Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2011, 08:42 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default Belkin Basic wireless USB

I grabbed one of these recently model # f7d1101 and I just thought I'd post my experiences so far and maybe save somone else some trouble.

After using it on two different machines (both running win7) I can warn you upfront that it does not work out of the box, windows doesn't recognize it and using it with the included drivers caused crashes on both machines. After downloading the latest drivers from belkin it was stable in both cases. No problem if you can download drivers on another pc but this likely won't get you up and runninng without another connection.

Performance wise it''s pretty unimpressive, I've been on the phone with telus for a couple weeks trying to figure out why my internet service has slowed down so much lately, I didn't make the connection until earlier tonight. If I have ONLY the belkin online I get speeds of approximately 2.5Mbps on what is normally a 8-12Mbps connection (belkin sees highs of 5Mbps and lows of........ won't even load a page before it times out).

The worst part is that if it isn't the only wireless device running it slows everything else down too (IMac, PS3, 360slim). The performance of the other devices matches almost exactly what I see on the belkin, wich is why I was griping with telus about connection speed. Turn the belkin off and everything else speeds up.

Your mileage may vary on this, I realize that wireless networking can be a bit of a crapshoot based on distances and configurations. However signal strengths on all devices are always strong and there is nothing in my set-up that is placed in a particularily bad spot, nor have I ever had this trouble with any of the MANY other wireless devices I've had in here over the last couple years.

Last edited by Wheels_78; April 4, 2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old April 3, 2011, 08:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I bought 2 Belkin usb apdaters and a Belkin N+ router. They work right off the package on win7. One of the usb adapter gives me 130 mbps (F5D8055V2 rated N+) and the other one 65 mbps (F5d8053 rated N). I am very happy with them for their price. What model is yours?
Old April 4, 2011, 02:25 AM
Rookie
F@H

model # f7d1101, thanks I should have put that in the initial review.
Old May 12, 2011, 06:57 AM
Rookie

Thanks. Have heard the same of most Belkin.