Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 11:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Yes. I don't have a problem with the game. I do have a problem with adults allowing minors to play this game. Rated 17+? You need to be 17+ to go near the game. Lets hope that parents are being vigilant and making sure their kids are not playing this...
However they're not ...
I know a bunch if under 10 year olds playing this game ... after school.

The number grows with under 17 year olds as well.

I showed 10 people the video today, all teens.
Not one of them showed a reaction, the most common reaction was " HOLY S... AWESOME I WANNA PLAY THIS MISSION!"

Society isn't as great especially with the new generation coming up .
I too, did not feel anything from this mission.
It's like someone said gangsters and mafia are way closer to us .
People get shot all the time, not via acts of terrorism.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Common, really? This is isnt a terrorist trainging program or anything. And I don't recall any Russians going into an airport and massacring people like someone said "it's too early for this!". I'm assuming that's in regards to 9/11 or something though? There's always terrorism and shootings going on and always will be. You'll also see it on the news, which will glorify it. And what about the rest of the game? It's a War simulator, and no one finds that "tasteless" but a level where you shoot at a bunch of unarmed virtual characters, or an even better yet; polygons, is bad? Theres a bunch of people dying over in Iraq/Afghanistan and we sit here playing these games shooting people thinking it's fun. If anything I find that more disturbing, although I do think it is fun :) And they even give you a chance to skip so you don't have to play it. I'll admit I was like WTF when I started playing that level but only because it was just unexpected, but it's part of the story. It shows that these guys are a bunch of terrorists and just want to wipe out the US. I also think that in regards to the story that the russians were making a point and trying to instill fear amongst the citizens of the US. If you read it in a book would it make it less tasteless cause you're watching it? And what about movies like SAW that are based on people's lives ending? House of 1000 corpses? Texas chainsaw massacre (which was based on a true story)? It didn't make me feel bad or any of that stuff, you know why? Cause it's a game. I also don't really think it helped sell any extra copies of the game, because it would have made record sales regardless. People didn't go out and buy this $60 game to play 1 level in the single player campaign just to see what the hype was about. OH and I 100% agree with chriskwarren, parents are buying this game for their kids and they're like here watch this violence of blasting people in the face with guns? I play games online and always here these10 year old kids on there and can't believe that parents let their kids play these games. It's obvious that they're parents buy it for them cause how else could they get their hands on A) $60 and B)an M rated game? Games are rated M for a reason. Especially if you hear some of the language some people use online. That is poor parenting if you let your kids play those games. Obviously parents don't even look at what they're buying for their kids. Not trying to be a dick in this post or anything here it's just that way I see it.

Video games = movies. Same thing. Form of entairtainment that you stare at on your TV. Oh and I guess none of you have ever played Manhunt.

Last edited by headsh0t; January 2, 2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old January 3, 2010, 08:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Kids love shooting hte crap out of innocent people.
but should we let them?? when i was a little kid i felt bad shooting things in video games.. i eventually became numb to it and said "they aren't real its just fun" is this bad? what are we saying to our children by giving them games where they mow down innocent people.. women and children..
Old January 3, 2010, 09:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
but should we let them?? when i was a little kid i felt bad shooting things in video games.. i eventually became numb to it and said "they aren't real its just fun" is this bad? what are we saying to our children by giving them games where they mow down innocent people.. women and children..
I've started playing games like Starcraft, Warcraft and Age of Empire when I was ~8 along with Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Syphon Filter when I was ~11 and Dynasty Warrior, Soul Calibur and Wolfenstein when I was ~14...etc. Now I'm 20 (21 in 3 days ) and I'm pretty aware of what is violence and what is happening in the world today violence-wise;

All these wars about religion, culture or money or be it **human nature**, all the hate for the same reasons and I won't hide it, I'm part of this violence , I do hate some other cultures, not because of their color or ''races'' - humans are one and unique race, the only difference between people is the culture - since first of all I'm atheist, I believe doing stuff in the name of a ''superior being'' (which we have no proof to exist or not) is idiotic, I believe everyone should be treated as equal - we all bring something to this world: men, women, childs, oldies, etc... hence IMO the fact that we kill innocent women or childs in 'No Russian' doesn't really affect me and as far as I remember, there were no childrens killed in this mission, women yes, but I don't recall seeing childs killed. In some other game (World of Warcraft) I would have liked to be able to kill Anduin Wrynn (who is a kid) and canibalism him being part of the Horde/Undeads - heck! he's the leader of my enemies...why should I not be able to kill him because he's a kid?...Anyways, I think making a game were you can sexually assault someone (RapeLay) is worst than shooting whatever comes in your sight, sure it takes deranged people to buy these games, but think about the guys who created them... ;

