Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can just walk the the airport and shoot no-one... you can just spray at walls...
Old January 2, 2010, 06:10 PM
Banned
F@H

That's what I like in Stalker, not only you can spray the walls, but you can shoot the terrorist, you have free play, no need to fallow a stupid story line.
Old January 2, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Time for me to chime in.

I played the game, including "No Russian" of course. Then when I was done I went back and played it on Recruit for kicks. Then I did it on Hardened, then on Veteran for more kicks. Then for extra kicks yet I did it again and again specifically going back and killing as many people as possible before they run off or bleed to death. I don't think an emotional response from this game is justifiable at all. I liked this level, and I liked it A LOT. It was a great idea putting in this level. It doesn't take anything too far.

This is what happens in real life, get with it. Now you're the finger pulling the trigger, and so what changes? Yeah, you control it, but nonetheless it's virtual. It doesn't mean anything. These people aren't real. What do you guys think this is, The Matrix contained in your PC or something? Like these people you're killing are actual people in a little capsule somewhere on the planet? These "people" are nothing more than "Person1.exe," if that. If you don't like it, then it's got a message RIGHT THERE saying it's bad, and the option to not play it.

And Lamb, I have to say, major props on the Hello Kitty sentiment. I laughed.

I'm downloading Postal 2 now
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old January 2, 2010, 06:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Sorry but there is absolutely NO difference to enjoying watching violent movies and enjoying playing violent video games. To use your argument SKYMTL, YOU chose to rent a sick movie watching helpless people die. You can justify it any way you like, but they are one in the same.
Watching

Doing

How do you figure they are one and the same? If I see a murder committed, it that the same as carrying one out? No.

The same goes for video games versus movies. In a game like GTA or MW2 (with all its hype about that scene), you KNOW what you are going to get. In a movie, if you knew what you were going to get, there would be no point in watching since the plot line and conclusion would be blown.

They aren't the same. Period.
Old January 2, 2010, 06:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Video games and movies compete with each other for our entertainment dollars. Movies are gradually getting more violent, so I think that video games following suit is a natural progression. Even the news is getting pretty graphic. I do believe that a video game takes it to a slightly higher level, but if other forms of entertainment can elevate violence then video game violence will simply follow suit.

You want to scale back video game violence? You are going to have to scale it back in other entertainment media as well.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 2, 2010, 07:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Watching

Doing

How do you figure they are one and the same? If I see a murder committed, it that the same as carrying one out? No.
its a video GAME!! not real life! your not really killing people. enjoying it in-game or in a movie is the same thing. we'll never agree on this so this is my last post in this ridicules thread.

Old January 2, 2010, 07:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Watching

Doing

The same goes for video games versus movies. In a game like GTA or MW2 (with all its hype about that scene), you KNOW what you are going to get. In a movie, if you knew what you were going to get, there would be no point in watching since the plot line and conclusion would be blown.

They aren't the same. Period.
I watch 300 again every year since it's out, I even bought the DVD...talk about one bloody/violent movie
Old January 2, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I believe censorship is more dangerous than anything else. Life goes on.
Old January 2, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
its a video GAME!! not real life! your not really killing people. enjoying it in-game or in a movie is the same thing. we'll never agree on this so this is my last post in this ridicules thread.
But you are doing the ACTUAL MURDERING of **virtual** innocent people, not just watching. "Enjoying" violence is OK but committing is not.

-Plato
Old January 2, 2010, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're not killing anyone, you're pressing a button (or pulling a trigger) that makes a virtual object perish.... not at all similar to actually killing anyone, even in an actual similar. It's nothing like holding a gun and pulling the trigger.