Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good review I have never used a USB Flash drive but now since the prices are down I just might go out and buy one it would save me time always burning things to disk then having to find then go through my stacks of disks just to find something this would definitely save time and space. also would be great for small portables FF and all of my docs. My cell phone uses ( never could figure out how to use it ) a small sd card that is supose to plug into my computer could that also be used to hold things like the Flash card? and if so how?

Last edited by Shadowmeph; November 29, 2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old November 30, 2007, 04:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Good review I have never used a USB Flash drive but now since the prices are down I just might go out and buy one it would save me time always burning things to disk then having to find then go through my stacks of disks just to find something this would definitely save time and space. also would be great for small portables FF and all of my docs. My cell phone uses ( never could figure out how to use it ) a small sd card that is supose to plug into my computer could that also be used to hold things like the Flash card? and if so how?
The chips that are in those little SD cards are very similar to the chips found on Flash drives.

If you want some idea's on good SD cards, depends on what your phone uses, check out the following products.

Sandisk SD micro 1GB
Future Shop: Accessories: Digital Memory: SanDisk 1 GB Micro SD Card

Patriot SD Micro/Mini 2GB
NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Signature MicroSD 3-IN-1 2GB Micro Secure Digital Flash Card W/ MiniSD And SD Adapter - PSF2GMCSD3P In Canada.

Kingston SD Mini 1GB
Future Shop: Accessories: Digital Memory: Kingston 1GB Mini SD Card

Kingston SD with USB adapter
Future Shop: Accessories: Digital Memory: Kingston TravelLite SD/MMC Reader With 1GB SD Card Combo

Norcent SD Micro 1gb with built in adapter
Best Buy Canada Web Store: Cameras & Camcorders: Digital Memory: Norcent 2GB Micro SD + USB Adapter

Sandisk 2GB SD card with built in usb adapter.
SanDisk | Products | Memory Cards | SD Cards | Ultra II SD Plus

The advantage of the last 2 products (Norcent, and Sandisk) is that the bottom half of the device folds down, revealing a USB plug, this plug, while flimsy compared to the standard USB plug, works quite well, just be a little careful. These types will spare you having to buy something like this:
NCIX.com - Buy nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SD/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable Seperated Connectors - NG-35INT-BK-CR In Canada..
or this
Future Shop: Accessories: Digital Memory: Optex Secure Digital Card Reader (OSDRDR)

One thing to keep in mind is that there are 2 different types of SD cards out there, and each in 3 different sizes, Standard, Mini, and Micro. The 2 different types are SD standard, and SDHC, The standard SD cards go up to 2GB, officially, and 4GB unofficially, the 4GB SD cards have been know to have compatibility issues. The SDHC cards start at 4GB, and go up to 8GB currently, and will theoretically go up to 2048GB (yeah, 2TB on card roughly the size of a quarter... That'd make a great laptop drive :D)

Hope that helps you out a bit.
Old November 30, 2007, 06:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice review Masasuka! ...just one question....Will It Blend? LOL

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 1, 2007, 11:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Nice review Masasuka! ...just one question....Will It Blend? LOL

ROFL. Maybe I'll send him an email to see. I don't have a blender like his. If I were to toss my titanium in my blender I'd do more damage to the blender than the titanium drive... :P
Old January 27, 2008, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect

Sort of a bump but I thought I'd show you this. I also have one of these drives [4GB] and love them. A review from APH Networks says that the reviewer (chconline) ran over the drive in his car and it didn't leave a scratch! Even more importantly I was going to remove U3 from my drive until I saw Package Factory. Package Factory is a freeware tool that converts programs in to .u3p's for use on U3.

Link to Package Factory.

My U3 Programs:
Old January 27, 2008, 02:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemØnik View Post
Sort of a bump but I thought I'd show you this. I also have one of these drives [4GB] and love them. A review from APH Networks says that the reviewer (chconline) ran over the drive in his car and it didn't leave a scratch! Even more importantly I was going to remove U3 from my drive until I saw Package Factory. Package Factory is a freeware tool that converts programs in to .u3p's for use on U3.

Link to Package Factory.

My U3 Programs:
Yeah, I noticed the new package factory. It's pretty cool.

I tried using it a couple times, for the most part, it works normally. Just don't try to create a package from contents on the drive, to a package on the drive, then install it from the drive, it doesn't work.
Kinda bugged me, creating a package on the drive, from files on the drive doesn't work.
Installing a package off the drive, also doesn't work.
Basically.
Plug in the drive.
run package factory
move any files that you want to package to the computer
make the package on the computer
install the package, from the computer to the drive...

little bit fussy, but still, nice program to have around.
I'll have to see if it will work with licensed programs (ie photoshop. MSOffice...)

While I haven't run over this thing in my car yet, I have abused it quite a bit. the switch (retracting/expanding the USB dongle) has stood up to repeated use rather well, it's still rather 'clicky' .
I have sat on the thing a couple times, dropped it, whacked it on desks (not on purpose, more tossed it on to desks, or walked it into a desk while in my pocket. etc...) and so far, it's holding up really well.

all in all, I'm still rather impressed. Performance is nice, size/weight is great, and after a couple months of good use, it's still feels rather solid, much like it's older brother. A great extension to sandisk's Titanium line.
Old January 27, 2008, 04:27 PM
Top Prospect

I have tested it on licensed programs (as you can see by the screenshot) FastStone Capture and YourUninstaller 2008 are both full versions. Any program will work as long as it doesn't rely on the registry too much. The only failed attempt with PackageFactory was the licensed version of WinRAR. However it seems that the trial version has a glitch and has an unlimited license but displays the annoying popup every time I start it up.