Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Member Reviews (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/)
-   -   Ultra XconnectVS and Ultra V series (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/16827-ultra-xconnectvs-ultra-v-series.html)

hohohee April 14, 2009 04:32 AM

Ultra XconnectVS and Ultra V series

bought used 400watt Ultra XconnectVS on 2009 for about 25.00 usd after a day of installation.... psu Fan dead. dont spin. before fan dead... played ut3 and tomb raider underworld with it max setting. while running one of these games.... loud noise of computer. smell like plastic burning. notice smell comes from computer case. then notice the fan of the psu dont spin. still can run and everything is fine except psu fan dont spin.

unit looks and feels heavy like a high quality. fan is shiny black and looks thin.... i like it thick like 7900gtx's fan.

x2 4400
3gig
8800 gts g92

bought refurbish 350watt Ultra V series on 2006 at retail store for about 30.00 usd. works flawless untill 2009 psu fan stop spinning. loud noise when gaming. feels lagg. and sometimes system dont boot. but still working but some issues. stability issues. not bad. last pretty long.

athlon64 3200
1.5gig
x850xt

amateur review.

matsta31 April 14, 2009 05:19 AM

huh ?

JD April 14, 2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matsta31 (Post 178381)
huh ?

He just rephrased his thread in the PSU section about how neither of his PSU fans work.

Definitely would pass on these Ultra PSUs.

Cptn Vortex April 14, 2009 09:39 AM

Yea the lower end units are pretty low quality. In recent years they've been making some decent products though. My 1000W X3 has been fantastic. Also coming up on 2 years now for my friends gaming center with 25 machines gaming 24/7 with 500 V-series, only 2 were defective and those were within the first 2 weeks.

Soultribunal April 14, 2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 178437)
Yea the lower end units are pretty low quality. In recent years they've been making some decent products though. My 1000W X3 has been fantastic. Also coming up on 2 years now for my friends gaming center with 25 machines gaming 24/7 with 500 V-series, only 2 were defective and those were within the first 2 weeks.

Same Here Vortex, I've used them on everything I've built save a few OCZ's and Corsairs.
Only an X2 gave up the Ghost (fan Failure) , and that was easily resolved with the new X3 replacement. I love the free Step-Up's for their EOL units.

The LSP/X3 Series are on Par with the Top of the Line out there right now.
As for the LS and other such series, I only have limited experience with them.
Low End PSU's for Cheap no matter the Brand is asking for issues except for the LSP450, Corsair 400W and Antec Earthwatts 370.
Those, suprisinly enough, have done quite well in my experience.

ST

sswilson April 15, 2009 07:07 AM

Interesting that the 400W feels "heavy" like a quality PSU......

At one time that was a quick check for PSU quality, but then we started to see some super-cheepo units which actually had some form of weights in them to make them heftier.... :)

encorp April 15, 2009 09:34 AM

Haha Ultra, it amazes me this company is still around - thanks to tiger direct no doubt; these things arn't worth the powder to blow them up with.

sswilson April 15, 2009 09:58 AM

The newer ones aren't all that bad. I've got the 600W one that SKY reviewed running in my young lad's build.

Soultribunal April 15, 2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by encorp (Post 178931)
Haha Ultra, it amazes me this company is still around - thanks to tiger direct no doubt; these things arn't worth the powder to blow them up with.

Make sure you save the Powder for BFG PSU's as well Encorp, same platform from Andy really.
But, well, No problems with the 30+ now that have gone through my hands.

In the end, to each their own.

ST

Jonwall April 15, 2009 05:11 PM

Is this really even a review? All you did was tell us 2 lowend $25 power supplies bit the dust, which should have been seen a million miles away right from the start...