Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Look; don't wimp out over content in a video game.

You either SEVERELY limit all games and every bit of content and never allow anything that will offend anyone, ever.

Or you don't censor them at all.

I prefer the latter. You can put whatever you want in a friggin video game, a human being still has to make a decision based on that bull crap.
I don't think that is the issue here. This is a very grey area, no one is talking about censoring anything. They are talking about the devices used in this game to either a) interact in an important part of the story and elicit an emotional response through it... b) participate in tasteless violence... c) simply stir up controversy for the sake of PR and help sales.

I don't believe anyone on this forum is interested in censorship. We just have opinions on this kind of content.

For instance... let's say there's a game where you are tracking down a rapist. And in one mission you play the rapist and go through the act of luring and raping a woman... or maybe several women. And it's all very graphic and disturbing. Now the publisher says this is a part of the story that "flushes out" the story arc of the game and you can choose whether or not to play the mission. Liberty aside etc... do you think it would be tasteless to include that kind of content in the game? I do, just like I feel like the No Russian mission is tasteless and games like GTA and Postal are tasteless.

Am I going to rally and cry a ban on these kinds of games. No because our society says we are a culture of choice, and I am good with that. But I can have an opinion and try to explain to others why this kind of content isn't really necessary nor is it in good taste. And if others begin to feel the same way and speak with their wallets, maybe the popularity of this kind of content will die down and publishers will choose better ways to entertain us and flush out stories.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 10, 2010, 12:15 PM
MVP

Ever since I played C&C 95 back when I was 12, I always preferred games that allowed you to play all the factions, not just the "good guys" (United States).

There is a mission in C&C 95 as Nod where you have to go in and kill all the villagers because they are voiceing their opposition to Kane. They are completely unarmed, you just have to kill them all fast before GDI arrives. This is just as bad as the no Russian mission, except of course for the graphics.

Whats my point? Make games where you can play all sides, and if you don't like your side then switch sides. SKYMTL said he likes to watch movies because he wants to see the bad guys get what is coming to them. Sometimes I like to root for the bad guys because they have so much more style and come up with much more interesting plans.

I usually skip games altogether that don't offer at least two sides. It should be about choice.
Old January 10, 2010, 06:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I do believe they are pushing the envelope with this. but only in a game sence. If you look at any other media such violence is more then tolerated. hell, its welcome by all those who use it. When I played the mission i felt nothing. why? it's not because I'm heartless. its because I know its a game, nothing more, ones and zeroes. the fact that someone can possibly be affected by such a visual stimuli amuses me.

The warning was plainly sited at the beginning of the game. so whoever accepts to play it agrees to not bitch about it. Plain and simple. I liked the game, I will continue playing the game
Old January 15, 2010, 06:10 AM
Allstar

It was completely unnecessary and tasteless. I don't understand why they even put it...really stoopid in my opinion.

CHEERS

Last edited by Mark; January 17, 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old January 15, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What the heck is this all about? Not like this is the first game to do this. I would never hurt anyone in real life but I had no problem playing this mission and found it fun. I like to play different sides. Usually in video games like RPGs I play the good guys first and then be a total bad ass second. I see nothing wrong with this level other than there are no children :p.

I never heard a single complaint about blowing up an entire town in Fallout 3 with a nuclear bomb.

I did hear complaints about red alert 2 though because you have a mission where you have to blow up the twin towers and I bought it after September 11th 2001. I found nothing wrong with it.

In mass effect you can kill entire planets.

There are so many games where you kill more people and in more ways.

I also find GTA IV a lot of fun.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 17, 2010, 04:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I thoroughly enjoyed shooting civilians

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old January 17, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I played it last night, I found the level to be more or less boring. It did fit into the storyline, however.

I have no more issue with this level than I do the rest of the game. Being in a different country and shooting it's civilians is wrong. You shouldn't be there. Guns are for defense, in my opinion.... but whatever, in the end it's just a game to me. I'll "go to war" in COD, but I wouldn't do it in real life unless Canada was attacked.
Old January 25, 2010, 05:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I just played the scene and 2 things made it not as bad, the fact that you are an agent, not the terrorist, and from what I understand you don't have to pull the trigger on civilians.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ya i just walked through and followed them to complete it. Second go around i just said.. meh.. sprayed.