Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2009, 11:38 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the answer Eagle eye.

But I get some trouble. Even with setting the fan in the correct way, My temp is still quickly getting high and crashing the video card, during full use.
I'm waiting for an answer from termalrights support.

here is the amazing graph.

I think I have put too much termal paste between the Heatsink and the GPU... I've put termal paste on both...
Do you have an idea ?

edit : and I just noticed that my fan is not exactly set as your's : there is a 180 rotation difference. I see it because your cable connect is starting from the top of the fan, where mine is starting from the bottom. Any consequences ?
Old June 24, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The rotation of the fan makes no difference as long as the direction of the airflow is pointed towards the GPU.

I'd consider re-installing the unit because from the look of it you're not making proper contact with the base. I would have a look at the instructions again and follow them step by step, take your time ensuring that unit is properly installed.

In my opinion its always best to apply it to the GPU and spread it evenly over the surface using a plastic baggie wrapped around your finger.

Regards,

EE
Old June 24, 2009, 02:29 PM
Rookie

Many thanks for helping me.

I've just reinstalled it, removed all the termal paste and apply it again, but only on the GPU this time and really less than the first time.
I've fixed all the components as it is described in the installation guide of the thermalright's site.

But the result is exactly the same -___-

I don't think it is a contact problem because, just after the test, I touched the pipes and they were hot (It wasn't hurting me, but was really hot).
And if it was a contact problem, I should have a higher T value than 40-42c at IDLE, no ?

Could it be the fan that doesn't do the job ?
I have connected it with the 12V adaptator, and I've got a Corsair 750Watts as power supply... Really strange. But with my hand, I found the air flow not really powerful...

edit : hum... After a game test (sacred 2 in full details 1900*1200 fsaa4x), it seems to work well, very well !! I had never been over 55c.
OCCT must be too strong for the 1300 rpm. I only see this explanation. I'm just surprised that you're not crashing with your gpu test software (GPU F@H). Perhaps it's less stressing than OCCT... I will have a try tomorrow. It would be interesting if you wanna have a try with OCCT, and its gpu's stress test :-)

Anyway, many thanks to you !
And for the HR-03 GTX :

Last edited by beholder2; June 24, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old June 24, 2009, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Hum perhaps I spoke a bit too fast. That was with the open case.
When I close my "stupid" P182, the T is getting higher. Don't know if it will crash, but for the moment it's at 74-75c and seems to grow again and again slowly...
Old June 24, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just ran the default OCCT GPU test and it crashed. I highly don't recommend this test be conducted as a means of gauging cooling performance it substantially stresses the GPU, VRM far beyond normal and could be potentially dangerous.

As long as your temps stay consistent while gaming and you don't have any issues with crashing or artifacting I don't believe you have anything to worry about.

Regards,

EE
Old June 25, 2009, 01:21 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the test, and sorry for the crash.
On my side, the gpu's test of OCCT never crashed with the original cooling system of the GTX 280.

But You're right, if in game I have no trouble, I have nothing to worry about.

At last, it seems that I have to improve the air cooling of my entire P182.
The T of the card is still increasing (1c per min after 70c). And my IDLE T is 55c with closed case. It's higher than you for an undercloacked card.

For the moment, I've just powered on the back fan, and it is the original one of the P182 at the min rotation setup. They are soooooo noisy...

What type of Noctua did you set on the top and the back of your P182 ?
Did you set one on the front ? I read that it's not helpful if the front door is closed, and it's noisy if the door is opened
Old June 25, 2009, 02:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So after a couple of hours or so of testing out a reverse setup of the HR-03 I've come to the conclusion that it makes pretty much makes no difference. I played WAW for a good 2 hours and temperatures were well into the 80oC, ofcourse the VRM temps exceeded 120oC both pretty much same as before. There was never any sign of instability, however my system took a big hit given the memory configuration...single channel .

If you can do the reverse setup its great because you get back all the room you lost having it the other way, however in my case I had to remove a memory dimm to make it fit. If you're considering this configuration I'd highly suggest picking up a Antec spot cool and position it right smack over the VRM(s). I might just give that a try myself.

I wish nVidia would use rigid PCB boards, notice the rather prominent bend in my card.

Regards,

EE

Pic goodness!! OMG ROOM!! ...single Channel memory.
Attached Images

Old June 25, 2009, 02:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The reason OCCT crashes is because the VRM temperature goes awire, during my test they were cooking at 150oC. The stock cooling does a much much better job of cooling the VRM(s), which extremely helpful in maintaining stability.

My case is has a total of 4 x Noctua NF-P12's front to back it was an expensive route to go, but I couldn't stand the Antec TRI-Cool fans they were garbage and noisy. Infact I modded my case to allow me to put a 120mm fan in the bottom cage just in front of the HDD(s) a good mod dropped my HDD temps by 8-10oC.

EE
Old June 25, 2009, 02:41 AM
Rookie

Ho ! I understand better ! I thought crashes were due to the GPU T, and I was surprised that it crashed at 80c (I read that a gpu should be able to support 90-100c).

I'll check the VRM Temp !!

Is the Noctua NF-S12B FLX not better for air cooling a case ?
Old June 25, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here this might answer that question.

Which Fan is Right for Me