Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2008, 09:06 PM
Top Prospect

He has the DFI LP DK P35-T2RS - the same one as me. I got up to 1100 MHz as well, but with tighter timings. Even when timings are loosened quite a bit, you can't clock them much higher. As I noted before, this kit seems to perform best at 5-5-5-12 and trc 7. It seems that if you increase trc from 7 to 8/9 you won't get enough of a DRAM boost to actually get an overall performance boost.

Why don't you just wait for the x48 instead? Or just stick with the P35, since there's hardly a difference.
Old February 28, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
What board did you get? I'm thinking about getting the DFI X38 board soon, just curious how far you can push these with your DFI board considering the options you are offered.
James
I have DFI T2RS, it's a great board for $150. I havent got to testing max on this board to see if will go further than ASUS, but I am running 8GB right now no problem which is cool considering 1 kit is micron and 1 is mira. Ill do some more testing this weekend, just been busy testing some cpus and gpu.
Old February 29, 2008, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckoholic View Post
Why don't you just wait for the x48 instead? Or just stick with the P35, since there's hardly a difference.
I might get a P35 board, depends how much I'm willing to spend, I'm thinking I want a crossfireboard, but we'll see in due time. As for the DFI X48, right now it appears that it will only be using DDR3 which I don't feel like buying at this point. The technology is still very new and it's cost doesn't justify the performance you get. Also, the X48 boards don't offer much more then what the X38's do that I can see, seems like it's only a marginal upgrade from the X38. Kinda like the 680i to the 780i.
James
Old March 8, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow... I just picked up the G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ and they are going where the Redlines never dared. Right now at 1100 MHz in Windows!

Further testing to come to see how they do... unfortunately, I'll probably run into a FSB wall with this CPU until I get my new one.
Old March 13, 2008, 10:23 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I have DFI T2RS, it's a great board for $150. I havent got to testing max on this board to see if will go further than ASUS, but I am running 8GB right now no problem which is cool considering 1 kit is micron and 1 is mira. Ill do some more testing this weekend, just been busy testing some cpus and gpu.
Any news on how far you can push the Redlines with the DFI?
Old March 13, 2008, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah, I'm kinda curious myself. Also, what multipliers are on that board, that's my main problem on my board right now (P35-DS3P), I don't have enough multipliers and have to run 1:1 right now, so the RAM is only running at 960MHz I think. :(
James

Last edited by James_8970; March 13, 2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: listed wrong motherboard
Old March 13, 2008, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_8970 View Post
Yeah, I'm kinda curious myself. Also, what multipliers are on that board, that's my main problem on my board right now (P35-DS3L), I don't have enough multipliers and have to run 1:1 right now, so the RAM is only running at 960MHz I think. :(
James
DFI boards are renowned for having a lot (maybe too many) memory tweaking options. I have both the DFI P35-T2RS and Gigabyte P35-DS3L, and I can definitely say that the DFI has quite a few more memory multiplier (or FSB straps) choices.

If I recall correctly, the DS3L has 1:1, and then the next step is 5:6, which can be quite a considerable jump depending on your FSB.
Old March 13, 2008, 12:31 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah, I have a total of 5 or 6 multipliers, most of which are far to large to ever consider, which is why I'm curious as to why they even exist. The only thing I can see a use for said multipliers is if you had an unlocked multiplier on your CPU and you had really lowered you FSB, but still, why they don't consider more lower RAM multipliers and fewer higher multipliers is beyond me.
James

Edit: I have the P35-DS3P, no idea why I said P35-DS3L in the above post, time to edit that out.
Old March 13, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ive just been running it at 540, but I killed my last benching kit of D9 so tomorrow when Im dice benching I have no choice but to use one of my 4GB kits. I will need very high fsb, but with 1:1 I will only get as far as the mem allows so Ill see the max it can do then.

Board has loads of dividers, I can post a pic of em all FYI.
Old March 13, 2008, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

Wait, do DFI boards have memory multipliers below 1:1?!
As for posting all the multipliers I'd be really interested, I'm thinking about purchasing a new motherboard and going to 64bit with another redline kit. Going to perform a pencil mod to my current board (my E6600 isn't stable past 3.5GHz and I'm pretty sure it's due to my Vdroop) and if that experiment goes south, then it'll be time for a new board for sure
James