Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2010, 07:04 PM
yamawho's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rosemere, Qc, Canada
Posts: 860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
A thing is sure here, you won't regret buying it
So far so good ...

It's been a while for the printer but this is what I needed to do and got it working ...

The m2300w package contains universal binaries that will work on either PowerPC or Intel Macs. m2300w is an open-source printer driver for Ghostscript supporting the 2300W and 2400W Konica Minolta color laser printers. On Mac OS X Jaguar and later, printing with m2300w requires Foomatic-RIP (a CUPS filter script) and Ghostscript (an open-source PostScript interpreter), and a foomatic PPD for each supported printer. The foomatic PPDs are included in the installation package.

Followed the steps and it worked the 1st shot.
Reply With Quote
  #132 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,049

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
not to start an argument but i strongly disagree... i haven't been able to get a virus on any mac i have ever owned... unless your streaming massive porn you won't get any.. :-) ..and not any flaws that i have noticed.. i think the OS is pretty good.. only takes like 5GB to install on an HD and uses very few resources.
I could say the exact same thing of my Windows install, except I stream a massive amount of pr0n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
If you want to start bashing OSX, please read this before I start naming again -why- OSX is good. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ion-vista.html
End of page one until page 7.
I wouldn't necessarily link back to that as "proof". All that happened there is that you made a link of why Microsoft sucks and I picked apart all your arguments until you really didn't have much of anything to stand on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
And sincerely, if you think that Apple offer 'old' parts, you sir don't have a clue about it. Most of last year's xserve had xeon chips that were not even available on the market if I can give an example for devellopers to work with and to compile with. (though there's a NDA on that)
Hmmm, look at those prices! Xserve - Apple Store (Canada)

I'd buy a poweredge over an Xserve in no time. The Xserves aren't bad hardware don't get me wrong, but ffs, they start at $3500 and don't even have hardware raid.... and come with a 160gb 7200rpm drive. That's criminal.

An HP Blade server would be nice, too. Compare the R905 server from Dell. It destroys the Xserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
For the 'consumer' grade products, when new model get released they usually have one of the latest hardware possible inside.
The Mac Mini refresh sure as hell wasn't state of the art 6 months ago. Neither was the iMac refresh. It got a speed bump, but it still doesn't start at an I5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
iirc emulating the EFI chip in order to be able to install OSX on a PC with a piece of software is considered illegal
Apple doesn't want to sell an OS, they want to sell a machine to lock you into that OS. They use methods to make the OS uninstallable on regular PCs on purpose.

Maybe this won't make me popular, but WHO CARES what Apple thinks is illegal or not. I certainly don't. If you took your MacOS X from your Mac Mini and wanted to install it on a Hackintosh you should damn well be able to.

Last edited by Perineum; January 14, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #133 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2010, 08:58 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,954

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Well there have been court cases where companies selling clones, Psystar I think, were fined 2.7 million for selling under 800 Mac clones last December.

I started this thread as a rally point for the few Mac users that are on this forum.

As one member mentioned in this or another thread a while ago, he felt mac users were feeling superior ... I don't know about that, I'm feeling disappointed
It is illegal to sell a hackintosh but not to build yourself one.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
  #134 (permalink)  
Old January 14, 2010, 09:27 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I wouldn't necessarily link back to that as "proof". All that happened there is that you made a link of why Microsoft sucks and I picked apart all your arguments until you really didn't have much of anything to stand on.
Yes Wikipedia... yes... just go read the last 2 pages of that thread because I'm clearly not going to repeat myself ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Hmmm, look at those prices! Xserve - Apple Store (Canada)

I'd buy a poweredge over an Xserve in no time. The Xserves aren't bad hardware don't get me wrong, but ffs, they start at $3500 and don't even have hardware raid.... and come with a 160gb 7200rpm drive. That's criminal.

