Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Razer Lachesis (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/4762-razer-lachesis.html)

Jarod_g29 February 26, 2008 10:41 AM

Razer Lachesis

First off, This is going to be a short and sweet little review, Mainly because im not very impressed, and I have no camera to show my mouse.

Anyways the pros to this mouse are pretty obvious when it arrives. On the box you have written 4000dpi. Thats INSANE, but if you are use to high sensitivity its great. The polling rate is from 125hz all the way to 1000. This mouse really out performs all others with technology. The 32kb synaps memory on the mouse is very handle if you plan on going to a buddies place for gaming. If you want you can save all your custom profiles into the mouse. The mouse is designed for comfort for both left and right handed people, but I do not in fact find it comfortable. Unlike other mice out there it is without a thumb rest or anything to actually make it comfortable, And its also massive. If you have a small hand, DONT GET THIS MOUSE.

Cons: well cons would be that its impossible to find a good surface for this mouse, Ive used several different mouse pads and each one has small flaws of compatibility with it. Right now I can start clicking on my desktop and not move the mouse at all, and from me clicking even though its completely stationary, the mouse quickly makes its way around the screen. There could be a few reasons for this, the mouse buttons are harder to push in then most mice. Or some flaws exsist that razer doesn't know about wether in design or they just need to update their firmware. What ever the case may be this is terriable for playing fps. If your one to switch to your pistol and unload clips in the blink of an eye. good luck. This mouse like I said will focus on heads quicker then anything in the world, but there is definitely no way it will stay there once you click.

There it is, my little rant on about the pros and cons. No pictures and not much of a review, but I wanted to warn people about how bad it is before you spend some cash.

-J

Jumperbee March 14, 2008 10:59 AM

6 Months With the Lachesis........

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE REVIEW, PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN FIXED.

Let me say this to begin with..........

When this mouse was shipped to be sold, IT WAS NOT READY!

First, if you get the mouse and its at firmware version 1.0 then the mouse will jump on its own, i mean not because your moving it or you dont own a proper mouse pad, no, it really moves on its own. This is a well known problem documented all over the internet. Also well documented is that with some old bios the mouse will actually not boot up so you have to unplug then plug it back in for it to work.

Second, if you have read reviews about Razer product on the internet you probably had a hard time finding a positive one and this is because razer ships their products when it isint ready to be shipped and then let us (lucky beta testers) test their products for them and then releases firmware updates. Also concerning their support, well theres a number, theres an e-mail and theres even a phone number!, but good luck trying to get a response from any of those sources.

Third, things you need to know about the mouse, you can view a picture of it on razersupport.com to see that yes it is in fact bulky and also has a weird shape wich i like but you still can hold it pretty nicely in your hand but by holding it properly makes the side buttons (on the right or left side depending what hand you use) useless since you will certainly press them without on purpose during a game wich is a real pain in the *** so i have disabled them to play games. Concluding the shape of the mouse, it is made to hold either from the right handed or left handed users wich is nice and although your fingers dont reach the very end of the mouse buttons after a week or two the buttons gets easy to press so if you havent heard that this mouse buttons are hard to press then you will not notice it.

Features:

A bit longer and wider than a normal mouse, my guess is that they made it this big so that light or movement next to the mouse will not interfere with the 3G laser.

Solid thick soft plastic under and satin coat thick slip proof top to help holding the beast.

Buttons are really sturdy and you can really feel the quality that it is made of, even the middle button is thick and slip proof (made of semi soft rubber with grip lines)

The mouse has teflon feet wich slides extremely well on my 20$ allsop half teflon half alluminium mouse pad wich i bought at futureshop but you can also use the razer exactmat for more precision. NOTE..... if you own a cloth mouse pad and want this mouse then it will be of good use as a coaster because this mouse will ONLY work as described on a hard granulated clean black(of preference) surface!. Do this test, on my pad i blow on the mouse and it moves all the way accross my screen!.

The "Cool" features of the mouse are the lights and the amount of buttons. There is a logo on the back of the mouse wich you will not see until you boot your computer, then it lights up and does like a breathing movement like its alive and the middle mouse button also lights up and the ilumination is even so it makes for a nice clean look and you have a choice of 2 colors, blue or white (i took the white one :)). There are 9 usable buttons, 2 on each sides (thumb and pinky), 2 on top right over the mouse wheel and of course the right and left click. The 10th button is under the mouse and is used to switch profiles from 1 to 5. Each and every button is configurable through the panel and can be assigned to praticaly anything including key combination eg.... ctrl+alt+L in a single click!.

