Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2010, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick response Slik and Technorat!

The motorized door is neat, but it's not an option I'll lose sleep on. As for the finish, is the Cosmic Black (NON-ALX) the same as Anodized Black (ALX). I hope they are because I am leaning towards the NON-ALX, reason being, all the options I need, is offered for the NON-ALX. I'm assuming I'm not going to beef the system up too much, but just enough to get around.

Specs that I am considering:

CHASIS COLOUR: Cosmic Black 1KW Power Supply
PROCESSOR: i7 960 Quad Core Processor
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Ultimate
MEMORY: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz (3x4GB)
HARD DRIVE: 256 SSD - Sold State Drive
GRAPHICS CARD: Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5970

TOTAL COST = $4024

If I were to price out the AREA-51 ALX, it comes to $5023, the only difference is the video card, it comes with the DUAL 1GB ATI 5870. But that's only $50 increase if I chose that option for the NON-ALX. It's very hard to justify to purchase the ALX because it's nearly $1000 difference in price + 13% tax. Let me know if I'm missing anything, or if I got something mixed up.

btw, the warranty seems like it's the same, it offers 1 YEAR BASIC SERVICE PLAN for both NON-ALX and ALX.

Thanks again guys, I will need your input!
Old June 20, 2010, 09:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

really, i don't see much point getting more than 920, or 930, you start throwing money out the window after that. There isn't much use for over 6gb ram for most uses, think twice before going to 12 for no more sake than because you can. It will drastically cut the cost of the system changing those 2 items. You can always overclock a 920 or 930 to what the 960 runs and beyond anyways. Same goes for win 7 ultimate, its a huge waste of money, basic win 7 version has 95% of all the features, all the other features in pro and ultimate are more business oriented, be really sure you are gonna use them or again you are throwing hundreds out the window.

PS i am not technorat :P

Old June 21, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree with Technokat.What I did not know,was that you have a PCI e slot for a sound card when using two video cards in the non ALX.Also,with the ALX there does not seem to be an option for Nvidia cards.I didn't take enough time checking those two models out as I would have preferred Nvidia. The ALX I bought was $5200 but it originaly came with a 1100 watt power supply,i975x Proc.,two 5970s a single 500gb H.D..Win.7 basic and the three year premium warranty.As we all know,Dell has since upgraded my rig so that warranty really paid off for me. Remember,when ordering by telephone,don't be afraid of negotiating.Those guys will do almost anything to make the sale.Buy the Warranty for as long as you can get it. 3 years.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old June 22, 2010, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Oops sorry about that Techno(k)at!

I've almost made up my mind on getting the NON-ALX. I hope the system is as great as what people are saying! And thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated!

I'm going through a friend of mine that works for Dell, so this is another big reason why I'm leaning towards the Alienware Area-51.

And yes, I will most definitely go with the three year basic warranty, just to play it safe since Dell has great customer support!

btw Slik, how's the TactX Keyboard?.. I'm consdering that too!
Old June 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have the tactx keyboard, i love it. Its pretty much a redesigned g11 by logitech, except it comes with the ability to change into any of the colours that the area 51 can. Same goes for the tactx mouse, i have that too. I love this mouse. It is a redesigned g9 by logitech. Its one of the most comfortable mice i have ever used.

Old June 22, 2010, 11:56 PM
Rookie

That sounds great!

Right now, I'm using the Razor Lycosa Keyboard and also the Razor Mamba Mouse. Keyboard isn't bad, but I'm sure there are lot out there that is better. The Razer Mamba, is probably the best mouse I've used so far, so I'm keeping this one for sure!

I think I'm going to try the TactX, it looks pretty neat, and it's time for a change!

One last question, the AREA-51 NON-ALX doesn't offer the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, instead it just comes with the Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio, would that be enough?
Old June 23, 2010, 03:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On board sound is not too bad these days.If you are not a nut about it,then you ought to be OK.Yoy should be able to put a sound card in later.I don't know what slots you have available but I think you should have room for a card.Also,Alienware offers the Creative card only and you may want to go Auzentech or Asus. Have fun with whatever you end up with and let us know.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old June 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i am running on that onboard sound currently. I was kind of dreading it, as i am a staunch soundcard guy, but its actually not bad at all. Not really missing the sound card much. I will wait to see about the new soundblaster titanium hd or the new asus xonar card before picking up anything new.

Old June 23, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Why would anyone pay that much for a pc ? Congrats nevertheless.
Old June 24, 2010, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtf View Post
Why would anyone pay that much for a pc ? Congrats nevertheless.
In my case,I want the best but I also want someone else to be responsible for returns and repairs etc.If I were to build one,I would be my own tech support and that would be a disaster.Paying a little more for high end hardware and a good warranty save me all kinds of money in the long run.Not only that,but how many times do you get to go around.Know what I mean?Thanks for your interest and support. Take care.