An HP Blade server would be nice, too. Compare the R905 server from Dell. It destroys the Xserve.
I'm sure you have the deal for the developer. I'm SURE about that I'm SURE they pay that price when they need 5-6-700 of them to compile huge programs

Sorry man it's not on Wikipedia so you couldn't check the facts before saying anything

And to tell you, the ones listed are not even the best version they have... the one they have right now for developer you will maybe see them in 2 years off the shelf... and that was about a year ago that the devs could have a hand on them. Good job le grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
The Mac Mini refresh sure as hell wasn't state of the art 6 months ago. Neither was the iMac refresh. It got a speed bump, but it still doesn't start at an I5.
I understand what you are saying, but the goal of a mini is not to give the end user the most powerful machine there is on the market. It provides a small footprint machine with a dual core and plenty of speed for a normal desktop.
If you want something better, well you have to pick the bigger and more expensive model as I wrote last page.
If you lil hardware geniuses could slap a computer together with your spare time, don't you think a big company like apple know what they are doing and could build one machine with all the latest part on the market? It's not in their company's plan and that's it. Get over it, you don't like it don't buy one and continue to tell people who have them to go screw themselves (at least that would have been from you and not wikipedia )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
They use methods to make the OS uninstallable on regular PCs on purpose.


Encore good job la dessus le grand Continue to stay in your lil bubble and have fun thinking that

And to stay with what the OP said, I don't want to crap his whole thread and I've had enough of the last thread because it wouldn't have finished ever... so I'm no longer replying to you on that. You have 7 pages of stuff + this page to talk to yourself without me needing to point out what I think of what you write. (just keep telling yourself than any monkey with basic motor skill and a mouse could argue for days with you using the same tactics as you do ;) )
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #135 (permalink)  
Old January 15, 2010, 12:31 AM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,049

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Yes Wikipedia... yes... just go read the last 2 pages of that thread because I'm clearly not going to repeat myself ;)
I read all that crap when I wrote replies to it that ended that conversation. I'm not interested in your opinion, just facts. When you keep spewing your opinion over and over again I lose interest.

I know you're new here, but arguing for the mere sake of arguing isn't "winning".

I don't hate Apple, I'm just not "in tune" with their products because of my experience with computers. You however, would like "Death for Microsoft", not that you could write ANYTHING BETTER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I'm sure you have the deal for the developer. I'm SURE about that I'm SURE they pay that price when they need 5-6-700 of them to compile huge programs
Yup, they'd be cheaper I bet... good point. Actually they'd still be cheaper and more powerful from Dell or HP. Whoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Sorry man it's not on Wikipedia so you couldn't check the facts before saying anything
Well I suppose you win with your PhD in Bovine Scatology, yes? My opinion backed up with links to prove facts that are the basis of my opinion only mean that you can use that to try and ridicule me.

I really don't care, m1dget. Grow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
And to tell you, the ones listed are not even the best version they have... the one they have right now for developer you will maybe see them in 2 years off the shelf... and that was about a year ago that the devs could have a hand on them. Good job le grand
Yes, I'm sure Apple is the ONLY developer that does that. Now that you mention it I'm positive that Dell and HP have absolutely NOTHING NEW in the pipeline! How does Apple do it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I understand what you are saying, but the goal of a mini is not to give the end user the most powerful machine there is on the market. It provides a small footprint machine with a dual core and plenty of speed for a normal desktop. If you want something better, well you have to pick the bigger and more expensive model as I wrote last page.
Ah, perhaps that's why I mentioned the iMac refresh as well? Do you actually READ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
If you lil hardware geniuses could slap a computer together with your spare time, don't you think a big company like apple know what they are doing and could build one machine with all the latest part on the market? It's not in their company's plan and that's it. Get over it, you don't like it don't buy one and continue to tell people who have them to go screw themselves (at least that would have been from you and not wikipedia )
You're absolutely right. Apple could do that, but they won't. They'll take last years hardware, build a machine and then charge twice what they should.... and then a bunch of CLONES like yourself will claim it's better than any PC because it's made by Apple. Why? They don't know for certain, but it must be better quality (proven otherwise), better components (proven otherwise), or just ingenious marketing! (BINGO!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Encore good job la dessus le grand Continue to stay in your lil bubble and have fun thinking that
I don't live in a bubble. I use more operating systems than you do, have more experience with any of them than you do, and know what systems I would use for what and where. I know the virtues of the Mac, I just don't think I need to give St3ve J0bs a blowjob every time I hear a "new" (outdated, expensive) iMac comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
And to stay with what the OP said, I don't want to crap his whole thread and I've had enough of the last thread because it wouldn't have finished ever... so I'm no longer replying to you on that. You have 7 pages of stuff + this page to talk to yourself without me needing to point out what I think of what you write. (just keep telling yourself than any monkey with basic motor skill and a mouse could argue for days with you using the same tactics as you do ;) )
Are you mental? Your tactic is even WORSE! Your method involves giving just your opinion with no facts or proof of any concept.... to which I'm supposed to reply with my opinion. Are we supposed to smoke cigars and drink dom perignon while debating the finer points of computing? No thanks. That kind of discussion will never end.

