Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Capitolin View Post
Did you mean the total overall size, or the resolution? I had the SOYO 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor DYLM24D6 and it was just too large for my desk. I like that the Samsung has very little trim around the LCD panel, but it too would probably be too large for my tastes. All of this is a bit odd, considering that I now use a Samsung 204B 20.1" LCD, which uses the 1600x1200 resolution. It is essentially a standard version of the widescreen product.
Overall size.

My desk is plenty large enough but basically what was happening was that when I was focused on the middle of the screen my perihperal vision would watch the outside borders giving me headaches.
Old January 4, 2009, 09:52 AM
Trial Member

Thumbs down Don't buy from Samsung: Garbage Warranty

I called Samsung about my flickering backlight, they said it was covered under warranty and offered to send me a replacement. I told Samsung I'd prefer to have the monitor repaired as opposed to replaced. Samsung replied they only repair (locally in town) monitors that are sized greater than my monitor's size, so my monitor doesn't qualify for a repair. I confided, I said had scratched the surface of the LCD panel with a pencil, and thought it was fair to have the backlight repaired rather than have the whole unit replaced. The rep went away, came back and replied that they would NOT honour the warranty on the backlight because they couldn't prove the scratches weren't the cause of the backlight flickering.

Good diagnosis and over the phone too! You must be psychic!

I was trying to be honest with them and they screwed me for it. I believe they screwed me because they couldn't easily refurbish my monitor if they exchanged it.

Shady company. For the love of God don't waste your money on this company. Buy from Sony who cares about repeat customers.
Old January 4, 2009, 10:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresgriego View Post
I called Samsung about my flickering backlight, they said it was covered under warranty and offered to send me a replacement. I told Samsung I'd prefer to have the monitor repaired as opposed to replaced. Samsung replied they only repair (locally in town) monitors that are sized greater than my monitor's size, so my monitor doesn't qualify for a repair. I confided, I said had scratched the surface of the LCD panel with a pencil, and thought it was fair to have the backlight repaired rather than have the whole unit replaced. The rep went away, came back and replied that they would NOT honour the warranty on the backlight because they couldn't prove the scratches weren't the cause of the backlight flickering.

Good diagnosis and over the phone too! You must be psychic!

I was trying to be honest with them and they screwed me for it. I believe they screwed me because they couldn't easily refurbish my monitor if they exchanged it.

Shady company. For the love of God don't waste your money on this company. Buy from Sony who cares about repeat customers.
This story reminds me of how no good deed goes unpunished. When it comes to money, you should do whatever is necessary to come out on top. You make an honest dollar, but you don't have to spend it that way.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:29 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have the 245BW and love it, got it for $329 at FS this past summer when our dollar was worth something. Great colour with very little backlight bleeding, it did take a little tweaking of the settings to get it right. Highly recommended...

Old January 4, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 24" monitor but want bigger! I so want one of those 30" monitors.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 4, 2009, 04:26 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Samsung 245BW as a 2nd monitor and i use a Samsung 2493hm as my main monitor and i love both of them.

They're excellent monitors.

This is an older picture now, but thats the 245 on top and the 2493 on the bottom. I've played games on both of them, watched movies on both and they're excellent.