Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2010, 08:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Its clear to myself that James cares about the customer. Coming in here and posting took a bit of guts in my opinion.

But it also seems clear that I have a high likelihood of dealing with the guy in these emails, as he will not be dealt with. This alone is reason for me to stay away from PPCs; I want to feel good about a purchase, and I don't see why I would knowing that there is a high likelihood that someone at PPC is cursing my order, and doubting my integrity if I have any issue at all, based on my nationality.

As FiXT mentioned, the Canadian dollar is rising, giving Canadians more spending power at sites such as yours. I don't think its wise for any company to deal with customers in this manner, especially in this economic climate. I suggest PPC get rid of this guy before he continues to cause this damage; if this Hank guy is an owner and originator of these emails, then I can feel happy with my decision to avoid PPCs and discourage others from shopping there in the future to keep this guy from getting my Canadian dollars.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 5, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Its clear to myself that James cares about the customer. Coming in here and posting took a bit of guts in my opinion.

But it also seems clear that I have a high likelihood of dealing with the guy in these emails, as he will not be dealt with. This alone is reason for me to stay away from PPCs; I want to feel good about a purchase, and I don't see why I would knowing that there is a high likelihood that someone at PPC is cursing my order, and doubting my integrity if I have any issue at all, based on my nationality.

As FiXT mentioned, the Canadian dollar is rising, giving Canadians more spending power at sites such as yours. I don't think its wise for any company to deal with customers in this manner, especially in this economic climate. I suggest PPC get rid of this guy before he continues to cause this damage; if this Hank guy is an owner and originator of these emails, then I can feel happy with my decision to avoid PPCs and discourage others from shopping there in the future to keep this guy from getting my Canadian dollars.
I'd say take this a step further. I would expect the person involved to be fired and an official apology on the main page to ALL Canadians for for the comments made. Anything other than that would be another slap in the face, apology from James or not. The email was an official email from PPC's and as such is a representation of the company as a whole not just one individual person. If its not taken.... well, there are members of Canadian politics and media who are now aware and are awaiting that decision.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old November 5, 2010, 08:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post

This whole thread in general has been very solid in how it should be handled at least. And in honest approaches that bring some ideas to the table. I'd like to say that first before anything else.

That being said Chris, you do have a good honest point. We are getting a very strong dollar that will allow us more purchasing power in the US side of things, I personally order from Petra's (Thanks to 3.0 a long time ago mentioning them) and in the past I've looked at all the US sites that carry such specialty gear.
It really needs some time of overhaul on there part to set this right. We might only be a small percentage of their customer base (and obviously there are problems, to which I understand James) I have yet to see a company that says "You know what, we don't need another 20K a year".

All these problems can be worked through if the company wants to work through it. And realistically they don't have much of a choice if you think about it. The internet is Big. Its the fastest way to get information these days. A thread like this will grow. From this form, to Xtremesytems, and Beyond. If there is anytime to do damage control and restore the faith in not just your Canadian Customers but your US ones as well its now.

That being said James has at least started the process, now we all will see how exactally it plays out. Because in the information age, there is no isolating an Incident anymore.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 5, 2010, 09:17 PM
Banned
F@H

for a second i had a little tiny doubt, but them screens seem to back newbie up.

mr james probably cannot do anything about it, good effort on trying to fix the unfixable though.

even if you fire them stooges, the blows have been made. now, an order or two from us 'stupid people up here' might not make a dent in your business, but thine reputation as a business is in smeethereens in me book, sir. why, might you ponder?

well, allowing a person like that to work for/with you is just horrible. if the gent, if i can call him that, gets sand where it shouldn't and starts acting up every second full moon? tsk tsk tsk...

just fail. plain fail.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

On a very positive note.. I miss civil discussions like this on HWC. I'm happy now.

Back on topic. I'm glad that James is taking action (albeit alone) against this controversy. However I believe there are a lot more that needs to be fixed before I would think about ordering from PPC again.

A basis for a good company lies within its employees. Especially the ones that communicate with the public. A prejudice towards a specific group of customers is an attitude that cannot be tolerated in any ethical company, big or small. I've seen mentions of using USPS for shipping instead, but some companies are have contracts with UPS and other couriers for cheaper rates. Thus economically, it is unfavorable to change that for a relatively minor (Canadian) group of customers. I understand that.

Given the past on the events James described, I would be CAUTIOUS around Canadian orders, but I wouldn't be a giant d*bag every chance I get. Using paypal for Canadian orders is a step in the right direction. However problems like this will still arise UNLESS the customer support changes their attitude.

Please consider that in the next staff meeting.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old November 5, 2010, 10:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the thread is now being closed at xs,usual xs procedure,when things get a little heated,typical bucnh a pussies.
Old November 5, 2010, 11:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have been a member at XS for many years. I have made some solid friendships over those years. I had hoped that posting there may help others from using PPC's and getting burned for a hobby so many are passionate for. But sadly I have had it with that forum, and a serious possibility of enthusiast building in general.

As with most things in life there are people that are just to abrasive to bother with and for some reason they seem to rise to the top. I for one am just tired of it.

Everyone that wants to play racism roulette with PPCs has all the info to know how. I leave it at that.