You stated "Windows sucks because NTFS sucks. Ergo Mac is better" To which I replied how much HFS sucks, everyone says it sucks, LINUS TORVALDS says it sucks, my mom says it sucks, etc etc. I provided you links. I then EDUCATED you on the merits of NTFS over HFS to which you had no real reply.

That was an end to a debate. That's how you do it.

Thanks for playing though!
Reply With Quote
  #136 (permalink)  
Old January 15, 2010, 02:01 AM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

What I am trying to prove to you here is that arguing like you do over the Internet is pointless unless someone asks a question and needs a very precise and concrete answer.

For example, even if I have no geological knowledge at all, I could go register today in a geology forum and start arguing pretty easily with someone who has a PHD in geology just because I have an infinite source of knowledge waiting at the other end of the wire, which is not -my- knowledge, but 'temporary' knowledge accessible to my needs since I would have no idea of what the hell I would be talking about. I wouldn't have earned that knowledge, I would have merely understood a percent of a concept that could take books to understand and I would have written it in a way that it would be coming from me and not from a site like wikipedia simply for the sake of throwing arguments on the table and look intelligent...
The guy at the other end of the wire could dig in his own earned knowledge without needing any help from external resources and continue the conversation with counter arguments to my post, but if I would have the will and patience to do so, I could drive him at a point where he would be out of ideas and knowledge for the specific subject we would be conversing about. After if I follow your trend, I could start insulting him and saying that he doesn't know what he is talking about since I would always have the "smart reasoned backed-up by facts" answer that obviously wouldn't be from me, but as I said, from a site such as wikipedia.

This kind of conversation is about as interesting as seeing IRC bots caught in a loop of automatic messages between each other. If that is your ideal of a thread conversation where opinions differ, well you will end up talking to another person like you just googleing everything and writing something he might not even understand himself; you will end up having the impression of talking to a bot.

I see that you made a comment about me being new here, but be sure that I'm not new at all in computer related forums, I must have over 10000 posts scattered around 5 different forums, I'm not new to the concept of being in a forum. Though I must admin that I have a slightly different way of conversing in forums; if I have to post in a forum it's for relaxing and getting my mind off programming or reading a book and having a bit of fun at the same time. So the last thing I want and seek when I slip in a thread is one of those generic wikipedia fueled "intelligent" arguer who either have really nothing else to do with their lives or manage to get a thrill off arguing like that with normal people. I prefer a conversation like I would have if I was with my friends talking about any computer subject. Something calm based on aquired knowledge and exchange of known information than exact specific knowledge taken on wikipedia to stab the other guy in the back. Heck I wouldn't see myself going to search something on google to throw a counter argument in the face of one of my friend not to prove that I am right, but that HE is wrong. I occasionally read a man page or have a quick look at wikipedia if he is talking about something interesting, but that's about it. Finding something on wiki then having that as your post may prove that the other is wrong, but in no way would prove that you are right... and sincerely I think it's just ridiculous to do that. It kills the good spirit of a friendly forum, it's more annoying than anything and frankly it's not yahoo answers but a computer forum we are on right now.
You might like it and I respect that, but I don't.

As I said a few times here, I enjoy being here and even conversing with you even if it may not seem that way, but I will stay far from big never ending argument like the last one for sure. I may jump in a few to throw in my opinion (like this one) but don't expect me arguing much about either things I don't know well or if I see a thread turning into something I dislike.

I tried to write as well as I could in english this time so you and anybody else can understand me perfectly :)
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #137 (permalink)  
Old January 15, 2010, 03:16 AM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,049

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
What I am trying to prove to you here is that arguing like you do over the Internet is pointless unless someone asks a question and needs a very precise and concrete answer.
... or when you feel the need to correct someone (that's you) who is spreading FUD. When I correct someone I generally like to provide examples of why I have bothered to correct them in the first place.