The mouse has also a 6' cord wich is tangle proof and gold plated usb port tip for better conduction (in my opinion this does nothing since it is only on the outer casing of the plug)

The technology, this mouse is equipped with a 3G laser capable of dishing out 4000DPI @ 1000Hz sensitivity and all this in a millisecond of time!, this means that you could run with it for about 60' and it will not loose a single pixel so yes its perfect for fast movement!, please dont try this at home :thumb:.

Further more, it has an onboard 32k synapsis memory for your control panel settings, this means that you can program your mouse go to your friends and still have the same configuration you have at home wich is great if you do gaming comp. (please note that all razer products has this feature). This feature is also used to "flash" your mouse with new upcoming firmware wich is a breeze to achieve.

==========================================

The low down....

The jumping (moving) issue has been fixed on the most part in the firmware version 1.64 and remaining issues will be fixed in version 2.00. Although i dont have the not booting up issue i have seen enough users having this problem. The problem with "moving while clicking" described by my friend up there also has been fixed in 1.64 so make sure that if your mouse is shipped with firmware 1.00 that you update to 1.64 stat!. (note... on older games with the firmware v1.58 and up the mouse "lags" and to my knowledge this will also be fixed in the v2.00 firmware)

The mouse is big, and long but you can still hold it pretty well to the point that my 11 year old daughter can and loves to play ut3 and 2004 with this mouse so its a question of taste.

Support is crap and there is nothing else to say about it, although there are some razer related forums willing to help users but are in no way connected with the razer company itself.

Once you got the feel of it, updated your firmware and played with the settings to set it up to your likings then this will be the best mouse you even owned and own YOU WILL!

When the mouse came out i gave it a 3/10

But since everyting is fixed i give it a 8/10

It was a grass snake when it came out but quicly became the Lachesis it was supposed to be..........

Im out!

Jumper!

Thund3rball March 14, 2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumperbee (Post 46045)

Second, if you have read reviews about Razer product on the internet you probably had a hard time finding a positive one and this is because razer ships their products when it isint ready to be shipped and then let us (lucky beta testers) test their products for them and then releases firmware updates.

Yup that's it right there. EXACTLY the same thing with the Deathadder, which I own and love. It had all kinds of firmware issues for months. I waited till a firmware update arrived that fixed the issues before buying and now it is the best mouse I have ever used.

And the Teflon feet on it are fan-bloody-tastic. I use a Qck mini and the DA slides on it like oil and water. And that's not even the best mouse pad to use with the DA due to the 3.6mm lift-off distance. But I have never really had a problem with the lift-off. Got used to it pretty quick.

Jumperbee March 14, 2008 02:27 PM

So you agree? hehehe.....

Looks like they've finally waken up, last month i bought my daughter the Copperhead and nothing wrong yet but were still waiting for surprises......

Thund3rball March 14, 2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumperbee (Post 46068)
So you agree? hehehe.....

Looks like they've finally waken up, last month i bought my daughter the Copperhead and nothing wrong yet but were still waiting for surprises......

Copperhead's been out for a long time. I think they got all the bugs out of that one a long time ago ;)

Robilar(OCN) March 16, 2008 08:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Still can't beat the Logitech MX518. They have even re-released an 1800 DPI version of it (which I picked up and gave my 1600 DPI one to a cousin).

ESR - (Archive) ESReality MouseScore 2007

Great article with a very technical testing method. The lachesis is not tested but many other razer models are.

Combine the logitech with an Ideazon Merc Stealth keyboard and you are good to go in any FPS

tyreman March 16, 2008 11:06 AM

Still using Logi G3 here....left handed but may try someday.:biggrin:

Thund3rball March 16, 2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar(OCN) (Post 46366)
Still can't beat the Logitech MX518. They have even re-released an 1800 DPI version of it (which I picked up and gave my 1600 DPI one to a cousin).

ESR - (Archive) ESReality MouseScore 2007

Great article with a very technical testing method. The lachesis is not tested but many other razer models are.

Combine the logitech with an Ideazon Merc Stealth keyboard and you are good to go in any FPS

That article is exactly what made me go with the Deathadder... funny thing is I went with the MX518 first because the Razer wasn't available at the time. But as soon as it showed up I bought one and sold my MX518. And yes it is an excellent mouse as well. No complaints I just liked the look of the Razer better. :thumb:

Robilar(OCN) March 17, 2008 06:35 PM

I agree, the razer has the edge in looks. I still am not crazy about the faux MX518 hologram. I would prefer a solid color.

tzetsin March 17, 2008 09:06 PM

ack, i wish i knew about the Razor firmware fixes before i ran over my HABU ;P i bought a microsoft sidewinder and i LOVE it.