Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Check my SS on page 1 for the memset settings. I tested the mem on P5K which has now been replaced with a DFI T2RS so I dont even have the board to check BIOS. It is also possible your kit doesnt do 1100, why dont you start at 1000 and move up slowly until you see memtest errors.
Old February 27, 2008, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Check my SS on page 1 for the memset settings. I tested the mem on P5K which has now been replaced with a DFI T2RS so I dont even have the board to check BIOS. It is also possible your kit doesnt do 1100, why dont you start at 1000 and move up slowly until you see memtest errors.
That's what I've been trying to do...

Kind of sucks because I thought I'd try for more out of these, given they are supposedly handpicked and high quality ICs, but I think I might have had a better pair of sticks with my (now sold) ReaperX....

Oh well... I'll keep trying and see where I get with them...

I'll post results to keep you up to date.

Still waiting on my quad, so once I have that in, which will be my final rig for a while , I'll start looking for a balance between CPU/FSB/RAM overclocks.

THanks for the help dude!
Old February 27, 2008, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Ah, have you tested the memory with the DFI now? I want to see how your results compare with mine. I didn't use memset to change my settings - I changed the settings right form the BIOS.

Did you try seeing how far you could go with performance level (trc) at 7 and voltage at 2.1? I did all my testing without changing that. I noticed that you had to change trc to 9 and voltage to 2.1 in order to get 5-5-5-15 @ 558 MHz.

For overall performance, it seems that these kits probably run better at 5-5-5-12 and trc at 7...since loosening up tRAS to 15/18 or increasing trc to 8/9 doesn't allow you to bump up the DRAM too much.
Old February 27, 2008, 10:25 AM

Well I just got the DFI so I am still learning the BIOS. It is alot more complex than the ASUS boards but also alot better. I threw the mem in and it fired right up fine once I got the weird divider system figured out but I havent retested the max yet as I have been focusing on testing the HD3870 I just got and max FSB on E8400. Takes a while to find the best GTL combos and such.

I will post some mem results once I get to it, this weekend maybe.
Old February 27, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Eldonko, I noticed your tREF is super low compared to mine. I'm working on my bios settings vs. what Memset shows...

Here's a screen of my current settings at 533MHz RAM

EDIT:

Still no luck... I got my settings to match yours in every way possible... but no luck above 1066 MHz even at 2.08v (2.0v in bios)

I had high hopes for these sticks after seeing what they could do in your review... but I guess I got a "regular" pair...*sigh*
Attached Images

Last edited by zlojack; February 27, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 27, 2008, 10:01 PM

I didnt find tref effected stability at all so I just used the best performing one. You might get more out of em on a P35 board as well, those are known to be among the best for mem clocking.

Did you try different dividers? ie 2:3?
Old February 27, 2008, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've tried just about every divider, setting lowered and raised FSB... loosened timings, tightened timings... nothing. They won't post higher than about 1066 at 2.1v. And even the 1066 isn't stable.. stuff's crapping out on me in Vista.

I think maybe my board doesn't like them.
Old February 27, 2008, 11:16 PM
Top Prospect

The 5:6 ratio is probably best if you're going to be using an E8400 at ~450 FSB. I got my best results with 5:6.

Also, try increasing performance level to 8 or 9, and tRTP to 5.
Old February 28, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckoholic View Post
The 5:6 ratio is probably best if you're going to be using an E8400 at ~450 FSB. I got my best results with 5:6.

Also, try increasing performance level to 8 or 9, and tRTP to 5.
I'll keep playing with it and see..
Old February 28, 2008, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Well I just got the DFI so I am still learning the BIOS. It is alot more complex than the ASUS boards but also alot better. I threw the mem in and it fired right up fine once I got the weird divider system figured out but I havent retested the max yet as I have been focusing on testing the HD3870 I just got and max FSB on E8400. Takes a while to find the best GTL combos and such.

I will post some mem results once I get to it, this weekend maybe.
What board did you get? I'm thinking about getting the DFI X38 board soon, just curious how far you can push these with your DFI board considering the options you are offered.
James