Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   IC Diamond Thermal Compound Review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/47771-ic-diamond-thermal-compound-review.html)

NightRain October 29, 2011 04:05 PM

IC Diamond Thermal Compound Review

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5286/...1914ec77_b.jpg

I was using Noctua thermal paste (which is good stuff) until today. I decided to install IC Diamond today as I hear it is good. Here is how I tested.

My CPU is currently a i7 920 C0 running at 3.99GHz (21x190) with HT off. Keep in mind the Noctua compound has been on my CPU for about 14 months as it was applied last summer. I typically reapply every 12 months.

System booted from cold. Left to sit idle for 30 minutes after my HDD stopped reading so I knew Windows completely loaded. I played Battlefield 3 multiplayer for 30ish minutes with Core Temp keeping track for the details, followed by 10 minutes of Prime95 Blend test. Here are the results.

Idle Noctua (MIN in Core Temp):

Core 0: 45
Core 1: 44
Core 2: 46
Core 3: 43

Idle IC Diamond (MIN in Core Temp):

Core 0: 42
Core 1: 42
Core 2: 43
Core 3: 38

Noctua During BF3 gameplay (MAX in Core Temp) CPU Load approx 70%:

Core 0: 68
Core 1: 67
Core 2: 69
Core 3: 64

IC Diamond During BF3 gameplay (MAX in Core Temp) CPU Load approx 70%:

Core 0: 61
Core 1: 60
Core 2: 61
Core 3: 57

Noctua running Prime95 for 10 mins (MAX in Core Temp):

Core 0: 77
Core 1: 75
Core 2: 76
Core 3: 74

IC Diamond running Prime95 for 10 mins (MAX in Core Temp):

Core 0: 71
Core 1: 70
Core 2: 71
Core 3: 68

Those are some pretty big drops. I was expecting 2-3 degrees at most. I averaged all core values to get the following results:

Idle temp difference: IC Diamond 3.25C cooler
BF3 Gameplay difference: IC Diamond 7.25C cooler
Prime95 100% load difference: IC Diamond 5.5C Cooler

Total effective result (all temps averaged) is 5.33C cooler. As you can see the results are noticeable, IC diamond may also get better too as it is difficult to say how long it will take to cure. I've heard as little as 2 hours to as much as 20 hours for IC diamond. Also if you are wondering, I use the pea sized blob at the center of the CPU to apply the compound, the Noctua was applied the same way. This allows the pressure of the heat sink to do the spreading. As you can see even at idle the difference is there, the most notable drop was playing games with a good amount of CPU usage, this is likely what you'll be doing mostly. Idle of moderate levels of CPU usage. The 100% load Prime95 fell right in the middle of idle and gaming with a very nice drop. I would highly recommend this product to anyone. One of the best $10 I've ever spent.

mo' power October 29, 2011 10:08 PM

If you want more results, clicky da linky. HWC tested the stuff for the manufacturer some time ago.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...g-results.html

TopDogZero October 30, 2011 03:06 PM

While this stuff works good I went back to MX-4. IC is hard to work with even after heating and it took the print off the CPU like sandpaper.

NightRain November 4, 2011 03:57 PM

Maybe this stuff does have a bit of a curing time. Currently my Temps are like this for all four cores at 3.99GHz as above.

Idle IC Diamond (MIN in Core Temp):

Core 0: 40
Core 1: 39
Core 2: 41
Core 3: 36

IC Diamond During BF3 gameplay (MAX in Core Temp) CPU Load approx 70%:

Core 0: 60
Core 1: 61
Core 2: 60
Core 3: 56

IC Diamond running Prime95 for 10 mins (MAX in Core Temp):

Core 0: 70
Core 1: 70
Core 2: 69
Core 3: 67

Ambient temp in my room is the same 19 degrees. A slight drop but most noticeable on idle temps. I like this stuff, might get around to installing it on my GPU this weekend.

le2key December 11, 2011 07:36 PM

How did you apply it? Did you do the recommended dab in middle?

The max decrease in tempts I got were about 2-3 degrees.

NightRain December 13, 2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le2key (Post 578886)
How did you apply it? Did you do the recommended dab in middle?

The max decrease in tempts I got were about 2-3 degrees.

I did a dab in the middle. About the size of a small pea or two grains of rice. I'm actually using my CPU with HT enabled again and I find the CPU idles in the 36-39C range now and maxes out in the 70-75C range. If I use 3.99GHz with HT Off the idle temps are in the 35-38C range and max load is 65-68C range. These lower temps may have something to do with ambient temps dropping because it is December or the fact that I moved some fans around.

I was going to use it on my GPU but read about a case where GPU warranty was voided because the GPU core was scratched slightly from IC diamond. I will be testing Arctic Cooling MX-4 on my GPU's.

I should note that I am now using Crossfire setup too so gaming temps have increased, in fact gaming in BF3 runs hotter than Prime95. This is due to the extra heat being pumped out by a second GPU being added. I have seen my CPU hit 78C one or two times but typically runs in the low 70's with BF3. I have never seen Prime95 get my CPU beyond 72C.

jmassive December 17, 2011 10:26 AM

I'm currently using the Noctua paste but I'm curious as to see how well the IC would work for me; too bad I missed out on the free samples they were handing out before.

Adzsask December 17, 2011 10:35 AM

Tried it, didn't like the consistency of it was hard to spread, I keep coming back to my faves just because they spread so darn good ,OCZ freeze (love it come back to pull a HSF off a year later, still malleable), or MX-4.

foredown December 22, 2011 10:18 AM

Not supposed to spread this stuff, or any compound really. Spreading causes air bubbles.

Adzsask December 22, 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foredown (Post 582364)
Not supposed to spread this stuff, or any compound really. Spreading causes air bubbles.

By spread, I mean the spreading of TIM when the heatsink is being mounted.