Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2008, 03:27 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default CoolIT Systems Freezone Elite

CoolIT Systems - Freezone Elite CPU Cooler

I have been an owner and supporter of CoolIt Mtech coolers since I purchased the Eliminator in December 2006 for my E6300. With the influx and consecutive price reductions of Intel chips I soon upgraded to a Q6600 and with it came higher temps so I began looking for my next step up in cooling.

A Q6700 recently came available and the next day I just happened to find the CoolIT Freezone Elite onsale at NCIX for $349.00 CDN a $100.00 savings off the manufacturers retail price. Having experienced the durability and performance available in the Eliminator and the fact that I have never seen a sale price on any model of cooler available from them I decided to jump it.

Now I will not lie and tell you that the Eliminator was a silent pc cooling solution unless you're running stock speeds. If you run intensive games, a moderate OC or are into blazing hot intensive benchmarking or running FaH clients at 100% cpu usage, the Eliminator sounds like a noisy barfridge as it only has 3 temp settings (low, medium, high) and comes equipped with a noisy 90mm fan. The Freezone on the other hand has a nice 120mm fan and is as noisy at 100% fan and pump speed as the Eliminator was at low speed. The freezone at idle has a soft whir to it and I didn't even know my pc was on as I was watching the fights last night

The Freezone Elite comes with a nifty piece of hardware and a software package appropriately named the Mtech Control Center that has as its main feature "predictive cooling technology" a set and forget feature that lets you determine your coolant temperature and the Mtech Control Center (MtCC) will automatically adjust fan and pump speed to regulate flow to maintain your desired temperature and has another nifty 3D graph that allows you to monitor temperatures and usage in realtime

It also has an alarm that will shut down your system incase of pump failure and will email you if it detects pump, fan, software or system shutdown.
It also has 2 controllers so you are able to control your cpu and also a chipset or graphics solution cooler with the same controller

My test system:
EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard
Q6700 SLACQ 10x330mhz 3.3ghz @ 1.3vcore
Mushkin XP-2 Redline 2x2GB DDR2 8000 @ 1000mhz 5,5,5,18 2T
EVGA 8800GTS Scc 640mb @ 620/1500/100mhz
WD Sata2 160GB HD
WinXPpro SP3

I first set my coolant temp at 20c and that seemed to set the fan and pump off even at idle to keep the coolant temps low so I reset at 25c (default) and allowed the predictive cooling feature of the Freezone to take control.

As you can see it did its job keeping the coolant and my cpu at 25c idle 75% fan/pump speed.

I used 4 instances of FaH running 24 hours one instance for each core to stress the cpu and reached 38c 100% load 100% fan/pump speed with a 27c coolant temperature. A mere 13c between idle and load temps with a 25% overclock.

For comparative purposes I used the same FaH configuration on a Q6600 overclocked to 3.ghz @ 1.25vcore and the CoolIT Eliminator running at 100% load hit 68c cpu temp according to Coretemp for an astronomical difference of 30c between the 2 coolers

Conclusion
I was not expecting the efficiency of the Freezone Elite to be so dramatic so am very surprised at the temperatures recorded and the price I was able to aqcuire the unit for. I have not pushed this cpu with any extreme voltage so the overclocking potential is still undetermined, however given the performance at a 25% OC I can only see good things to come and highly recommend this product to anyone willing to spend a few dollars for an enclosed, safe peltier watercooling solution

As an afterthought I decided to see what would happen if I set the coolant temperature to 0c and hit 13c cpu idle temperature after about 20minutes but forgot to take a SS as it was after 2am :)

BUY CANADIAN

Last edited by Scratch; May 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's pretty impressive!...I himmed and hawwed about getting one too but decided to wait and see what you had to say about it with the new chip (glad it's working out btw)...why did ya take so long??!!...now they're back up to reg price on NCIX...lol...however...it is selling for $365.01 (+$15 shp) Extreme PC maybe I'll go for it, I better(ask the wife)check the funds 1st

Old May 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
Allstar

dman,

what a nice setup, and god dman nice temp, 38C full laod on a quad thats hard to beat with water ...

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old May 2, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just happened across this review, thought you might like it [H] Enthusiast - CoolIT Freezone Chilled Liquid CPU Cooler

Old May 2, 2008, 05:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yea nice review a little more indepth on the hardware side but that is also for the Freezone, not the Elite edition that has addressed the problems mentioned in his review. The Elite has a 120mm fan (very quiet) and the included Mtech controller has dual ports so that you are able to hook up another loop if you wish. I'm thinking of buying their graphics card cooler
The main reason I posted was that I had an issue with the Mtech controller not recognizing my USB so went to the CoolIT forum to see what was up (found out it was due to my MCCremoteservices not running) but some dumba$$ had posted how this thing wouldn't cool a quadcore. Obviously it cools it quite efficiently and yea I'm impressed lol
This waterblock could be lapped and probably take off another 3-4c and its now been 2 days and I think the AC MX-2 has set because the temps have actually fallen another 2c at load over the last 14 hours.

I would have posted sooner but tourist season has started so have been a little busy in Victoria :). Haven't even had time to do the new ram or play with the cpu to its potential
Old May 2, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, like I mentioned, I'd like to get 1 for my qx9650 but I just ordered 2 780i mb's, 2 E8400's, 2 9800GTX's and 2 OCZ 700w SLI PSU's from NCIX and still need HDD's, ram and dvd drives for a couple of systems I'm building so funds are getting a little thin..lol...hopefully next mth if all goes well, I'll check with ya to see how yours is holding up

Well, I couldn't wait!...I ordered 1...lol

Last edited by kruzn4evr; May 3, 2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old May 16, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How's the Q6700 and the coolit elite holding up?....I tried ordering 1 but got jerked around by..I won't mention the company, lets just say they were VERY unprofessional and I was "EXTREME"ly disappointed. Anyhow, I decided to take the plunge (pardon the pun) and purchased a WC kit from NCIX, should be here anytime now so if I don't post again in the next few days?...I did it wrong and fried it ....lol

Old May 16, 2008, 07:34 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Hardware Canucks will have a review of the Elite up shortly but until then, this is a great little review.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:42 PM
MVP

Nice.

I had the Freezone [regular] a while ago, but returned it since it was way too loud.
At with it set to quieter, it wasn't even better than air.

Thank god they finally figured out it needed a 120mm fan.
Old May 20, 2008, 05:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As a small sneak peak: the fan that comes with the Elite model w/ mtec REV 2 controller is very NICE. Even & 100% load the noise it creates is mainly wind noise. Which makes sense as its moving 120cfm! Under 60% load it makes less noise than a Scythe E and .... thats all I'm saying for now ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 20, 2008 at 10:44 AM.