Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2007, 04:13 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
I have an M2N32-SLI Deluxe... <snip>

... Either way I can certainly bring it to 0C and see what your chip can do. For a short benchmarking run, only minimal insulation will be necessary on my board. PM me if you're REALLY curious.
YGPM.
boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old October 15, 2007, 11:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithotech View Post
Those temperatures are straight out of Everest Ultimate. They are verified with CoreTemp 0.95.4, which shows exactly the same numbers. CBId states that the thermal offset is -21C, but I fail to see how this can be applied to the temps that I get, and still have reasonable numbers.
You need an BIOS update. I'm sure that your MB doesn't know your CPU and how to calibrate sensors.

Quote:
It still drives me nutz, and I have yet to see an X2 dual core cpu that didn't have a fairly large difference between the two cores, and between the main cpu temp.
My X2 3800+ Windsor shows ~4C difference between cores and ~5C between cores and the main CPU temp, but in full-load (after half hour of Orthos) difference between all temps is ~2-3C.
Below are my temps with Ninja fanless on full-load and idle at ~28
C ambient
Attached Images

Last edited by burebista; October 15, 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old October 16, 2007, 07:10 PM
MVP

Thanks for the screens! What motherboard are you using?

When I said "yet to run into", I meant through my own hands. I've seen temps like your in other peoples screens, just haven't had a processor pass through me that didn't have this disparity. This with other motherboards than the ones used here, so I can't blame the mobo or bios for every one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post
You need an BIOS update. I'm sure that your MB doesn't know your CPU and how to calibrate sensors.
Of course, that may help... ASRock need to release one first, I am already on the most recent.

P2.30 dated 08/13/2007 - so there should be one out soon, it's due.

The ABit will be more a problem I think, I know the bios in it is old and already downloaded the most recent which is only April 2007. The board is discontinued, so I can only hope they keep updating the bios. I'll know if the 04/07 bios works good with this chip later tonight, or later as I'll have to move another CPU into it to do the flash, so I am thinking maybe put the 5000 Blacky in the BioStar for the next couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burebista View Post
My X2 3800+ Windsor shows ~4C difference between cores and ~5C between cores and the main CPU temp, but in full-load (after half hour of Orthos) difference between all temps is ~2-3C.
Below are my temps with Ninja fanless on full-load and idle at ~28C ambient
Old October 16, 2007, 10:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
What motherboard are you using?
Here is my setup.

CPU: X2 3800+
CPU HS: Ninja rev.B fanless
MB: ABIT KN9
GPU: BFG 7900GS OC
GPU HS: AC Accelero S1 fanless
HDD: WD 2500KS
HDD enclosure: Scythe Quiet Drive
MEM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4
DVD: LG H10N
PSU: Seasonic M-12 500
CASE: Antec P182
Case fan's: Scythe S-Flex 800 (exhaust), Scythe KAMA PWM (middle intake)
MISC: Coolink rubber bolts for exhaust fan and a piece of sponge for enclosure
SOFT: RMClock (for underclock/undervolt CPU), SpeedFan (for fan speed control: exhaust controlled by CPU temperature and middle fan controlled by GPU temperature), RivaTuner (temps monitoring and dynamic GPU underclock/overclock based on GPU load: desktop or games).
Old December 26, 2007, 09:15 PM
Allstar

Wow thanks for the in-depth review!
Old December 31, 2007, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Lithotech, have you tried the processor yet on a Biostar board? If so what board and if you haven't gotten a board yet, I've heard people having great luck with the Tforce 560 AM2+ boards. I'm thinking about getting this board or the Tforce 570 SLI. Haven't quite made up my mind yet.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old January 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
Lithotech, have you tried the processor yet on a Biostar board? If so what board and if you haven't gotten a board yet, I've heard people having great luck with the Tforce 560 AM2+ boards. I'm thinking about getting this board or the Tforce 570 SLI. Haven't quite made up my mind yet.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, been too busy through and after xmas to do much on any of my personal projects.

Short answer:

Nope.
It's a TF550, ver 1.3.

I'd personally recommend the AM2+ board simply for the native Phenom support and HyperTransport 3. Note that one board manufacturer added a + to the names of their latest boards, but are not true AM2+ boards -- I am pretty sure it was Biostar, but may have been Foxconn. While it may still run an AM2+ cpu, it will not fully support HT3 or the new voltage and powersavings features. Buying a new AM2 board without this is shooting yourself in the foot. Just verify this before buying.

Long Answer:

The Biostar was originally an older version I bought open box, before they fixed the problem with the memory voltage regulators. The board was pretty much DOA when I got it, and had burn marks on the bottom of the board, underneath the ram voltage regulators. Gah! I RMA'd the board and they sent me a brand new version 1.3 board. As you can imagine, I was very happeh to receive this! :D

The cpu is still in the Abit NF-M2. Other work came in and I had to make room on my bench, so I plopped it into it's case... and then ran into heat problems. Doh! The case is a SFF Ultra MicroFly which has always given me a bit of an intake problem but for the most part cools pretty good and quiet for what it is. However, I was hitting high temps at idle, and way high load, cool n quiet wasn't working properly, and a couple other things.