Stick to your guns Kev ;)
Old November 6, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

First I woluld just like to say that I applaud James for taking the first step on the road to change. Its never easy and it take a lot of moral integrity to come to a strange forum and say "I am sorry". Sadly, there is a difference between saying "I" and "we". PPC seems to be having growing pains and these issues need to be addressed quickly before the bad apples poison the prevailing PPC corporate culture. I have seen that happen, it really only takes ONE "poison Pete" in an small company for it to happen. The end result is never pretty, painless nor even that quick. This kind of issue is much like gangrene, it needs to be nipped in the bud before it spreads and kills the patient.

The best way we as a forum can help James at PPC is:
A) continue to do this in a friendly yet professional manner that HWC is known for. This will certainly give ammunition to James to show that NOT all Canadians are out to steal from PPC (which to be honest is a pretty far fetched notion to begin with, considering our crime rate is much lower on a per capita basis than across the border!)
B) ANYONE (and not just the OP) who has had similar dealings in the past with PPC and still has the emails, screen caps, etc should email them to James. Only with first hand accountants (WITH proof) from multiple sources can change even have a chance of happening. After all "any one can have a bad day". If James can show it is one or two individuals who have proven to be unreliable and highly unprofessional in their dealings with an entire COUNTRY, he will have much greater chance of affecting change OUTSIDE his sphere of influence.

BUT James and PPC also needs to help themselves, and the best ways to do this are:

A) Have people on forums such as HWC with offical status. If you look around James you will see NCIX, OCZ and other companies both at the mfg and retail level who have company representatives here at HWC. They are easy to spot as they have a mfg'er tag next to their name and avatar. No need (unless you want) to be highly active, just check your PMs once a day and post occasionaly so people here will know who to turn to IF things go wrong. And things will go wrong. In any business, no matter how good, things do go wrong from time to time. Its how a company handles these situations that matters most to enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are what make companies like PPC possible. Without the ACTIVE support of the enthusiast communities PPCs chances of success in a forign market are somewhere between slim and none.

B) Make things PUBLIC, if you do manage to make a differnece make sure the enthusiast community knows about it. As your prez says "Sunlight is the best disinfectant. " You have a problem, you know you have a problem, the enthusiast community now is learning you have a problem. You NEED to make sure that when a solution is enacted, your customers KNOW the problem has been fixed. Even if the solution is your sector takes over handling foreign orders and responsibility for them. Let US know how to make our lives easier and how to deal with YOU even if nothing else changes maybe that would help!

Please don't get me wrong things maybe already too late for PPC and the Canadian market. I know personally I now shop elsewhere and have done so for awhile now (since a good friend of mine's "interaction" if you call it that with Hank). IF things do change I may chose to try them again but in the mean time will continue where possible to "BUY (from) CANADIAN('s)" and shop at Daz's. He has proven time and time again that even paying slightly more is worth it. I know IF things go wrong he will make it RIGHT. I have a couple other places across the border I use when Daz doesn't have what I need that have proven their worth to me. PPC is not the only game in town and when a part is only available at PPC....I sub in a different one rather than buy from PPC. This just underscores the size of the issue you are facing James and I do wish you the best of luck, but whatever you do you need to do it quick. Things will not get better if you ignore them or just try to placate your customer base with nice sounding but empty words. You NEED to back those words up with action and do it quickly and publicly!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 6, 2010, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm just going to comment once more then I'm done on this topic as I feel the things that needed to be said have been very well represented by our members.

I've dealt with PPC's for about 3 years now and for the most part have had good experiences, the problem is, it does only take one bad experience to hurt that relationship. The old saying "do one thing well a few people hear about it, do one thing wrong and the whole world knows" comes to mind.

I don't know what experiences other countries have had so it's hard to gauge whether this is stickly a "Canadian" issue, however based on comments made (and proven) by at least one PPC rep I think its safe to say Canadians certainly are singled out in my opinion. Having said that, I'll say it again that attitude starts at the top and speaking from my dealings only, Hank is responsible for the attitude taken by his employee(s). As much as I applaude James for making the honest effort, no matter what he says or does to try and smooth this situation over, nothing will change until Hank decides he actually cares about making the changes needed to help resolve these issues, which based on his attitude seems unlikely IMO. Parity with the US buck means alot of potential business from our market, if PPC even cares about seeing some of that I would suggest Hank pays some attention and takes the comments and ideas made here to better his attitude and those of his employees because lets be honest, James can't do it all himself.

Lastly, I want to echo comments made by Soultribunal and Jackquelegs, it really is great to see how this thread has been treated, I too miss the civil discussions like this and I truly hope good things come from it, James? you have your work cut out for you my friend, best of luck.

Old November 6, 2010, 08:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

In 2009 I bought some parts with a cost of 30 bucks from performance pc's, when it was delivered I was charged $300 duty because they listed the cost over $500 on the shipping.
I called them long distance and they said that there was no problem on their end. I had to fight with them for 4 weeks just to have them admit it was their mistake. It then took them another 2 months for them to correct it with the postal service and In that time I received some nasty and quite rude emails from them about it. It is scary to think that they treat people that way. then on top of that because they did not try to fix it within the first 30 days, I had to wait 9 months for a government refund for the money I spent. what a nightmare.
But its not like I was gonna say no and wait 2 weeks for it to get back there and then have them send it again.. i already waited about 3 weeks for it.

Tags
abysmal cs , performance-pcs sucks , performance-pcs.com , rude performance pc