Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2010, 07:36 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Im also having problems with stuttering on playback of 1080p. I ripped my br using makemkv and no matter what it stutters when its playing through my PBO. I upgdraded to latest f/w (ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P05 (Only for Bootcode 18 or higher), it help somewhat to alleviate some stuttering. But it still stutters.

So i decided to connect it directly to my gigabit switch. Same thing. It stutters. Not sure if the bottleneck is the PBO wired connection and/or my home server (AMD 620 Athlon II 3.0 ghz).
Old August 23, 2010, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
Im also having problems with stuttering on playback of 1080p. I ripped my br using makemkv and no matter what it stutters when its playing through my PBO. I upgdraded to latest f/w (ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P05 (Only for Bootcode 18 or higher), it help somewhat to alleviate some stuttering. But it still stutters.

So i decided to connect it directly to my gigabit switch. Same thing. It stutters. Not sure if the bottleneck is the PBO wired connection and/or my home server (AMD 620 Athlon II 3.0 ghz).
I believe it's just the limitation of these devices, Asus O!Play, Patriot PBO, WDTV Live etc will all suffer this way. High bit rates over LAN is a no go. You can test the file directly with an external USB hard drive connected to your PBO. If the problem persists then it's something else, but I'm 99% sure it's just the limitation of these $90 devices. Gigabit LAN (client and server) might solve the problem, but I think a larger buffer will be a more universal, yet more expensive fix. (Something that next gen devices should have, more buffer, and Gigabit LAN).
Old August 30, 2010, 01:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well, i loaded the same BR movies that stutters on ext HD and connected to USB. No stuttering. AT ALL.

I agree with you, its seams like it might be the limitations of the device itself. Buffering and/or giga lan would help the device from stuttering.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:43 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolab View Post
Well, i loaded the same BR movies that stutters on ext HD and connected to USB. No stuttering. AT ALL.

I agree with you, its seams like it might be the limitations of the device itself. Buffering and/or giga lan would help the device from stuttering.

Yep,

I am not exactly sure what would solve the problem, but what stutters over a "clean" 10/100 connection to these devices, rarely stutters over wifi to my Acer Revo, and never stutters over even a moderately busy 10/100 connection.

Too bad the Revo doesn't do bit streaming of HD audio, otherwise it's close to perfect as a media player.