Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Alienware m11x (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/30732-alienware-m11x.html)

impruv April 7, 2010 07:54 AM

Alienware m11x

Since Vagnaar already created a pretty good review, I'll try to do some stuff he hasn't reviewed yet. If there are any requests please let me know. I will get to benchmarking probably this weekend so let me know what you want to see.

I quick first impression: Very hefty but still a good size considering how small it is. Somewhat fingerprint magnet but not as bad as I thought. The keyboard shows your fingerprint oils pretty nicely but also quite easy to wipe off [so far]. Build quality is top notch and the fan is not too loud when using regularly. Also, the mouse keys go a little to deep for my taste so sometimes my click didn't register cause I didn't push all the way down.

For now, here are some quick videos.

Quick Unbox Video - I failed pretty hard at opening the box :(
Testing Winamp Plugin - flashes lights to the music, still very very beta as you can tell.
Testing Winamp Plugin 2

The winamp plugin has a bunch of sliders to adjust which led reacts to which frequencies and also
sliders to control:
Sound Energy
Energy Variance
Absolute Variance
Relative Variance

If anyone knows how to set this up to work with generally alot of songs that would be great. As you can tell, it just looks like the lights flash randomly the majority of the time. I have no idea how to configure them.

I'll try to get some pictures up later.

rjbarker April 7, 2010 12:50 PM

320 GB RAM??

4GB of HD space...?

uh huh....

impruv April 7, 2010 02:40 PM

Lol, i corrected myself in the video -_- :(

tupac44 April 7, 2010 06:13 PM

ive always asked myself if alienware was worth the price?

vagnaar April 8, 2010 10:40 PM

nice videos! that winamp plugin is cool. i will have to look into it for mine :D

DrPepper April 10, 2010 02:33 PM

"Recovery CDs? Come on, it doesn't even have a CD drive." Haha nice. Great review.

Snarl April 10, 2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tupac44 (Post 360285)
ive always asked myself if alienware was worth the price?

Fair question, I bought an M15x a few months ago and it's the best Laptop I've ever had so far :)

impruv April 12, 2010 01:46 PM

Still working on the benchmarks; I'll have some up by the end of this week.

And as far as whether it's worth it. I feel the $1000 price tag wasn't too bad and the build quality is exceptional. I've owned many asus laptops, one hp and a lenovo and it feels sturdier than anything I've ever used. Absolutely no flexing of the keyboard and monitor has no ripples.

Lights are always a bonus :)

sygma April 23, 2010 10:50 PM

hey guys, you can help me to find the plugin for winamp?? have a m15x an a want to try it too :D, do you have the plugin??

Jack_L2 May 24, 2010 01:51 AM

Nice buy. I always wanted an Alienware, maybe when $$ is more available