Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OEM stuff always come in card board boxes tho...

They buy their processors in bulk in a tray and use a plastic clamshell to protect the CPU.

EDIT: How much cheaper was it than the retail box?

-Plato
Old July 12, 2010, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
How much cheaper was it than the retail box?
Looking at NCIX now, the OEM version is actually about $14 more expensive. Very weird.
Old July 12, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a bit off topic but I think the stuff from Linus Tech Tips go on their fleabay store.

Old July 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
Allstar

Thumbs down You should of bought retail since it's cheaper?

NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 6 Core LGA1366 Gulftown 3.33GHZ 12MB Processor OEM - AT80613003543AE In Canada.

$1174.99 oem

vs

NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 6 Core LGA1366 Gulftown 3.33GHZ 12MB Processor Retail Box - BX80613I7980X In Canada.

$1160.22 retail

With the retail you get a nice hsf to boot!

NCIX makes these boobs sometime...you have to be careful and search each version.

Not that it really matters but OEM comes with a one year vs a 3 year warranty.
Attached Images

CHEERS
Old July 12, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

OEM's are usually bundled with Mobo's or HSF for really good discounts.

I think they price the OEM's higher to discourage purchases of OEM CPU's by themselves as they are primarily intended for bundles.
Old July 12, 2010, 03:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I buy a fair bit from NCIX over the years, the've always been very good regarding support, give them a chance and I'm sure they'll make it good.

Another Guy From Canada
Old July 13, 2010, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Yes, they are making good, better than I thought...I'll fill you in later.

But when I bought it it was $50 cheaper than the retail (one day earlier!). None the less, I have a stack of OEM fans/heatsinks and didn't want another.
Old July 13, 2010, 02:31 PM

There are a couple of things I need to address in this thread:

1. No one here is going through and cherry picking CPUs. I can 100% guarantee that.

2. I've also gone through our RMA records and I can tell you for a fact that the one delivered to you is not one that has been returned by another customer.

3. Like FiXT I've handled hundreds of CPUs, and I've seen brand new sealed retail chips that clearly have scuff marks on the top from being tested. I've also seen (never thick residue mind you) grease marks in the shape of a circle normally where the IHS is discoloured from the compound that was used in testing. My guess is that the reason it's square with your chip is that it was used with the new Intel Extreme Edition stock heatsink for testing, which has a square contact patch.

4. All of that aside, if you're dissatisfied with your purchase, I know our RMA team will go to great lengths to get you taken care of and it looks like they're stepping up here and arranging the exchange for you. We really appreciate your patience and your business at NCIX. You can feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

PS: The Core i7 980X Extreme Edition I've used for Tech Tips is an engineering sample, so no, it wasn't used by me either :p

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old July 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
Banned
F@H

you see, this is what i mean. when you have an issue with a store, and the guy himself steps in to make things clear? thumbs up.
Old August 25, 2010, 04:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I purchased a new, retail box, BFG GTX 260 from NCIX a few years back and when I opened it, it had clearly been used, the anti-static bag had been opened and another sticker applied to close it again. Not to mention the card itself was it rough shape, the fanside plastic was all scuffed. I simply took it back to NCIX and told them to look it over and tell me if they thought it was a new product; they apologized and replaced it with a new one right there on the spot.