Now, your method of arguing is that you like blue, and I like red. We could go on all year about the merits of blue and red, and get absolutely no where. I don't have that kind of time or patience to have that kind of conversation with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
For example, even if I have no geological knowledge at all, I could go register today in a geology forum and start arguing pretty easily with someone who has a PHD in geology just because I have an infinite source of knowledge waiting at the other end of the wire, which is not -my- knowledge, but 'temporary' knowledge accessible to my needs since I would have no idea of what the hell I would be talking about. I wouldn't have earned that knowledge, I would have merely understood a percent of a concept that could take books to understand and I would have written it in a way that it would be coming from me and not from a site like wikipedia simply for the sake of throwing arguments on the table and look intelligent...
The guy at the other end of the wire could dig in his own earned knowledge without needing any help from external resources and continue the conversation with counter arguments to my post, but if I would have the will and patience to do so, I could drive him at a point where he would be out of ideas and knowledge for the specific subject we would be conversing about. After if I follow your trend, I could start insulting him and saying that he doesn't know what he is talking about since I would always have the "smart reasoned backed-up by facts" answer that obviously wouldn't be from me, but as I said, from a site such as wikipedia.
You see, this is where you shit the bed. I'm Apple certified. I'm willing to bet that you aren't. I admin these machines, over a WAN, mixing multiple OSs. I tried to explain that to you.

So using your own example, I'm the PhD arguing against the unknowledgable kid who keeps using wikipedia, except you don't even do that, which in the very least would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
This kind of conversation is about as interesting as seeing IRC bots caught in a loop of automatic messages between each other. If that is your ideal of a thread conversation where opinions differ, well you will end up talking to another person like you just googleing everything and writing something he might not even understand himself; you will end up having the impression of talking to a bot.
Ah, except that when the person sends me a google/wikipedia/whatever link with the information that he thinks backs his story (but he doesn't understand) I will then turn that around on him and EDUCATE him. He should then be reasonable enough to stop arguing for the sake of arguing and then think about it and maybe rethink his or her position on that subject.

It's happened to me in the past when I questioned a move made by Commodore designers. Dave Haynie himself berated me and I was forced to see why they did what they did..... and they were right - and I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I see that you made a comment about me being new here, but be sure that I'm not new at all in computer related forums, I must have over 10000 posts scattered around 5 different forums, I'm not new to the concept of being in a forum. Though I must admin that I have a slightly different way of conversing in forums; if I have to post in a forum it's for relaxing and getting my mind off programming or reading a book and having a bit of fun at the same time. So the last thing I want and seek when I slip in a thread is one of those generic wikipedia fueled "intelligent" arguer who either have really nothing else to do with their lives or manage to get a thrill off arguing like that with normal people. I prefer a conversation like I would have if I was with my friends talking about any computer subject. Something calm based on aquired knowledge and exchange of known information than exact specific knowledge taken on wikipedia to stab the other guy in the back. Heck I wouldn't see myself going to search something on google to throw a counter argument in the face of one of my friend not to prove that I am right, but that HE is wrong. I occasionally read a man page or have a quick look at wikipedia if he is talking about something interesting, but that's about it. Finding something on wiki then having that as your post may prove that the other is wrong, but in no way would prove that you are right... and sincerely I think it's just ridiculous to do that. It kills the good spirit of a friendly forum, it's more annoying than anything and frankly it's not yahoo answers but a computer forum we are on right now.
You might like it and I respect that, but I don't.
You've been making comments from almost the beginning saying that I'm only "intelligent" because I google/wikipedia my subjects. It's actually been rather derogatory. I have TRIED IN VAIN to explain to you that this is not the case, I work with these systems daily in ways that most people don't. I'm not saying I'm the only administrator of a large WAN in the world, just to be clear. I'm just saying that in the subject we are dealing with right now I have a good solid working knowledge of.

It's hard for me to sit here and have you just randomly spout FUD while having nothing to back up your claims. I sincerely don't give a shit about your opinion, sorry

On the other hand, I feel like a complete dick for actually "whipping out my epeen" to compare certs, but honestly, you're not leaving me much of a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
As I said a few times here, I enjoy being here and even conversing with you even if it may not seem that way, but I will stay far from big never ending argument like the last one for sure. I may jump in a few to throw in my opinion (like this one) but don't expect me arguing much about either things I don't know well or if I see a thread turning into something I dislike.
I have a feeling you're going to be meeting a lot of the knowledgeable people (of which we have many) on here in negative ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I tried to write as well as I could in english this time so you and anybody else can understand me perfectly :)
I think I'm following your english quite fine, just not you...

