Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2013, 06:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
The OC can do SLi just fine. The diminishing returns you get (or rather don't) with three or more cards simply isn't worth it imo. It kind of irks me that motherboard makers refuse to give single GPU users the same love as those who chose the multi GPU path.
Sounds like you would want the Standard Z87X-OC or a UD4H or UD5H.

What are you missing that these boards do not offer?
Old July 24, 2013, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm just nit picking really. But those boards support SLI/CF. I'd rather have a board that doesn't support multi GPU and puts those extra PCIe lanes to good use.

Ideally, I'd want one 16x slot for graphics and the rest for a slew of other goodies.

The only boards I know of that don't use SLi/CF setups are of the dumbed down variety ie H87, Q87, H81, Q85, B85. Someone might release a decent Z87 board for those that don't plan to use more than one GPU. I just think it's a waste of resources not to.

Oh ya! Someone get rid of PS/2 and PCI and figure out a way for USB3 to be bootable for crying out loud, what year is this? I want to see some real innovation already. I'm still using S775 FFS! And some of this newer stuff is making me yawn.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Truth is, I really don't know how things are allocated on a motherboard, well, not really. But I think you know what I mean.
Old July 24, 2013, 08:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Boards work fine with single card and this board in particular actually has a single slot (the black one) that avoids the PLX chip and goes straight to the PCH for your full 16 lanes and no added latency. Cheaper models without the PLX chip are more built for single card as well due to limited lanes provided by the chipset.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I checked my system last night, my single 680 is in the black slot. I bought this very board off kirbster. Gigabyte's UEFI Bios needs work as my mouse is unusable in it. Other than that, good board.
Old July 24, 2013, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah! I think my confusion came thinking the CPU supplied more than 16 lanes. Is there a good reason why it doesn't?
Old July 24, 2013, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect

SugarJ.

I know what you mean, it can be a bit choppy in the bios. I am happy to say that is no longer a problem on the Z87 boards. The Bios is like its own little OS now, complete with customizable screens and menus. It is a treat to work with.
Old July 24, 2013, 11:28 AM

PCI-E lanes vary by platform. Z77 has 16, Z87 has 16, X79 has 40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Ah! I think my confusion came thinking the CPU supplied more than 16 lanes. Is there a good reason why it doesn't?
Old July 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah, so X79 would be best for a USB freak like me then.
Old July 24, 2013, 11:52 AM

Not really. USB runs through separate from the PCI-E 3.0 lanes and through the chipset. If you care about USB ports, Z87 is the best available. Z87 has 6 USB 3.0 and 14 USB 2.0 ports available natively, compared to 4 USB 3.0 and 10 USB 2.0 on Z77 or 0 USB 3.0 and 14 USB 2.0 on X79. The amount that are present on each board will vary because manufacturers use USB controller chips to add more ports when desired.
Old July 24, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OK. There sure seems to be a glut of models to choose from at almost the same price points. UD4/5H for example. Not to mention the OC which is slightly cheaper.