I managed to tame it for the most part, but it's pretty much stuck at stock speed in this case because temps still ramp up too much when load testing an overclock.

I ended up testing a couple other CPU heatsinks in the process, one of which is completly NFG (the new Arctic Cooling Freezer Low Profile). It's currently got a Thermalright XP-90 on it untill I find time to see how an XP-120 fits. I'll post some pics of all this when I find time to edit and upload them.

Stockspeed temps with the XP-90 and a Scythe 90mm PWM fan 30-33 cpu, 31 mobo, and 42 PWM for idle. Load temps are 54-55 cpu, 34 mobo and 46 PWM (folding at home load).

The system is in use at the moment, as a PVR for recording TV, and editing/ripping video. Throughout all this, I was kind of thinking of scrapping the Biostar tests. I am still undecided on this, but if I do proceed with the Biostar it'll be several weeks before I get to it.

The X2-4200 that used to be in the Abit is now in the Biostar, stored in a box and on a shelf. I really need to test the 4200 before I pull it. And before I do that, I need to finish moving my 680i into a case, and then drop a socket 939 board on the HSPC to test some DDR1 ram I just got. I've also got another board/cpu/ram to setup and test, before swapping it into my brother's kids system within the next two weeks.

To top it off, stoopid clients keep calling with various problems (I really should be on the phone instead of typing this LOL), and paying work should come before personal work. Uggh. :D

Anyways, I'll not delete the Biostar reserved slot just yet, I may get to it soon enough as I really do want to see where this cpu goes with a better chipset. I am still quite unfamiliar with the TF550, and look forward to experimenting with the huge selection of BIOS options it has for memory.

Last edited by Lithotech; January 7, 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Additions and corrections
Old January 7, 2008, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I ordered the Biostar TF 560 AM2+. Next week I'm going to order a 5000+ BE. I found a thread over at PC Perspective regarding the TF560 and 5000 Black.

I'll be doing a worklog of my build with lots of pics. As for cooling I'm going with the AC Freezer 64 and the case will be a Coolermaster CM690 with 6x120mm fans for cooling.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old January 8, 2008, 12:10 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
I ordered the Biostar TF 560 AM2+. Next week I'm going to order a 5000+ BE. I found a thread over at PC Perspective regarding the TF560 and 5000 Black.

I'll be doing a worklog of my build with lots of pics. As for cooling I'm going with the AC Freezer 64 and the case will be a Coolermaster CM690 with 6x120mm fans for cooling.
SixPack of Phat Fans!

Looking forward to seeing it. Going to check into that thread too.

It's hard to describe how pleased I am with one little tiny change they made which was a constant irritating thorn present in just about every other motherboard Biostar makes. I avoid their mobos because of it, and only it. It's something that in this day and age with how popular performance systems are, you just sort of /boggle! Hello? /knocks head! There is a reason all the things on a motherboard are located where they are, exactly here, or right along there, yadda. Why must they insist on being different when the difference is hanging on to legacy mistakes made by engineers and designers that don't give a poot about what the inside of their computer looks like.

Guessed what I am talking about yet?

It's just that this one little thing sort of ruins what is otherwise a very nice product! Rich with features lacking in anything else in it's price range. I know I'd have used many Biostar boards in the last couple years worth of builds if it wasn't for this one little thing.

I can forgive BIOS features that don't work because the ones that count do work, and work great. Nope, thats not it.

You can't tell me that it's that much cheaper to make a mobo with this thing HERE instead of right THERE /stabs finger!
Sorry for the rant, but I admit that felt good.

The main ATX connection right smack in the middle of the %$#@! motherboard, pinched back toward the IO plate making it impossible to route a cable there without drapping it across the whole damn system, putting huge kinks in it to get around even a stock heatsink! And don't even think aboudit if your PSU has short lines, your better off just leaving it on top of the box it came in with the PSU strewn all over your desk, your mouse constantly hitting the hard drive -- you would be much more relaxed that way. :help:

So! Yeah! Hallelujah! The ATX connection is now on the right edge of the mobo, where it belongs! Where it evolved to! As people vented, ranted, bitched and complained, and the manufacturers began to listen, make changes, evolved the layout of a modern motherboard. As trends became apparent, everyone joined the bandwagon except AssRock, Biostar... oh no... I've started again...

Old January 8, 2008, 12:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm glad they made that change too. Feel free to rant about it. I would. I was reading the manual PDF and their BIOS termonology and BIOS layout is something to be desired. But I'm gonna try a modded BIOS. I used on in my DFI board and it worked great.

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com