Again, for the record books, if you read nothing then read this:

I don't hate Macs. They just aren't for me. The obnoxious users are what piss me off the most. A computer is a computer. If all you do is browse the web and email then the OS you use SHOULD NOT MATTER TO YOU!!!

It's a computer, not a religion. Don't make it that way.
Reply With Quote
  #138 (permalink)  
Old January 15, 2010, 03:40 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton Ab
Posts: 470

My System Specs

Default

I wish I could quote all that in my signature.. I was so.. so.. majestic and awe inspiring.. I think i love you Perineum..
__________________
Death to Apple
Reply With Quote
  #139 (permalink)  
Old January 15, 2010, 03:00 PM
m1dget's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Terrebonne, Qc
Posts: 707

My System Specs

Default

I perfectly understand all of your points be sure of that. Though I don't like very much when someone is using my own arguments and just tries to reverse them against me but I don't mind I still understand your/my own point against myself (?) o.O
We are not two 8 yrs old having a fight over something retarded and throwing the old "no, you are the blablabla...", it's not pleasant to witness that and I surely don't want to see that when I'm talking to someone on a forum.

For the wikipedia and googled stuff, I don't mean to insult you, I just find weird that almost everytime I popped out an argument, let say about the scheduler, that instead of having the conversation oriented towards that thing in particular your argument was something like you had a very specific example about something that wasn't quite exactly the exact subject of the conversation (though that could have been if we were talking about that specifically).
I mean for everything I said you had almost always a negative example to give that was a bit random. Yes it was a negative point of OSX, but not really on the exact subject of the conversation... like if it was the first thing that came up to you when you would have googled it. That's why I was saying that. It was more of a comment than of something to insult you.

Again, for the third or fourth time, I don't have a Mac and I'm not in that macwold kind of crazy sect thing
Most of my unix background was acquired with BSD books and OS that I screwed around with (which is about any big BSD and sysV that I can think of) and my death to microsoft comes from the fact that I prefer unix over anything else and, well, that I profoundly hate microsoft.

For when you say that you worked with them on a daily basis, be sure that I have no problem understanding it.

For all the certification, you didn't have to tell me about it. You seem pretty well documented about most of the things we talked about OS in general (while I still maintain my opinion above). If I may do the same as you, I don't have any certification as you guessed (I'm still pretty young in that industry), but I gained quite a lot of knowledge through books. I won't name which and how many since that would be an attempt to use my background to add some weights to my argument and that wouldn't be very relevant to the current conversation.


Though I'm very curious of what you had to do haynie... did you actually worked with that guy? o_O
__________________
"NIX is a classic example of security through obscurity because there is no real monetary reward for crackers and hackers to break Linix" -AkG
Reply With Quote
  #140 (permalink)  
Old January 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 95
Talking 0wned

I don't know why you keep arguing with Perineum, he's owning you with every reply.

I'm sure whatever community college you're going to is teaching you a lot of new stuff in your first year, but you're so outclassed I actually feel sorry for you reading your messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
I perfectly understand all of your points be sure of that. Though I don't like very much when someone is using my own arguments and just tries to reverse them against me but I don't mind I still understand your/my own point against myself (?) o.O
We are not two 8 yrs old having a fight over something retarded and throwing the old "no, you are the blablabla...", it's not pleasant to witness that and I surely don't want to see that when I'm talking to someone on a forum.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best Mac vs PC Yet 3 of 7 Off Topic 24 January 17, 2010 08:38 PM
Just purchased a refurbrished 4870 x2 ToXic Video Cards 7 August 10, 2009 05:19 PM
Have you purchased an EPSON product with a mail-in rebate recently, READ HERE DarKStar Off Topic 4 November 27, 2008 08:25 PM
Does anyone here have a Mac? qwerty Off Topic 31 November 15, 2007 10:59 PM
1st Allstar! Patriote Off Topic 0 May 22, 2007 12:38 AM