Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Rosewill Thor V2 Full Tower Case - Cheap Monster! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/49988-rosewill-thor-v2-full-tower-case-cheap-monster.html)

s_mack January 2, 2012 10:48 AM

Rosewill Thor V2 Full Tower Case - Cheap Monster!

Hi everyone,

First post here! I never knew about hardwarecanucks. I always used other pc related forums and found myself having to clarify "I'm in Canada" whenever it came to what's available, etc. I'm glad I found somewhere that I'm in the same boat! Ironically then, I'm writing a review on a case that is largely only available out of the US! You can get it from NewEgg Canada, but the high shipping cost starts to make it not such a great deal. I got mine from NewEgg USA on Black Friday along with a bunch of other stuff and made the trip down to the border to pick it up.

I'm sure others already know this to be true (or not), but I suspect that Rosewill is Newegg's house brand, as I haven't seen their products anywhere else. I would have never taken two looks at it except that the name "Thor" kept coming up on Anandtech's case reviews for OTHER cases... and it was topping (or nearly topping) the charts both in terms of thermal and acoustic performance (here's an example review of a Fractal Designs case - look at the charts). Since I was looking for a case that was both cool and quiet... it seemed like a no brainer based on numbers.

But as anyone who has been a long-time Vancouver Canucks fan will know... its not always about what's on paper. How is this case in real life?

I struggled to find a review of this case specifically. A few are out there. And they are consistent and frankly I have to echo what most of them say: This case is big and roomy (a plus for some, a minus for others), it has good cable management features, excellent thermal performance and is quiet. It is also a bit lacking in the build quality. It has plenty of features such as USB 3.0 and up front eSATA and its HUGE fans are impressive as they are effective. Its onboard fan controller is a neat idea, but rather poorly implemented in my example. One of my two controllers makes a nasty whining sound if I turn the fan down, so that its actually quieter to have the fan running at full speed! I suspect that's a defect because the other does not do this. Its the controller, not the fan, as I found out when I swapped the fans and the same controller made the noise. Still, I personally think the concept of hardware fan controllers is flawed in general.

One thing I'm pleased to note that I hadn't read on other reviews: At least with the example I got... the front USB 3.0 DOES use a proper header and not just a cable pass-through. They changed that at some point because at least one review I saw showed pictures of it being a pass-through.

Overall, I really like this case. I got it for $112 including shipping and border taxes (but I did have to go drive to pick it up) but I honestly can say that if I had paid double that (including shipping and taxes), I would still be pleased with the purchase.

Rosewill Thor V2 on Newegg.ca
Rosewill Thor V2 on Newegg.com