Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2009, 08:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

lets just face the facts that the PC vs MAC arguement will never be won by either side
all I was doing was pointing out an issue I personally have found in a windows environment
that a mac environment doesn't have
and most MAC's that get returned around here are because people are buying them that
have never used them before and instead of learning the in's and out's of the OS they give
up and go back to what they are comfortable with. now that is around here in Manitoba
how it is in other parts of the country I can't say as well I haven't lived anywhere else in the last 10 years.

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w
Old December 22, 2009, 02:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This is funny to watch. I have a question. can you overclock a Mac? and why is the equivalent hardware always more expensive for a mac then it is for a PC?
Old December 22, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently it's "quality" but in reality it isn't..... just Apple Tax.
Old December 22, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have read through this entire thread and enjoyed every minute of it! Thanks guys for the laughs, although I must express my sympathy for the poor OP whose thread was jacked so righteously.

I do not really want to weigh in here too much. If you know me, you'll know the reasons why I am not a Mac user. But I will say this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
for example on my mac I can have flash, dreamweaver, photoshop and illustrator all open up at one time working between all of them without a hiccup
with only have 2 gigs of ram, now doing that on a pc unfortunately cause hang ups and malfunctions galore and even the odd BSOD
None of my PC's BSOD or hang up or malfunction galore unless a part goes bad. Not even my work computer, which is a wholly underpowered AMD X2 lappy with 1GB of RAM running Vista Pro (while much slower than I would like for the work I do, this little guy certainly does take a lickin' and keep on tickin').

My point is simply to reiterate what was stated earlier: outside of hardware problems (which are universal) BSODs are probably in the 90-95% range due to PEBKAC. Ditto for viruses.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 11, 2010, 05:57 PM
Allstar

I was so inspired by all the positive comments in this thread that I decided to buy a 2nd one.

Mac Mini Specs:
Intel 1.83Ghz Core Duo
80GB Hard Drive
2GB Ram DDR2 667 mhz
Airport
Bluetooth
DVD Superdrive
Intel GMA950 Graphics Card

Mac mini "Core Duo" 1.83 Specs (Late 2006, MA608LL/A, A1176, Macmini1,1) @ EveryMac.com

I purchased this one used over the weekend and it's got a new install of Snow Leopard

Since the install of the OS including iLife and iWork take about 10GB with all the updates, I am considering either upgrading the internal hdd to a 320 or 500GB or getting another external firewire hdd 1TB. Decisions decisions ...
Old January 11, 2010, 06:01 PM
Banned
F@H

Mine will be deliver soon.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
Allstar

Can't do much with only one so I decided to get two so I can play around a bit...

That and the fact since I got it the family is all over it ... need to stand in line to use it

I was thinking of getting another one of these ...
MiniMax Desktop Hard Drive MiniMax External Hard Drive: Iomega MiniMax Hard Drives

Works good but the unit does not turn off by it self but has an on/off switch.
It also uses firewire 400 and not the 800 but I picked up an adaptor 400 to 800 for 10$.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:17 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
That and the fact since I got it the family is all over it ... need to stand in line to use it

believe me no one wait in line here.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:28 PM
Allstar

I have always given them the choice ... windows, linux and now mac.

Interested to see how the mac will be used ...

My daughter already has dibs to do her video projects with iMovie 09 for school due at the end of the month.

Need to sell more stuff to pay the the new mac ...
Old January 12, 2010, 09:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintank View Post
the fact is with only 2gigs of Ram and doing this on a PC causes hang ups, all I was pointing out was that Mac OS has better system resource allocation
windows any version of windows seems to have issues with system resource allocation which causes freezes and hang ups when trying to do multiple different
things.

and I am not only having 4 of those apps running at the same but you switch between them, meaning that you create an item in one and import it into another
to use it, but you can edit it in its original program and the changes automatically take effect on the imported version in the other program
this works great on the macs and not so great on the pc's.

all I really pointed out is that for some reason with less system resources you can do more on a mac than you can with a pc.
That was exactly my point when we were debating that in another thread. The memory allocation made by OSX is pretty good compared to Windows. How the memory is allocated and the variable modifying the memory allocation behavior makes a big difference for the end user.