Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2010, 10:09 AM
Rookie

Default NCIX has just delivered a USED 980X to me!

I just received a core i7 980X 2 hours ago, and it is clear that it is not new. There is still heatsink compound on it as well as marks from a heatsink. In addition, there are scratches on the side of it as well.
How can they sell a $1200 processor as new when someone either RMA'd it or worse someone at NCIX went through a bunch of these trying to find a good one?
Does anyone have a contact number of a supervisor at NCIX? They are giving me a run around as to whether it is new or not! And I paid for advanced RMA!
Old July 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb18 View Post
I just received a core i7 980X 2 hours ago, and it is clear that it is not new. There is still heatsink compound on it as well as marks from a heatsink. In addition, there are scratches on the side of it as well.
How can they sell a $1200 processor as new when someone either RMA'd it or worse someone at NCIX went through a bunch of these trying to find a good one?
Does anyone have a contact number of a supervisor at NCIX? They are giving me a run around as to whether it is new or not! And I paid for advanced RMA!

They are in fact tested at factory before being sold.

The Intel boxes are usually solidly sealed with either a very obvious "Intel Factory Sealed" sticker, or the box itself is glued shut.
The flaps don't "re-close" after being opened so it would be fairly apparent even before you saw the CPU that it had been opened.
Old July 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Or Linus used it for Tech Tips.

I always wondered where all the stuff he uses goes.... ;)
Old July 12, 2010, 11:00 AM
Banned
F@H

document everything with pictures and what not. make sure not to use it if you want to return it or keep your initial claim :)
Old July 12, 2010, 11:46 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
They are in fact tested at factory before being sold.
Not like that. New CPUs do not have thermal paste residue or heatsink mounting marks.
Old July 12, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Not like that. New CPUs do not have thermal paste residue or heatsink mounting marks.
Agreed... although you should have noticed the package itself not being sealed. It's fairly obvious.
Old July 12, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Quote:

On a CPU true, Residue would be unlikely. But blemishes are nothing new - handled hundreds of CPU's and they aren't always spotless.

The fact he didn't mention anything about a box, leads me to believe it was an OEM unit in which case the possibility of coming into contact with some sort of residue would be extremely high.

I'm not advocating to just ignore it - just curious as to what the OP is looking for out of this thread? Not much we can do aside from presenting the possible scenario of why it is not used?

Last edited by FiXT; July 12, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old July 12, 2010, 12:17 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
On a CPU true, Residue would be unlikely. But blemishes are nothing new - handled hundreds of CPU's and they aren't always spotless.
No, but it depends what the blemishes are from. It's easy enough to tell the difference between machining marks and heatsink mounting marks if you know what you're looking for.
Old July 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
Rookie

Hi,

This was my first OEM (and last!). It came in a cardboard box, with a fragile sticker around it. Inside was the CPU in a plastic container. The sticker was kinda beat up.
The CPU has grey thermal compound on it and a clearly seem square imprinted on it's surface.
So it's either someone at NCIX is cherry picking them, and this is a reject or someone returned the CPU since it didn't OC well and is a reject. Either way, it's bad news.

NCIX will be cross shipping me another (took some arm twisting) but if the next one is the same, I will get an OEM.

Inexcusable.

What am I looking for? For one, are there any NCIX managers on this forum? In the past there was and he was extremely helpfull. For two, since this site is Canadian and there seems to be a lot of ties with NCIX here, it's a Member review of a Canadian company. Hopefully this will have a good outcome.
Old July 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Banned
F@H

let us know how it turns out.