Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2008, 05:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yea i didnt use the zalman fan controller its soo silent compared to my Zalman 9700 and Antec Tri- cool fans

Also maybe the Antec Spot cool fan might be blowing on more of the mofsets pushin hot air of the cooler as well mmaybe
Old May 5, 2008, 07:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have an XFX so warranty isn't a problem. I have to say, though, that I'm running at 729 core and 1836 shader with a soft/bios voltmod ( +.05v) so maybe this is why my temps are higher. Still, however, it doesn't feel like I should be getting close to 70 degrees celcius. Or am I just being too optimistic?

also, I am using the fanmate controller, but even at max settings I get these temps. I wouldn't plug it directly into the motherboard header, however, because it's just too loud.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

okay i just turned of alll my fans and i shit yu not but the Zalman is almost dead silent i mean nothing even clooose to the 50% i was runnin my original XFX fan if yur using a fan mate it usually takes off around 200 rpm of its max well thats from cpu coolers so im sure it does the same with the video cards. But on a side note how did yu do the volt mod??? im quiete interested in that i havent taken the card to its limits yet but with stock cooler the max it ever let me was around 705

What kind of cpu cooler do you have that makes this little fan sound soo loud?
Cause my Zalman cooler i always have it at full blast specially now its summer and i have an Antec Tri cool which is like 33dba and its a rocket launcher but it moves a loot of air so i forgive it and i got a couple of Noctua comin so we will see how well those do.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol how hard is it to do the soft mod and i wonder if .5 volt increase would increase the temps by that much
Old May 6, 2008, 08:36 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My VF-900 is silent when I keep it at ~1400 RPM as measured by speedfan through my motherboard header. This is accurate because when I turn it up to full blast the RPM shows ~2100 rpm which is very close to the fan's rated 2200RPM at 12v. The rest of my cooling system is pretty quiet: My E6300 at 3.01ghz is passive, 120mm scythe exhaust fan at 900rpm, and a 120mm tricool on low facing the motherboard right above the 8800GT to cool the NB and gives some airflow to the cpu as well. I really need my computer to be silent, hehe. If I could do without the tricool, I would, but the system becomes unstable from the NB overheating. Next on my list is an Accelero S1 so I can run the 8800GT passive as well!

Edit: I don't remember the specific but here's a list of things you'll need:
1. Nibitor for extracting and modifying your card's bios.
2. NVflash for flashing the bios
3. HP bootable usb creator
4. Some windows 98 files for creating the bootable USB

As for the specifics, some googling should help you out as I did this a long time ago.

Last edited by skadebo; May 6, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ahh see i cant see my fan speed as i have it connected on my Asus A8n-sli Deluxe to a port that cannot be recognized ill switch it up and see what its running it but your right the Tri-cool at the lowest setting is inaudiable but it aint movin much air either at that even at medium its a noise but on the third lol its like a wind tunnel i know but so also is the Zalman 9700 im going under water soon but honestly the Tri-cool is a cool fan even though its loud i turned both of them to the looowest setting possible turned of all the fans in my room and the noise was silent so i dont know...how long have yu had yer VF-900 i just got mine 3 months ago.

Im going to switch stuff around and put that on the sensor instead of my Antec spot cool and see wat its running.
Old May 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Okay i connected the fan to a port that reads it and its running at 2679 rpm somehow that doesnt feel right but i double checked anyways im posting pics of the card with the zalman fan on and ramsinks incase people who wanna take the plunge want to know how it looks like.
Old May 6, 2008, 01:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Alright so this is my setup used Zalman heatsinks still sticking strong and Swiftech mofsets- those were a pain but now their finally stickin!
Old May 6, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I see you have ramsinks on the chips near the back of the card. I did not put any sinks there, those chips are naked and my card is still running very close to your temps Dashock. I don't think those chips actually get very hot. I read somewhere only about 35c. But still doesn't hurt.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old May 6, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

you mean the mofsets well i was reading the Nvidia forums and they recommended it and well hell having such low temperatures i dont think it hurt and i got like a zillion ram heat sinks lo lwell 20 more lol i went a little crazzy when i first tried attempted to stick em with my 7300GT since so many people were complaining aboot the adhesive but i didnt find that problem.