Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Dell U2410 review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/26359-dell-u2410-review.html)

Kilauea December 8, 2009 01:17 PM

Dell U2410 review

3 Attachment(s)
On Friday the 4th of December (at around 1am) I finally decided myself to order the Dell U2410 for 479.99(or something like that), it was scheduled to be delivered on the 14th of the December, don’t ask me how or why, today, the 8th of December, it was delivered thanks to Dell and to Purolator.

Here is a little disclaimer, I am a French speaking Canadian; therefore, english isn’t my native tongue, it is quite possible, I make a few mistakes, but rest assured, I am not doing so to annoy you or to disrupt Shakespeare’s rest.

This is actually my first LCD purchase, I am going away from a 19”(18 viewable) Ciceiro CRT monitor. I will be comparing it to that monitor as well as other LCD monitors I have around.

First thing you notice out of the box is that the screen is well wrapped and packed. The stand is very easy to attach and once that is done you are basically ready to go. The included accessories are a VGA cable, a DVI cable, a Display Port cable and a USB cable to connect to the monitor to use the card reader as well as the USB hub.

Once the monitor was plugged, the first thing that shocks me is that my CRT looks like it has totally washed out colors (makes me wonder how come I never noticed that. Having read other reviews about this monitor as well as the “Dell Color Calibration Factory Report”, I proceeded to switching the monitor to sRBG preset calibration. Being no photo editor professional, I feel like I will go the easy way and use this preset because it seems to be fairly close to reality. Based on the calibration report, the sRBG’s color of my monitor show only 5 colors with a delta E above 2 and none above 3.

In the process of changing those things, I forgot to mention about the touch buttons in the menu which people have complained about, but it adds a nice touch I find.

The monitor came with a preset brightness of 50 which I thought to be alright, more on this later.

Back to the aesthetics of the monitor, it doesn’t wobble like the HP w2408h my father uses. It tilts nicely, the pivot (left and right) is a nice function when you want to perform tests, but I don’t see myself using that function a lot once I am done taking pictures of my monitor. I must admit that even though the monitor is very good looking, I won’t be exposing pictures of it all over the place. Last and certainly not least function, the height adjustment, I find this last feature to be quite a sell point of the monitor (along with all the others), but also, it took be a bit of time to figure out how to adjust it without breaking my new toy. However, after I applied a little bit of pressure it started to move; now it is much easier to raise or lower.

The viewing angle, as shown in the pictures is simply very good despite the fact I took them at a very narrow angle, more than one would feel comfortable watching their monitor.

As for the input lag, I am not sure how much I can trust the software I used as a timer(it was OnlyStopWatch) because it gave me basically 2 results. Either there was no lag at all (0ms) or there was quite a bit (over 80ms). Anyhow, since I took many pictures knowing it shouldn’t be the same result; here are the ones I got. The camera’s shutter speed was set to 1/1000s to provide the best result and so that I can actually read what was written on the CRT.

In sRBG mode, the average input lag was of 60ms, the minimum being 0 and the other 3 variables I got were 156-157-158ms (somehow there was nothing in between).
In Game mode, the average input lag was of 25ms, the minimum being 0 and the other variable being 80-120-101(each of them appeared once).

As for the brightness, I had it set to 100 for the pictures, for better viewability, but considering how incredibly easy it was to read, I guess it was a pretty useless thing to do. Afterwards, I forgot to turn back the brightness down, it took less than 2 minutes before I was tired from the excessive brightness, so I proceeded to lower it to 30 which is the value I had elected to be appropriate for me. However, after 15 minutes of writing this review (black on white), 30 may also be too much depending on the situations, this is how bright this monitor is.

I have tried to run the “test” in DiRT 2 to see ghosting or anything, I did not put the monitor in game mode and I have not noticed any sort of problems. I will be able to say more about it as I use it more, but for now, if you have any questions or any requests, please ask them here and I will do my best to properly answer them.

Most likely on Thursday, I will be doing further testing comparing to an old Ciceiro 17in LCD monitor as well as the HP w2408h.

Deviant December 8, 2009 02:23 PM

Hehe. I think your English is just fine. Maybe articulated a little better (as in condensing your sentence fragments to single sentences) but that's not bad.

That's quite a wiring mess you got in the second picture. Anyhow, the monitor looks quite nice. Did you get it when it was $489 or around there?

Dead Things December 8, 2009 02:25 PM

Cool beans! Good work Kilauea! Nice to see it comes with a display port cable. Would be cool to hear more about how the Dell Colour Calibration thing works and how it's able to tell what its own colour deltas are.

Moar pics!

ayah December 8, 2009 03:12 PM

Thanks for the review! I've been pondering upgrading my two 2005FPWs but have been indecisive about if I wanted to fork over that much cash for new monitors.

Kilauea December 9, 2009 09:45 AM

I got the monitor when it was 479 or something.

As for the wire mess, well its not so bad, mostly the usual things connected, now that the computer and monitor parts have been addressed, the next one is the desk which would help clean up things a bit. I'm lacking a bit of room.

I am not sure how the Dell calibration works, they give u a sheet which is supposed to be a test they made on the monitor, it is not the same for all U2410 based on the other sheets I saw. They then rate the Delta E of many colors, I will scan it tonight and add it to the thread.

It is a very nice monitor, I enjoy it very much. Yesterday I got some more DiRT 2 gaming on it and I did it in sRBG mode and I haven't noticed any form of ghosting whatsoever. Depending on your purpose, I would say you are not making a mistake by ordering this monitor, for now it would be hard to point out any real things I dislike about it (Sure I dislike the input lag, but as long as its not noticeable, I don't care). The brightness of it is really something however, turning it down is a must! Also, the screen is mate which is perfect in my room, that way there is no reflection to bother me.

Dead Things December 9, 2009 01:29 PM

So true, nothing worse than a glossy screen when the only thing you can see during a dark part of a movie or game is your own ugly mug staring back at you! I made that mistake once with my first LCD purchase ('twas a 17" Acer). Never again!

Last question - can you see any colour scaling across the monitor as was reported with the Philips IPS panel (reference: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2067350)?

Kilauea December 9, 2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Things (Post 299424)
Last question - can you see any colour scaling across the monitor as was reported with the Philips IPS panel (reference: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2067350)?

I have not noticed anything worth mentioning, but pictures of colors will be coming tomorrow, until then, does anyone have requests of colors I should take ?

Mark December 9, 2009 07:45 PM

I would like a non Dell version of this monitor.

Kilauea December 9, 2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 299600)
I would like a non Dell version of this monitor.

Why is that ?

Mark December 9, 2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilauea (Post 299634)
Why is that ?

I don't like having the Dell label on my desk....it's just one of those things.:biggrin: