitor when I saw it on sale at NCIX.

I had read some reviews and they were mostly favourable, even though this is one of those cheaper Korean models and the quality isn't top-notch. Good colours were what I was looking for and this monitor seemed to deliver. It was either this one or a Dell U2713HM for $600 plus warranty and tax. I went into this buy telling myself that since I'd get NCIX's 30-day Express Coverage and NCIX's 3-year Express Exchange warranty, the Nixeus NX-VUE27D was worth the risk.

Today I regret that decision.

The monitor arrived quickly but I immediately noticed that the adjustable stand wasn't working properly. When changing the display's height, I have to try 3-4 times before getting it to stay put instead of just falling under its weight. Once plugged in, I waited for sundown to inspect the monitor. Terrible backlight bleeding. I then inspected the monitor for dead/stuck pixels and found one in the bottom-right quadrant of the display. I decided to exchange the unit.

I wrote to NCIX online and they were glad to RMA the monitor as it was covered for any dead pixels. As that model in particular was backordered, I had to wait about a week before getting another unit cross-shipped. When the time came I made the required phone call and was told that I'd need to pay for the second unit until they receive the first one. Fair enough I guess but having this extra load on my credit card made me be a bit uncomfortable. I went for it anyway.

When I got the second unit, I plugged it in and inspected it once it got dark. The backlight bleeding was as bad as the first model, but in different places, and I found a stuck pixel smack on the Windows 8 logo. As that pixel would be staring me in the face for years to come, I just couldn't keep this monitor. It had to go back.

I hadn't sent back the first unit at this point, so I went to put the new arrival back in its box when I noticed a gap at the top-center point of the screen, where the panel and the backboard meet, with strands of glue stretched across. The monitor was quite hot so I assume it melted the glue which could no longer keep the panel in place. Looking at the first unit, I noticed the panel sticking out but not enough to expose a gap. God this model's cheap. Anyway, I got the shipping label printed and sent it off on the same day. NCIX later assured me that there wouldn't be a problem RMAing the unit due to this other issue, which is apparently a common one.

I still have time to cross-ship another unit but after all this trouble, I've given up. I also don't want to charge a third unit to my credit card ($1,100+ total). The stuck pixel on the first unit is not noticeable unless I look for it and I don't want to risk getting another unit which is worse again. The backlight bleeding is bad but I guess I'm willing to live with it. I have considered RMAing this unit and going for the Dell I had my eyes on earlier, but I'm just too tired after this whole ordeal.

I'd also like to talk about the monitor's brightness level, which is incredibly high. My eyes tire easily sitting in front of this monitor. The only calibration options are two buttons (BRT- and BRT+), which barely make a difference to the brightness level. Is this a joke? I had to tone down the brightness and contrast via my video card software, which produces a poor result.

Enough of the bad and onto some good. The colours on this monitor are superb and the 2560 x 1440 resolution is fantastic. I love gaming on this monitor, even though the refresh rate is capped at 60 Hz. (There's quite a bit of ghosting in Watchdogs when driving at high speed.) 27" is very big and perfect if you're at arm's length from your screen. I love word processing (two pages side-by-side) and web browsing (so many tabs!) on this monitor. Watching movies on this display is a bit of a challenge because that's when the backlight bleeding becomes fully apparent (and a bit distracting).

I'm giving this monitor 2 stars on 5. It works, but I wouldn't buy it again. If you're on a tight budget, looking for a 27" 1440p IPS display, and aren't too picky, then this monitor might be the one for you. I on the other hand am a bit of a perfectionist and this monitor doesn't cut it. If buying from NCIX, make sure you get the 30-day Express Coverage for the zero dead pixel exchange policy. You won't regret it.

Frugalmeister

Last edited by Frugalmeister; August 11, 2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old August 11, 2014, 08:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalmeister View Post
I'd also like to talk about the monitor's brightness level, which is incredibly high. My eyes tire easily sitting in front of this monitor. The only calibration options are two buttons (BRT- and BRT+), which barely make a difference to the brightness level. Is this a joke? I had to tone down the brightness and contrast via my video card software, which produces a poor result.
This was my experience with my Crossover 27Q-P. Through around 10 months of use, I attempted different strategies to mitigate the brightness issue to no avail. My eyes felt very bad after extended gaming sessions.

What I loved about it was the lack of processing lag. I'm waiting for a decent 27" with a proper low latency gaming mode before attempting another upgrade.
Old August 11, 2014, 09:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
My eyes felt very bad after extended gaming sessions.
Yes. :(

Frugalmeister
Old August 12, 2014, 10:36 AM
Allstar

Also be aware that Nixeus isn't great at supporting their product. I got burnt by one of their media players as promised firmware never showed up as they started work on a new model and then never went back to support the older on. Not a company I will give my money to anymore.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old August 12, 2014, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect

Sorry to hear that...

I was looking at a Korean import myself recently as I was interested in IPS at 120hz.... This was one of the models that I looked at. I actually bought an Overlord Tempest OC instead. I have to say that I have been very lucky with my choice. Perhaps you can return the second unit for a refund and purchase something else???

Plenty of help online regarding the backlight bleed: Backlight Bleeding: A LCD Problem

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...acklight+bleed

Last edited by Footman; August 12, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

LOL, vertical lines down my screen yesterday. I should have kept my big mouth shut!!! RMA time for me too....
Old August 13, 2014, 11:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Damn, sorry to hear that. I'm really not comfortable opening up my monitor to correct the backlight bleeding as that would most certainly void the warranty.

I've changed my mind and asked NCIX to ship me a third unit. I don't expect it to be better, but you never know, and at worst I still hold onto this one.

Frugalmeister
Old August 15, 2014, 12:21 AM
MVP

How much was the nixeus with the extra warranty and shipping? I bought my wife a benq bl2710pt for just over 450 yesterday from amazon (510 after tax). Benq is not a top tier brand but I think you get an Ok stand, more inputs and controls little more reputable warranty, plus easier exchanges and free shipping. It has not shown up yet but I'm hoping QC is better too.
Something to consider if the nixeus doesn't pan out.
Old August 15, 2014, 02:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

U2713HM on sale is hard to beat, usually see them drop price 3- 4 times a year. Not ideal for gaming from ghosting etc but I have no backlight bleed or the like.

Thinking gsync for my next screen for games IPS for everything else :)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 17, 2014, 06:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoosebum View Post
How much was the nixeus with the extra warranty and shipping?
The total with shipping was around $450 before tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
U2713HM on sale is hard to beat, usually see them drop price 3- 4 times a year. Not ideal for gaming from ghosting etc but I have no backlight bleed or the like.
Unfortunately I'm out of money now so can't afford the Dell even if I got a refund for the Nixeus. With warranty and taxes I'd expect it to cost around $700 if not more, even on sale.

I got my third Nixeus NX-VUE27D the other day: two stuck pixels and equally bad backlight bleeding. What's more, something I've noticed with monitors #2 and #3 is a light vertical brush finish on the screen itself which is obvious when a solid black is displayed. These two units came after the monitor was backordered at NCIX so maybe this is the new norm for this model. Thankfully unit #1, which I plan on keeping, doesn't "suffer" from this. Unit #3 has been sent back.

Again, I do not recommend this monitor. I'm settling with the idea that at least I can upgrade in a year or two when G-Sync and FreeSync are well established. IMO I shouldn't have to settle with this thought after shelling out $400 for a new monitor. Very disappointed.

Frugalmeister