Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2009, 12:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default GELID Fans

Well since NCIX finally got those UV Blue ones in, I decided to pickup a few. Though I ordered them from Direct Canada since it was cheaper and I get air shipping for $9.99

I got the Wing 12 UV Blue, Silent 8, PWM 8, Silent 12.

Packaging/Un-boxing:

With the Silent/PWM fans, all you get are the 4 rubber mounts and a case sticker. No real packaging to speak of, just the fan and a baggie inside the box. For those that want to know, the cable length is 19.5" though I think it's closer to 20" if the cable is straighten out entirely. It's the same on all the fans.

And the Wing 12 was a bit better. Came inside a plastic casing thing of sorts which has the 4 rubber mounts, case badge, 3M double sided tape, and the fan controller.

The fairly "standard" single fan controller:

And since this fan features removable blades, thought I'd test that out right away. Blades pop off rather effortlessly. A baby could probably do it So here's some motor pictures for those than fancy that kind of stuff:

And just an overall shot of the fan:

Unfortunately my blacklight isn't working (fuse busted) so UV pics will have to wait till it's in my PC.

Subjective Testing - Open air

The Silent 12 makes a rather low-pitched hum with my ear up against it. If I hold it like 6" away though, then I can't really hear it at all. Airflow wise, seems a bit on the low side but it's only 1000RPM after all.

The Silent 8, makes a higher-pitched hum than the Silent 12, puts out a decent amount of air for a 1600RPM 80mm fan. Again, becomes silent if I hold it about 6" away.

The PWM 8 is noisier since it's 2000RPM at 12V (no, I'm not using the actual PWM functionality of it). Moves more air though but it takes closer to 12" before I can't hear it. Still, not that bad for a 80mm fan.

The Wing 12, well to me the motor/bearing noise isn't there, mainly just sounds like air but I don't know for sure. Overall it seems about the same noise level as any other 120mm I've had around 1500RPM, which is tolerable to me. Decided to compare this to a NCIX Yate D12SL that I have, the GELID moves more air and is a bit noisier. However the Yate has far less airflow and has a lower-pitched, harsher sound, where as the GELID sounds more like air rushing.

Last edited by JD; April 24, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old April 24, 2009, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

I like GELID fans. Plan to use Green or White myself. Will match Feser tubing color well.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old April 24, 2009, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yea, i too like the white, but they are no good as front intake fan tho, only decent for cpu or exhaust
Old April 24, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
yea, i too like the white, but they are no good as front intake fan tho, only decent for cpu or exhaust
Why is that?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old April 24, 2009, 06:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

Id assume hes talking about the dust that will collect on intake fans. Nice review btw
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old April 24, 2009, 07:30 PM
Allstar

Removable blades? I might have to pick up a bunch of these for my case and paint the blades red. NCIX doesn't stock those red/black Yate Loons anymore.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old April 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
Removable blades? I might have to pick up a bunch of these for my case and paint the blades red. NCIX doesn't stock those red/black Yate Loons anymore.
Only on the "Wing" series. The standard Silent/PWM ones are not removable.
Old April 27, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the white gelids have really low static pressure , when used for front intake with filter it adds massive amount of noise due to its light fan blades

As for rear intake, it doesn't have enough power to exhaust

But it does a decent job when used as a CPU cooler or Passive VGA add on fan. (with a little help with front intake fans and side fans )
Old April 27, 2009, 06:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
the white gelids have really low static pressure , when used for front intake with filter it adds massive amount of noise due to its light fan blades

As for rear intake, it doesn't have enough power to exhaust

But it does a decent job when used as a CPU cooler or Passive VGA add on fan. (with a little help with front intake fans and side fans )
They seem to do fine in my mom's case (Ultra MicroFly). 80mm intake, 80mm on the side blowing to the GPU (hole I cut), 120mm exhaust and the 80mm PWM on the CPU. Temperatures seem to be fine.

They aren't for gaming/OC'd PCs, just for silent office type PCs.

The Wing series are for our kind of stuff
Old April 27, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

err yea,

talking about the 120mm fans, and yea, my cpu at stock right now and GPU with AC accelero S1 with add on fan

And yea, i am comparing them to scythe s-flex sff21e and antec tri-cools

Cpu at stock and passive GPU cooling + fan, Oh yea baby i am extreme

fan tested in Antec Sonata III and Antec 300, TRUE 120, AC accelero S1