Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2009, 08:12 AM
Top Prospect

Default Ultra Aluminus Build with pics

Hi Everyone,

Switched over from my ghetto spider-bat case to the Ultra Aluminus I picked up last week. Thought I'd document the process and take some pictures in case anyone else was interested in purchasing this product.

Two cases side by side. Note the poor airflow in the mid-tower. This should be resolved after moving to a full tower!

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9933/dscn0825small.jpg
Front side view. As you can see, both have doors. I like this style because it gives the case a polished look. The aluminus has the advantage of a 2nd door, making installing drives into the bays and front intake fans a cinch.

The 120mm fan sits snugly in the hole. No screws to hold it in place, and the wire fits through a purposeful hold to the 3pin fan connector. You'll notice how the 3.5" panels have screws holding them in place. I snap the plastic pieces that hold these in place all the time, so I thought this features was well thought out.

Taking everything out of the old case. Now you see why I call this case the "spider-bat". Picked it up at a charity yard sale for $5.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1935/dscn0832small.jpg
Installing the hard drives took me a bit of time to figure out. This was my first experience with quick access trays, so I'm used to putting the screws in the sides. There are rubber grommets on the bottom to help reduce noise, and next to each grommet is a screw hole that is used to mount it from the bottom. Very cool. I installed them with the cables facing away from the window, naturally.

The motherboard tray is a joy to work with. There are 2 screws holding it in place, and a sliding motion removes it from the base. Once removed, it's really nice to be able to work on the motherboard from all angles.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4732/dscn0831small.jpg
Out of the way kitty! I have a rig to build!

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5629/dscn0838small.jpg
Putting the tray back in is easy as well. Just grab the provided handles and push it up against the backing. Slide it across and screw the thumbscrews back in. Very sturdy.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1821/dscn0834small.jpg
From the back.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6531/dscn0839small.jpg
Outtake fan and grill came with the case. I may consider putting a second fan back to back.

Time for cable management. Manipulating all the power and data cables takes patience, but with all the different holes available it made the job turn out quite nice.

The case also came with a front panel hookup with 2 usb, firewire, and ac97/hd audio connectors.

4870 goes in. Previously, the 2x6pin power connectors were pressing up against my sata cables. As you can see here, I have plenty of room to add a 2nd 4870!

Almost done. Clean up a bit of the cables.

Closing it up was a major PITA. I have one gripe about this case; that the flexible aluminum is difficult to line up on all 4 corners simultaneously when putting the sides back on.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5...n0852small.jpg
It *dwarfs* my 22" monitor.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8711/dscn0850small.jpg

Anyhow, I will be adding some LED filled PCBs in the next few weeks. I'm very happy with this case and I would pay the $50 again without question. If you have any questions or comments feel free to post them here.

attonbitusira
Old May 14, 2009, 08:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

I had the very same case and I was extremely disapointed (hopefully not for you!). The front panel is super fragile (made of cheap plastic) and the airflow wasn't great. But how you arranged the cables, it's really neat. I like the look of that case, the big side panel is really nice also. But the overall build wasn't great at all. But hey it's much better than your Spider case eh ?

Really nice cable management !
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX
Old May 14, 2009, 08:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I had, the exact same case, its posted somewhere in the Gallery.
That thing is a monster in size really.
My gripes are the same as yours, the Aluminum while making it light, has too much flexibility to it, as well that DAMN powersupply bracket sucks.
Other than that, the case has reasonable Airflow and good space to Jam everything you could ever want inside.
For $50, you can't go wrong on that one.
Good to see another one like that kicking around,

Nice Build,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 14, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ultra cases are all about the bling and nothing much.

They are cheap cases with a over inflated price tag.

Hope you'll enjoy yours.
Old May 14, 2009, 08:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Ultra cases are all about the bling and nothing much.

They are cheap cases with a over inflated price tag.

Hope you'll enjoy yours.
Hey for $50 and a Full Tower, thats a good deal.
I agree with you on everything except one case.
The M998 is an Amazing Case to work with and in.
Oh, and the X-blaster Build I did as well, that was one heavy steel case with good Airflow Dynamics and easy management inside.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

nice job attonbitusira
For the price the Ultra is a good value and easy to work with. I built my son's comp with the Ultra. It's looks good to him and his friends and does what it's supposed to do. Picked up the Ultra on sale at TD for $25 a while back which is pretty hard to beat imho.
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old May 14, 2009, 10:07 AM
Allstar

Hey I recognize that case. Oh yeah I sold it to you
I'm glad you like it and are putting it to good use
OCZ SOLID 3 SSD|Seagate 1.0TB
2 X EVGA GTX 460 in SLI
Old May 14, 2009, 11:50 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug View Post