Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
yes I can say that about some linux users, I have used linux a few times, SuSe 9, Redhat 7 I think, Knoppix (loved that you ran it from cdrom drive) and Debian
been meaning to check out Ubuntu and if I ever get around to building my own webserver/seedbox etc I will be using Ubuntu, unfortunately going to have to brush up
on my command line stuff for linux though
You don't require command line interaction. Thats only if you want to really get into it, its doubtful you'll touch the cli.

As for your points about Mac, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the quality. Sure i love my Macbook Aluminum unibody, its great and solid, but i've work on many macs in the past (G3 clamshell ibook) and it was HELL to work on. IT was something like 56 steps to upgrade the hard drive, and thats not including putting it back together. As for their QA, theirs has sometimes been the worst in the industry. Sure its getting better but that doesn't mean its right...

And peace of mind is hardly what i feel about mac. I know in about 2 years I won't be able to upgrade to the latest OS because mine isn't 'pretty' enough to run it. Thats what happened with PPC recently, and it will happen again.

I love my macbook, I'm ok with OSX, but there isn't much more than that about it. I got a killer price (knocked off the apple tax) and thats why i have it.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old December 15, 2009, 09:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

every computer has its breaking point, now I don't fold or even know how much of system resources it uses or
anything like that but it seems that windows reaches full capacity for cpu and ram usage a lot quicker than
mac os does, I don't know why that is but when using cpu and ram intensive programs, not meaning web browsing
and watching or listening to music or tv shows or gaming (as for gaming unfortunately you can only really
play one game at a time, as gaming is both cpu, gpu, and ram intensive but not able to really stress a computer)

that is all I was meaning basically Windows has bad system resource allocation which causes errors, bsod, system
freezes. where as with mac os it handles the system resources a lot better so you can utilize more high system usage
programs at a time. hopefully that makes sense, kinda falling asleep at the keyboard.

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w
Old December 15, 2009, 09:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
You don't require command line interaction. Thats only if you want to really get into it, its doubtful you'll touch the cli.

As for your points about Mac, I'm afraid I have to disagree with the quality. Sure i love my Macbook Aluminum unibody, its great and solid, but i've work on many macs in the past (G3 clamshell ibook) and it was HELL to work on. IT was something like 56 steps to upgrade the hard drive, and thats not including putting it back together. As for their QA, theirs has sometimes been the worst in the industry. Sure its getting better but that doesn't mean its right...

And peace of mind is hardly what i feel about mac. I know in about 2 years I won't be able to upgrade to the latest OS because mine isn't 'pretty' enough to run it. Thats what happened with PPC recently, and it will happen again.

I love my macbook, I'm ok with OSX, but there isn't much more than that about it. I got a killer price (knocked off the apple tax) and thats why i have it.
yeah working on macs is a pain in the butt, but it is possible if something goes wrong just, its just something the standard user can't do like you can with PC's. And yes huge huge p.i.t.a to work on are macs.

ps check out apple's refurbished store sometimes you can save up to $700 on a refurbished mac which are usually systems off lease or returns for various reasons.

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (Canada)

it changes hourly somedays, basically as they get new stuff in it updates, so what isn't there in the morning could be there in the afternoon or evening

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w
Old December 15, 2009, 10:55 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
for example on my mac I can have flash, dreamweaver, photoshop and illustrator all open up at one time working between all of them without a hiccup
with only have 2 gigs of ram, now doing that on a pc unfortunately cause hang ups and malfunctions galore and even the odd BSOD ........)
you can run 4 app on a single computer ? and no crash . I'm speechless.
Old December 16, 2009, 06:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the fact is with only 2gigs of Ram and doing this on a PC causes hang ups, all I was pointing out was that Mac OS has better system resource allocation
windows any version of windows seems to have issues with system resource allocation which causes freezes and hang ups when trying to do multiple different
things.

and I am not only having 4 of those apps running at the same but you switch between them, meaning that you create an item in one and import it into another
to use it, but you can edit it in its original program and the changes automatically take effect on the imported version in the other program
this works great on the macs and not so great on the pc's.

all I really pointed out is that for some reason with less system resources you can do more on a mac than you can with a pc.

Old December 16, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
yeah working on macs is a pain in the butt, but it is possible if something goes wrong just, its just something the standard user can't do like you can with PC's. And yes huge huge p.i.t.a to work on are macs.

ps check out apple's refurbished store sometimes you can save up to $700 on a refurbished mac which are usually systems off lease or returns for various reasons.

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (Canada)

it changes hourly somedays, basically as they get new stuff in it updates, so what isn't there in the morning could be there in the afternoon or evening
Yeah I got a good deal on this baby. It was brand spanking new, got double the ram I ordered, and I didn't spend more than the computer was ACTUALLY worth...

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old December 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
for example on my mac I can have flash, dreamweaver, photoshop and illustrator all open up at one time working between all of them without a hiccup
with only have 2 gigs of ram, now doing that on a pc unfortunately cause hang ups and malfunctions galore and even the odd BSOD (no BSOD since Windows 7 though, but still can't use all of those
at the same time) now to utilize those programs fully on a PC you really need 4 gigs of ram (which is normally standard on most now) but honestly they work a lot better with 6 - 12gigs of ram.
now a mac with 12 gigs of ram is going to be amazing with those programs (unfortunately on a mac 12 gigs of ram isn't cost effective yet, but should be in the future as prices are dropping on
a regular basis)
Sounds like your PC needs an upgrade...and allocate more space for page file.
Old December 21, 2009, 08:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

my page file is set to 4 gigs so nope not the problem and as for hardware upgrades, my system specs are in my signature which is more than enough hardware to run those programs simultaneously Windows just doesn't do it, and it is not just my computer multiple design firms and schools all have the same issue which is why Mac's are the computer choice for designing

Old December 21, 2009, 08:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
..... simultaneously Windows just doesn't do it, and it is not just my computer multiple design firms and schools all have the same issue which is why Mac's are the computer choice for designing

i don't care about your BS with scholl, firm and computer store ,

but in your book that all my PC here can handle your software, an non of them experience BSOD. remove the garbage you download for free and your computer will run better.
Old December 21, 2009, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

According to that I wont be abble to do multiple hard task at the same time but...I fold on CPU and GPU + rip a DVD at the same time or play a game or use Photoshop + listening to movie. My CPU is always 100% load and seriously I never get BSOD even under XP or vista. Personally, I more think that BSOD are coming from USER or defective part, not from software related. BSOD due to crappy software or cracked one are caused by USER in my book. At my last job ( previous to my actual ) I have been working with MAC many time installing OS X ( upgrade from the previous mac OS ) and I remember a wierd blue screen that would happen during the update. Only way to repair it was to shut down via power button and start again. Some time a disk format was needed ( but only in few wierd case ). This is what the blue screen was looking and a related article. You can find info about it also on the Apple website. I don't want to bash PC or Apple here, the point I am trying to say is that anything that is OS working can drop. Mac or PC. And according to the number of mac VS pc I have sell in my life, the return rate are mostly the same. But repair a mac is a mess...Like repair any laptop (mac or PC)

http://ingenius.files.wordpress.com/...n-of-death.jpg
Google Image Result for http://ingenius.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/mac-blue-screen-of-death.jpg

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||