Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2009, 12:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Gateway NV53 from Staples

Ok, had this laptop for a couple weeks and it's performed very nicely for a $600 laptop.

Specs are:
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 M500 @ 2.2GHz
Memory 4096MB DDR2
Hard Drive 320GB 5400RPM SATA
CD-DVD Drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW
Graphics Chipset ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512mb dedicated, Up to 2304 MB of HyperMemory
Display 15.6" HD WXGA Ultrabright LED-backlit Display 1366x768 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio
Network Capable 802.11 b/g/Draft-N Wireless LAN
10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Ports Media card reader, 4x USB 2.0 ports, HDMI port with HDCP support, External display (VGA) port, Headphone/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support, Microphone-in jack, Ethernet (RJ-45) port, Modem (RJ-11) port DC-in jack for AC adapter
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Edition DUAL BOOT - English OR French
Dimensions 28.5 /37mm(H) x 372mm(W) x 250mm(D)
Weight 2.65kg
Warranty 1-year limited

Win7 experience index:(set to max performance)
Processor:5.7
Memory:7.0
Graphics(desktop):4.1
Graphics(gaming):6.0
Hard drive:5.9

Tested with Bioshock and C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising
Bioshock was around 30fps with everything set to high
Uprising was a little over 20 with everything set med-high

I'll make a post with some other games(crysis, cod4) a little later into the break when I've had time.

I installed oracle and netbeans for my courses and they run nicely. Netbeans has a bit of lag when building and launching applets, but it might be because I downloaded the beta, I'll experiment more.
There's no noticable difference between my desktop and laptop for oracle, but I'm working with fairly small databases.

Speakers are average for a laptop, not something you wanna listen to music on, but ok for youtube videos.
With headphones the sound is perfectly fine.

Screen is nice, the resolution 1366x768 is actually not bad at all for watching video's.
The keyboard is ok, but I'm still getting used to it, the layouts a bit different from my Saitek Cyborg.
I wish that the left shift was 2 keys wide and not 1, and that the enter key was one row lower. I also don't use numberpads so a full size keyboard without number pad would have been my preference. It's still not a big deal for me though, just something I need to get used to.
It would have been nice if the keyboard were backlit as well, but not something you should expect a $600 laptop to have, but I'll get it on the next one.

It also doesn't have dedicated media controls, just FN + F(7-12) which I would have used a lot.
I love the touch pad though, its sort of a matte finish, and not smooth and sticky like my friends hp dv9000. It'll still jump the mouse a little but its much better then the HP.

Cosmetically I wish the back of the lcd was the same finish as the touchpad and wrist rests(matte), and not all glossy, it's a fingerprint magnet. I think it'd look better, and fingerprints wouldn't show at all.
This doesn't bother me though, I didn't even think about cosmetics for a second when buying a laptop.

Full drain gaming and wifi the battery is good for a little over an hour, something like 65minutes.
Power saving mode with no wifi I havn't drained fully, but it estimates it at about 3hours.

Overall PRO'S:
-Great value for the hardware included.
-Works nicely for casual gaming.
-Touchpad works well.
-Only weighs 5.8lbs, and it dominates my friends 8-9lb dv9000
-Best GPU I could find for laptops under $700.
-4gb of ram(just as much as my desktop haha)
-Very well cooled, and gpu fan isn't loud.
-4 usb instead of 3 like some laptops.
-attractive appearance(until you touch it, haha)

Overall CON's:
-Keyboard layout is a little awkward(for me) and not backlit.
-6 cell battery dead in an hour if gaming.
-5400rpm harddrive.
-Looks dirty quickly
-no blu-tooth

I'd give it a 8/10, if it had blu-tooth, led keyboard, and a 9 or 12 cell I would give it a

For $600 I'm sure you'd have trouble to find a better laptop.
I'll try to format this later, for some reason it's just posting as a big wall of text

Last edited by canmx120; December 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: tried to format

Tags
4570 , gaming , gateway , laptop , nv53