Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Your example is an illegal activity ... no apology needed.
so is my hackintosh example...
Old January 14, 2010, 04:13 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
so is my hackintosh example...
Doesn't make it less illegal now does it ...
Old January 14, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is not illegal to build your own hackintosh for personal use as long as you don't sell it as far as I know.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 14, 2010, 04:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

iirc emulating the EFI chip in order to be able to install OSX on a PC with a piece of software is considered illegal

I didn't verify or took time to read the exact clause about it though.
Old January 14, 2010, 04:36 PM
Allstar

Well there have been court cases where companies selling clones, Psystar I think, were fined 2.7 million for selling under 800 Mac clones last December.

I started this thread as a rally point for the few Mac users that are on this forum.

As one member mentioned in this or another thread a while ago, he felt mac users were feeling superior ... I don't know about that, I'm feeling disappointed
Old January 14, 2010, 04:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

...and why exactly are you disappointed?
Old January 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
Allstar

I expected more constructive feedback, not a crapfest.
Old January 14, 2010, 05:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ah, you mean from that thread :P

For the records, I don't have a Mac, I just happen to be well documented about them :)

And seriously, what did you really expect from that thread? You're in a hardware forum with like 95% who maybe didn't a touch a Mac for an extensive period of time in their life
Old January 14, 2010, 05:02 PM
Allstar

I was hoping to hear from the 5% that do ...
Old January 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Finally did it ... bought my first Mac

Mac mini
2.26GHz : 160GB
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory - 1066MHz frontside bus
160GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard + iLife

Mac mini - Apple Store (Canada)

Free shipping and it arrived in 3 days from Markham Ont.

This is the first system I purchased complete(besides netbooks) since 2001.

I've been keeping an eye out and almost got a used one a few times but since Apple launched the upgraded models and lowered the price from 739$ to 649$, I figured the time was right.

I became interested a while back when I discovered the OS has a Unix base ** very similar to Linux. I have been using various linux distros for years, at home I basically use linux except when gaming. However, I'm not much of a gamer, still playing FarCry2 for the 3rd time, and have decided I need to do something with all the family photos and movies we have accumulated.

Getting it going was quite painless until it came to finding a printer the OS would recognize.
I had an HP Deskjet 940c which seems to be recognized by every OS on earth but the ink has dried out and the replacement ink costs more than buying a new printer. Anyways, surrounded by 5 printers I discovered open source Linux / OSX drivers for my Konica Minolta 2400W laser color printer which has been sitting unused with almost full cartridges for over a year.

I also put a 500GB HDD in an inclosure, formated it HFS+ extended and started to use Time Machine.

I also had no issues connecting to my home network ... hassle free like in Linux.

I used an LG W2243T LCD at 1920 x 1080, a old Compaq usb keyboard and a MS usb mouse.

At this point I'm pondering selling my gaming PC since I don't plan on using it ...

Amd Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition X3 2.8Ghz running at 3.5Ghz
Asus mobo M3N78-VM
4 x 1 GB OCZ DDR2800 ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 260 Superclocked 896MB (not core 216)
Antec black P180B
OCZ 700 watt psu

In 1997, Apple Computer sought out a new foundation for its Macintosh operating system and chose NEXTSTEP, an operating system developed by NeXT. The core operating system, which was based on BSD and the Mach kernel, was renamed Darwin after Apple acquired it. The deployment of Darwin in Mac OS X makes it, according to a statement made by an Apple employee at a USENIX conference, the most widely used Unix-based system in the desktop computer market.

More from Wikipedia here ...
Unix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I may not have one, but here's my opinion on it :)

As for you, a while ago I became more interested too in OSX when I knew there it was running on 'some kind of unix', and became very interested when I knew it was running on a modified version of the FreeBSD kernel and was fully POSIX compliant.
My "Mac sux lulz n00b" days were over... and gawd was it time

If I had a bit more money to spend on hardware, I would get a macbook for college, but that would break my near 0 budget for new things... so no OSX, xcode and 8 hour battery life

Time machine is amazing for desktop backup... instead of having to screw around with filesystem flags and dump for backing up or just cp -r whatever needs to be backed up, that thing is a one button click and backup done

For the printer... did you try having it recognize the printer via bonjour or with cups? I wouldn't see why you would have troubles, this program is amazing to recongnize anything fast on the network o.O

A thing is sure here, you won't regret buying it