Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 02:03 PM
MVP

Good lord I must be a GB fan boy, I have 5 systems in the house with GB boards in them now. I just got the 5th yesterday to replace my EVGA mb (4 failed EVGA MB's now and i'll never buy another).

Sorry to hear about your GB luck. But as a rule rma's usually take 4-6 weeks (unless that has changed).

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old December 1, 2011, 02:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Myself as well, I always had giga boards, except once I had msi board. I just didn't like and or got any explanation of the fix, which really ticked me off. Other than that I love gigabyte boards, but I wouldnt be buying anymore again. God forbid if I have to RMA it, I would really hate to be in this situation again.
Old December 1, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

TBH, in my experience most of these so called "issues" with GB's customer service/RMA are really just cultural and language barriers. A good start for them would be to copy what their competitors have done and outsource to companies that actually speak English.
Old December 1, 2011, 03:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
TBH, in my experience most of these so called "issues" with GB's customer service/RMA are really just cultural and language barriers. A good start for them would be to copy what their competitors have done and outsource to companies that actually speak English.
I agree completely. A customer support department from any company represents the company. You can never ever cheap out on that.
Old December 1, 2011, 04:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Rule of thumb.
Every company out there, we will have to RMA with.
I purchased close to 15 of the M4A785TD-V Evo boards from ASUS. Sure enough I've RMA'd 3 of those boards (one of them Twice) with ASUS. I never got a report at all on what they did. However I got working boards back so I don't mind at all.

It happens. I had to pay for the ride there everytime but its the nature of home made builds.
If we cannot learn to accept and budget for these costs...well...what can I say.

As for Poor Customer support? It happens with all companies. I've had both good and bad CS encounters with ASUS and GB and EVGA. It all depends. Worst case scenerio you just keep trying.

You want a reason to complain? Deal with Diamond and Sapphire. That will make you LOVE getting ANY type of support (Though Sapphire is apparently getting better).

Lastly enough of the Fanboi talk (i.e. calling someone a fanboi). If you can't formulate a sentence to another user without using that word then just don't do it at all.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with you there ST, you always get some bad experience from any company. But generally you call back and you get someone more intelligent. Which unfortuntualy with Gigabyte is not the case, or in my personal experience anyways. I called them 4 times in 3 days and each time it got worst and worst.

Anyhow I will not be buying anything gigabyte used or new. I had always always always used giga boards.
Old December 1, 2011, 05:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've been perfectly happy with gigabyte, in fact I have switched to them from asus as my preferred brand. I'm using them in my client builds too. Haven't had to rma a motherboard yet, but I wouldn't write them off yet YFG. Maybe it will work with the new bios
Old December 1, 2011, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Just picked up my first gigabyte board ever. Ive been a big MSI guy for the most part with the odd asus, asrock and cheap-o ECS here and there. Main reason I bought this is because I dont really like the new UEFI BIOS or whatever its called. The board is a z68xp-ud3.

So this board has just been a PITA so far. I still havent gotten the HDMI working, threw in an 8800GT, no post, take out battery, posts. get into windows install mobo drivers restart.....no post again. battery out again, go into BIOS change a few settings around now its fine....aside from the onboard video (only reason I went Z68 over P67) not working. If I cant get the onboard working Im just going to buy a $20 PCI-E video card, not worth my time or money shipping it back.

Not a great experience though thus far. I also dont like how they have about 20 different z68 motherboards with very minor differences between them, Im all for having 2-3 low, 2-3mid and 2-3 high end and 1-2 flagship boards for a total of say 10 boards per chipset. But Gigabyte with 20 (just counted) is really on the silly side.

Sorry this just turned into a gigabyte rant, if I sort out the onboard video and it overclocks well all will be forgiven.
Old December 1, 2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

As others have pointed out, doesn't matter whom you choose you WILL get a bad warrenty experience no matter whom the maker even the all mighty "you gotta buy a asus" that seems to be heavily favored by most.

I didn't read what the problem was, but with that cpu & board you should have been problem free if you oc'ed it any or what not.

btw, mods should this not be in the motherboard section of the forum & not user review as this is not nessicarly a review but more of a rant of how frustratingly YFG's experience was that he went through?
Old December 1, 2011, 09:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I must say gigabyte's p67 boards turned me off gigabyte for a while.

Overclocking on them often caused a failure to boot in which case it would automatically reflash the bios to the original version (without internal PLL overvolting). The catch being their flashing tool would not accept the newest bios and you can only flash through their Windows ONLY @bios application.

Now I have a bootable windows USB key I keep around just to flash the bios of my linux machines with gigabyte p67/h67 boards.

As for Asus boards, they may be a little more costly but <3