Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2010, 02:23 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly I don't know what the big deal is. It's mostly people who think they should be upset so they act upset. Honestly GTA has killed more innocent people then MW2.

Old January 2, 2010, 02:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

hasnt anyone played postal 2 yet lol? the essence of that game is to butcher the innocent as creatively as possible. Gas + book of matches combined with an assualt rifle suppresed with a cat to clean up the mess FTW.
Old January 2, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
Honestly I don't know what the big deal is. It's mostly people who think they should be upset so they act upset. Honestly GTA has killed more innocent people then MW2.
While I agree with you, that GTA has killed more innocent people then mw2, the GTA series was fantasy based and has little to do with extremist ideology and terrorism. What hit home for me, and spurred me to write this, was that IW were ballsy enough to encorporate such a event into gameplay. Especially for those of us who have been affected by terrorism, directly or non-directly, its bound to elicit an emotional response. I'm saying that including this in gameplay was useless and in poor taste. It's glorifying extremist acts for the sake of making a point. no other game has done that, so comparisons to GTA are baseless.

I'm not talking about random acts of violence. I'm discussing targeted, calculated and executed acts of terrorism.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old January 2, 2010, 03:18 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
..... I'm discussing targeted, calculated and executed acts of terrorism.
you have to disconnect from the reality........ it's a game . at least that make you realize the horror of the thing.
Old January 2, 2010, 03:33 PM
MVP

I'll admit I haven't played the mission personally, but to me, saying that this kind of content should simply not allowed in video games is like saying Huckleberry Finn should be banned for its excessive use of the word "nigger." Yes, it's typically frowned upon...heavily...but people fail to take into context the usage.

More to the point, nobody is forcing you to play the game, nor are they forcing you to play this mission if you do play the game. Furthermore, as the OP said, it does elicit strong emotions, which is exactly what IW was trying to do with this mission.
Old January 2, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Kids love shooting hte crap out of innocent people.
Yep
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 2, 2010, 03:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It's a game. Rated mature. Where you kill people. For fun. And you buy it knowing what you'll be doing, what's the problem? I don't care about killing innocent people in game, be it women or childs. You even get the option to pass the mission, if you chose to not, don't cry, you've still done it and gave your money to the company who created the game.

There are worst games out there;
"RapeLay"

Now THAT is disgusting.
Old January 2, 2010, 04:10 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Let me spark more controversy.

Less than a decade ago, VIDEO GAMES didn't need to distinguish themselves by the level of violence they portrayed. The fact that games like GTA and its ilk even exist disgust me to no end. IMO, mowing down innocents takes it several steps too far, especially when the events in the game closely follow actual events that are still raw in many people's memories.

A line has to be drawn. Yes it is a big deal and no, games should not need these "features".
Old January 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
hasnt anyone played postal 2 yet lol? the essence of that game is to butcher the innocent as creatively as possible. Gas + book of matches combined with an assualt rifle suppresed with a cat to clean up the mess FTW.
Ahh, Postal 2. I LOVE THAT GAME! Don't forget the creative ways you can put out the fires with!!!
Old January 2, 2010, 04:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Let me spark more controversy.

Less than a decade ago, VIDEO GAMES didn't need to distinguish themselves by the level of violence they portrayed. The fact that games like GTA and its ilk even exist disgust me to no end. IMO, mowing down innocents takes it several steps too far, especially when the events in the game closely follow actual events that are still raw in many people's memories.

A line has to be drawn. Yes it is a big deal and no, games should not need these "features".
whats the difference between video games and movies? movies have had violence just like this for a lot longer.. the movie industry can make money with violence but game companies cant? don't like it don't play or watch it.