Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2010, 10:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Their PSUs are typically manufactured by Delta but as far as I have seen, their motherboards are custom Dell affairs, memory is usually Corsair-branded and graphics cards are usually OEM direct from ATI or NV.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Most of the time with big name manufacturer's, your paying for advertisement, and Alien[Dell]ware are no exception. You honestly are better off building a system on your own.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I tried talking him into building a system (which I would actually be doing if he decided to do so haha). I priced everything out and the final price difference isn't really that much considering the support and warranty Dell offers. I used to be a Dell on-site service tech and the lengths they go through to ensure the customer has a solid system is wild. They'll send parts out the ying-yang until every issue is completely resolved! He's been dealing with them for years so I don't blame him one bit for continuing to do so. They've treated him well. Dual 5970's and a watercooled i7 975 are parts they'll replace at the drop of a hat if need be! I've seen them deliever a whole new COMPLETE system when he requested them to do so. Keep in mind here that Slik is a retired older gentlemen who knows his shit but he's not exactly a hands on type of guy when it comes to gaming rigs....... he might be able to find his way around in a computer case but he can't lift and move around a monster machine such as the 720, 730X, and now this Area 51 he has coming lol...... and since I can't always be there to help him out, this is for sure his best route!

Last edited by Killswitch; April 9, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:07 PM

I totally agree actually. For the price, the standard, non-ALX systems are fairly good values considering the warranty, etc.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

In a sense I do agree Killswitch.

However I can tailor make anything I want to where as most of these systems do have a finite limit of parts you can choose from (may have changed since I purchased the last 'hell' for the wife).
And there is nothing more satisfying than flipping the switch for the first time on a custom build.

For many people this is a good route, and I will not argue that.

In my case, and the case of many there is a better route in choose cases We like to see, and parts that We want inside etc etc.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 9, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So what is difference between Aurora and Area 51, for almost the same configuration, the difference in pricing is a few hundreds.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:39 PM

Chassis.
Old April 10, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Chassis.
Depending on what you plan on upgrading,the chassis becomes very important when comparing the Aurora and Area 51. It's when you compare ALX models that you must pay attention.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old April 28, 2010, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

And a direct byproduct of chassis size is that the Aurora is mATX, while the Area 51 is regular ATX. Much easier to upgrade.
Old April 29, 2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

That is one ugly chassis IMHO. LOL!!!!!!

I think that i perferred the Alien looking case from the early 2000's instead.