Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking of picking up a Macbook myself, but I want a little more power, so the HP Envy 15 could be the one I get. That is, if this interview process goes through...
Old November 8, 2009, 08:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Thats correct Mac OS X Snow Leopard + iLife 09 and added iWork 09 today.
thats a great setup.. snow leopard is an amazing OS and works well with computers.. if you highlight something or a bunch of things and hit the space bar it opens them in quick view so you don't have to start any unnecessary processes to just see what a file is.. and when you zoom in on icons you can play music and videos inside the icons.. :-P
Old November 8, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am the only one remembering in the 90's that microsoft was giving money to apple because Microsoft was needed competition to not have the anti-trust law in the ass??? hahaha:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 8, 2009, 09:41 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I am the only one remembering in the 90's that microsoft was giving money to apple because Microsoft was needed competition to not have the anti-trust law in the ass??? hahaha:)
I remember that

I also note that since Steve Jobs has come back, he has taken a 5 billion $ company and is now worth 100 billion $. The continued success will probably be with more innovations with iPod and iPhone.
Old November 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that's going to slow...

Apple is having a TON of growing pains right now.

Bad QA, bad programming, bad advertising, and bad practices in general are starting to catch up.

The apple forums are on fire with people complaining about damn near everything and anything.
Old November 8, 2009, 02:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I think that's going to slow...

Apple is having a TON of growing pains right now.

Bad QA, bad programming, bad advertising, and bad practices in general are starting to catch up.

The apple forums are on fire with people complaining about damn near everything and anything.
my macbook is 4 years old and i don't have a single complaint.. works better than any computer i have ever had or built... im currently running snow leopard and the performance is amazing.. lol... my dad has a macbook pro with 4GB of ram and a 250GB HD.. its pretty sweet.. and it runs fast
Old November 8, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well...

not to be judgemental... but your account shows that you use AOL instant messenger, and you and your dad both use Mac.

That generally does not bode well for anything other than PEBKAC issues.

Regardless of your experiences with Mac it doesn't change what thousands of other users have gone through.

Simply by accidently logging into your guest account, logging out, then logging into your own account ACTUALLY DELETES YOUR ACCOUNT on fresh install or upgrade of Snow Leopard. There are many more.

How is that better than PC? Are we going to see a Mac commercial where they point that out?

The new Mac laptops that average 7 hours battery life..... not one person can actually use the computer and get over 4.5 hours....? Why?

Is this thinking different?
Old November 8, 2009, 05:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow Can't sneeze without pheming on zealots.

If the fact that an OS has problems puts it out of the running for you I guess you don't use any at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
The new Mac laptops that average 7 hours battery life..... not one person can actually use the computer and get over 4.5 hours....? Why?

Is this thinking different?
Wow. Now you are really reaching. No laptop manufacturer ever lives up to the advertised battery life. Since you are obviously just trying to justify your prejudices it is not surprising you are trying to rain on the parade.
Old November 8, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't care that an OS has problems. Every OS does.

However, when one claims that it is superior in every way, and it's got a crowd of PEBCAK users following it and *even* looking down their noses at you because you run a "Windoze" box I suddenly start to point out the hypocrasies. Because of this people accuse me of trying to "fit in" and that I'm trying to be "fashionable" by hating Macs.

No. I actually have an opinion of my own and I don't need to buy a Mac to "fit in".

I'm not "really reaching". I just thought I would throw in a couple of examples. I could dig up much more if you like. I'd start my own thread and update it everytime I see a new screwup by people who make a computer that "just works".

Anyway, not really trying to rain on anybody's parade here. I can actually relate to the OP as well because I've tried many different OS/computers in my time. I too started with Vic20, and even as much as 2 years ago was betatesting AmigaOS4.x
Old November 9, 2009, 07:22 AM
MVP
F@H

I just folded and bought my first macbook. I've been a hardcore user for years.

When it comes to OS. W7 and SL are on par. Both have their pros and cons and honestly I like both and will definitely be dual booting the macbook. When it comes to hardware the macbook is hands down the best laptop I've ever used.

The battery is better than 7 hours when you turn everything off / low (which you have to do with any laptop to come close to manf. estimates). I can get between 7.5 - 8hrs. With wireless, screen on highest brightness and watching a move I get between 3-4.5 hours of life which is better than the HP, Dell and Acer I've used.

The keyboard on the macbook is also the best I've ever used. The keys are so crisp and programming on it is an absolute dream. That being said, I don't really like the trackpad. I have the new one so the button is integrated, and its a nice concept but fails for me. The multitouch is also a little annoying, I always find myself changing the text in FF or doing other annoying things.

Overall I'm extremely happy.

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30