Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Fractal Design - Tesla and Newton PSU's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/28928-fractal-design-tesla-newton-psus.html)

mattlef February 15, 2010 04:24 PM

Fractal Design - Tesla and Newton PSU's

mattlef February 15, 2010 04:24 PM

mattlef February 15, 2010 04:25 PM

Zero82z February 15, 2010 05:52 PM

A few big problems:

1) You listed your testing as being for voltage regulation and efficiency. I see no efficiency testing there. I presume that is because you took that heading from SKYMTL's PSU reviews, but you should not say that you are going to test it if you aren't actually going to.

2) You did not specify how you tested voltage regulation. I assume you used some kind of software, since the readings you have look totally out of whack. In addition, it doesn't look like you did your homework either, because according to your results, everything except for the +3.3V rail is way out of spec, and yet you did not list that as a negative in your review.

3) You list the fact that these PSUs come with European power cables as a con. That doesn't make sense, because the products you reviewed were European retail items. If they didn't come with European power cables, then there would be something wrong.

4) You said that the 650W unit having four +12V rails is a con. Do you have a reason for that? I would not consider that a negative unless the rails were improperly balanced. Since you did not take apart the PSU to analyse the rail distribution, it is not possible to make that judgment.

mattlef February 15, 2010 06:27 PM

As per our PM, this is, and will remain a Preview thread.

Soultribunal February 19, 2010 01:54 PM

One Question, and one statement just so I can help you out a bit.

The statement is I think you should re-consider the award nomenclature you have used. Although it sounds cool and l337 , its best to chose something of a more mature catagory that can't be taken as slang for a not so kind word.

The question is, how exactally did you load up all the Rails 3.3, 5, 12 on these to run them at 100%?

ST

Zero82z February 19, 2010 06:33 PM

I also find it a bit interesting that they picked the Newton branding, since Delta (the largest PSU OEM in the world) actually sells some of its PSUs under the brand name of Newton.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 336273)
The question is, how exactally did you load up all the Rails 3.3, 5, 12 on these to run them at 100%?

He didn't. Hence why he removed the 'review' portion of his post after my reply.

Polygon February 19, 2010 09:46 PM

Other than those problems it was an interesting review. Also Linus has just reviewed these products if anyone wants a video review to get a better look at them.

anthonee1230 February 24, 2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpolyz (Post 336519)
Other than those problems it was an interesting review. Also Linus has just reviewed these products if anyone wants a video review to get a better look at them.

FTR he did a product unboxing, not a review ;)

Soultribunal February 24, 2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonee1230 (Post 338944)
FTR he did a product unboxing, not a review ;)

Correction. Read the Bottom part of the post. I am not here to nitpick but Factual is factual.

He wrote " The 135mm Fan was quiet even at 100% load"

So, what did he do? An Un-boxing or a testing?

I just want clairty. I think his setup is excellent and what he is trying to do is very good. I.E. Fractal Designs Case for example.

ST