**because yes, deep within our hearts and minds, we all have these mindless killers/hunters, but with today's society, we don't need to be mindless beasts since it's easier to survive and protect those who are important to us today than it was thousands of years ago, yet it's still inside of us in some way but we adapted, we NEED some kind of violence in order to survive and this violence now-a-day comes from things such as music, movies, video games, books...etc**

Again, it's just a game...
Old January 3, 2010, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ok , let me get this straight.

People who have gone and actually paid for an 18+ "extreme graphic violence" game are offended by the content ?

Hey guys , buy different games , shooters are not for you.....and if you were offended , you already know that you are easily offendable , so you shoulda clicked the button.

------

Fun game . single player is fine, the standard stuff.... , but the multiplayer is really fun.

Old January 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Does it make me a bad person if i enjoyed the level, not like i'll actually go and do a thing like that. I enjoy my violence in the fake world with video games and movies (maybe a little in hockey/sports).
Old January 3, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
Ok , let me get this straight.

People who have gone and actually paid for an 18+ "extreme graphic violence" game are offended by the content ?

Hey guys , buy different games , shooters are not for you.....and if you were offended , you already know that you are easily offendable , so you shoulda clicked the button.
Exactly.

Is it tasteless? Yes
Does it add anything to the game? not really except shock value

Just don't buy it or play it if you think you will be offended. There are more disturbing games and movies out there.

And to be fair, you're playing an undercover soldier to gain the trust of the terrorist.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Heres another taste of what looks to be the most epic game of all time lol. Chock full mowing down innocent civilians every which way possible. And to be fair, it looks like RWS did an excellent job from this footage.

YouTube - Postal 3 - Gameplay trailer
Old January 3, 2010, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For me it has nothing to do with being offended with GTA, Postal etc... It's just poor taste on the part of the creators and participants. I also find some music tasteless too, usually the gangsta rap that glorifies that lifestyle. But I could care less if someone else likes it. But I'll be damned if my kids are going to listen to that crap in my house :P

I like violent games. I run around and shoot aliens, bad guys etc... Usually it's a pretty fun experience. But playing a game about senseless violence doesn't interest me. I like playing the hero. Even better I like playing a flawed hero. But there is nothing "fun", "exciting" or "heroic" about gunning down innocents, even if they are all virtual. It's more than just the action in a game that I like. I enjoy building an emotional connection to what I am doing. Much the same way I do with a good book or movie. But I have no interest or even ability to build a connection with a game about senseless violence.

I think the MW2 mission goes too far because, for the most part in that game, you build a good connection with the game like you would with any good FPS, playing the hero. So when it throws you into a mission that goes so far against the grain it ruins the experience, at least it would for me, it's poor taste. It is present in the game for one reason, to stir the pot and help sales. And if senseless violence is your thing and you want to play that mission over and over, I'd have to say you're one sick f*ck.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 3, 2010, 01:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I like violent games. I run around and shoot aliens, bad guys etc... Usually it's a pretty fun experience. But playing a game about senseless violence doesn't interest me. I like playing the hero. Even better I like playing a flawed hero. But there is nothing "fun", "exciting" or "heroic" about gunning down innocents, even if they are all virtual. It's more than just the action in a game that I like. I enjoy building an emotional connection to what I am doing. Much the same way I do with a good book or movie.
I like to play bad guys!

I just started a new character at Oblivion, named my custom class ''Widowmaker'' and playing him as a cold-blooded assassin killing innocents and stealing from their corpse whenever I can, I also plan to play as a vampire after completing Dark Brotherhood and Thief Guild

In inFAMOUS, I went with the dark side, anything to save my ass, killing innocents if needed.

In WoW I was playing either Gnomes (y'all know they're the true evil...) or Undead for Cannibalism

I always prefer being the bad guy in games, because I know I ain't one IRL