Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2008, 04:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I downgraded from a P35-DQ6 to one of these boards. Seems pretty decent so far. Although I've done not much for OC'ing as my cooling from DC.com hasn't shipped yet
im able to get 3.6 on my rig with that board but when i had it like that my electric bill went up like 20 bucks lol so im back to 3.04 cause that is fast enough for me anyway.
Old January 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertz View Post
Good luck finding another sub-100$ board that has just as much overclocking headroom and a BIOS with as many options.

mATX boards shoot for a completly different market, mainly HTPCs or your grandma's computer.
Your right not much boards in the sub-$100 category can has this much overclocking features. At the top of my head, i can only think of the ASUS -p5k-se and the p35 biostar board, but are they budget boards? no but however they will fit the budget of most users like us, trying to get the most out of our money with some decent features. However, they are not budget boards.

Last time i checked, grandma's computer uses uhh.... budget board right? Grandma's comp uses the cheapest board you can find, unfournatly those are mainly cheap matx foxxcon or ecs boards that cost less than $60.
Old January 13, 2008, 10:40 PM
Allstar

I put together a budget gaming rig for someone and used one of these boards with an E6750. The kid was easily able to reach 3.6ghz.
Old January 16, 2008, 12:33 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
Your right not much boards in the sub-$100 category can has this much overclocking features. At the top of my head, i can only think of the ASUS -p5k-se and the p35 biostar board, but are they budget boards? no but however they will fit the budget of most users like us, trying to get the most out of our money with some decent features. However, they are not budget boards.

Last time i checked, grandma's computer uses uhh.... budget board right? Grandma's comp uses the cheapest board you can find, unfournatly those are mainly cheap matx foxxcon or ecs boards that cost less than $60.
A quick visit on PriceCanada.com led me to discover that Gigabyte's board is still the cheapest of the two other boards you named.

This conversation is really sad you know, arguing about what should be considered as budget and what shouldn't. What if I said budget overclocking board, is that going to make you happy enough to stop arguing over such a ridiculous thing?

The only reason I came up with that grandma comment is because you started talking about mATX boards which target a completly different market. I said absolutly nothing about your grandma using this particular Gigabyte board. She's probably going to run on a G33 or 690G chipset anyway.

Foxxconn does make high-end stuff as well by the way. Do you need a link or can you Google by yourself?
Old January 16, 2008, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverclan View Post
im able to get 3.6 on my rig with that board but when i had it like that my electric bill went up like 20 bucks lol so im back to 3.04 cause that is fast enough for me anyway.
I doubt that due to your computer. Going from 3 to 3.6Ghz would probably be somewhere around 20W more, maybe 30W. Although you're right, in everyday use you won't notice the difference from those extra 600Mhz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug View Post
I put together a budget gaming rig for someone and used one of these boards with an E6750. The kid was easily able to reach 3.6ghz.
That's quite nice! Those E6xxx tend to overclock alot higher than the E4xxx, which are also quite a bit cheaper. Assuming you were using air cooling, 3.6Ghz is pretty much the maximum you can do if you want to stay within reasonable temperatures.

You should discuss with darksideleader about the budget part though...
Old January 16, 2008, 07:28 PM
Allstar

Yeah, 3.6ghz on the E6750 was with a Zalman 9500.
Old January 18, 2008, 03:59 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertz View Post
A quick visit on PriceCanada.com led me to discover that Gigabyte's board is still the cheapest of the two other boards you named.

This conversation is really sad you know, arguing about what should be considered as budget and what shouldn't. What if I said budget overclocking board, is that going to make you happy enough to stop arguing over such a ridiculous thing?

The only reason I came up with that grandma comment is because you started talking about mATX boards which target a completly different market. I said absolutly nothing about your grandma using this particular Gigabyte board. She's probably going to run on a G33 or 690G chipset anyway.

Foxxconn does make high-end stuff as well by the way. Do you need a link or can you Google by yourself?
lmao yes that would make me happy.
My grandma's using a Pentium 2 board

Foxxcon only recently made some decent motherboards
my old AMD board was this board:
Foxconn - Products: Motherboard
so i knew foxxcon makes some half assed decent stuff, but kinda strange when you make a high end $200+ board and it gets an 100 dollar mail in rebate (assuming if it comes through). What does that tell you about the product?

If you really insist saying a 100+ board and $150 CPU as a budget system then by all means do it. NCIX or w/e computer store you buy from is very happy.
And the boards ASUS and biostar board, 10 bucks more then the gigabyte one. Still gigabyte is the cheapest though...
HIS Radeon HD 7970 - ASUS VW266 25.5" 1920x1200 LCD
Silverstone TJ08B-E -
Corsair TX750V2
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Ducky Keyboard DK9008
Logitech G500
Razor Vespula

Last edited by darksideleader; January 18, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old January 23, 2008, 08:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
Foxxcon only recently made some decent motherboards
my old AMD board was this board:
Foxconn - Products: Motherboard
so i knew foxxcon makes some half assed decent stuff, but kinda strange when you make a high end $200+ board and it gets an 100 dollar mail in rebate (assuming if it comes through). What does that tell you about the product?
You forgot the Foxconn MARS which is amongst the best P35 boards out there. More recently they released the X38A and they have a 790FX board coming along with a quad Crossfire board codenamed F1 or Transformer.

Oh and their upcoming X48 board will come with either fan or water cooling but also a dry ice tube.

Also, rofl @ that lame argument. That's a 590SLI chipset, welcome to last year. Of course it has a rebate, try selling a 1+ year old chipset along with an AMD processor. It was far from a bad board when it came out.