Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2009, 02:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you look hard enough you can find it on NCIX. However I'm still torn as to whether to get the Megalodon or the G35.
Old July 8, 2009, 01:39 PM
Top Prospect

wow nice review.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:23 PM
Trial Member

Hey!

Thanks for this nice review, it really helped me since I'm in the process of getting a new gaming headset for myself. To tell the truth I've only owned a few 20euro headsets before and I guess I don't have to mention anything about their overall quality..

What I'm struggling with at the moment is weather or not I should get the Logitech G35s or the Razer Megalodon. I live in Finland and the price difference between these two headsets is 50 euros (about 76 CAD ) but I'm just wondering if that price difference shows in the quality of the headsets? Is the G35 somehow worse than the Megalodon? So far I've read one comparative review on IGN and I got the impression there might not be a notable difference as far as pure sound is conserned..

And finally, I apologize for any bad english :P
Old May 9, 2010, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Hello, I want to buy G35, but in this review http://hardwarebg.com/%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%8E-%D0%BD%D0%B0-logitech-g35-%D1%81-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%8A%D0%BA-%D0%B7%D0%B0-%D0%BD%D1%8F%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D0%BE%D1%82-%D1%87%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5/ the people say " they are good for games, but for music they are not good". Is this true ?
Old May 10, 2010, 05:42 AM
Rookie

I have been using them for about 9 months now, and they are utterly amazing in games and in voice chat, hands down the best pair of headsets I've ever used.

Now for music, I generally don't use them for that, but I have and they are crystal clear and have really good bass. They can get extremely loud and even at really loud the sound never distorts. The main disadvantage for listening to music is that they are USB, thus can only be plugged into a PC or a Mac, no kind of iPod or phone supports them. They would probably be too big for mobile use anyways.

Side note: They are really good at sound isolation, you basically can't hear anything around you with them on and not plugged in.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have these as well, they were on sale at canada computers a while back for 69.99, and picked them up. Never regretted it, as they are spectacular. Well worth the price.

Old May 11, 2010, 05:36 AM
Rookie

I paid 150$ Canadian for mine, but that was soon after release. Still worth it, but if you can find em for less then 75$, it's amazingly worth it.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

How would these stack up against the Razer Carcharias?
Old May 11, 2010, 12:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i have both, but you need to understand the better match up would be a megalodon vs g35.
Carcharias is the non usb, the megalodon is the usb version, with built in sound card

Carcharias, i find is a bit more comfortable to wear, and i find it to be bassier, but it is open headphones, so it doesnt block out outside noise as much as a g35. Thusly everyone around you can hear what you are listening too. You need to plug these into a sound card, or your on board, thus the quality of what you hear is also going to depend on the source. They are straight stereo only, unless you get the megalodon which has virtual 7.1. The megalodon has a fancy base unit that sits on your desk that controls the volume and surround levels etc. Looks quite nice, but the carcharias just has one of those volume controls on the wire. While functional, i find these things tend not to last very long. The mute button is also on this. I have heard that the megalodon has had issues, with lockups, and trouble with win 7. I dont know if razer fixed this. I dont have megalodons so i cant comment reliably on that.

The g35 being usb, has its own built in sound card, which i think does the job admirably. It supports dolby headphone surround technology which i think sounds pretty darn good for surround. Of course this can be turned off if you wish to make it stereo. The headphones are not round, more of a wierd shaped rectangle, which makes them slightly less comfortable, though probably will be no issue for most unless you have big ears. i like how the mic when folded up auto mutes. The volume control on the right side of the phones is really handy and i like it better than the cheapo feeling volume control on the carcharias wire. There is also a mute button beside the volume on the right headset, but i usually just fold up the mic. The mic also has a red led on the end of the mic that you can set to show you are muted, or you can set it to show you are live, whatever you prefer. Just a little more visual feedback than most phones. The G keys the logitech has on the side of the phones are pretty much useless. Some people may find them of some use, but i never use them. Their useability is hampered by not being able to set them as any button, all it is for is quicklauch of a few apps that logitech allows you to use, as well as adjust mic sensativity or skip a track in itunes or something of the like. There is also voice modifying software so you can sound like a troll or a space squirrel or some other nonsense, again fairly useless unless you are 12 or deathly scared of people hearing your real voice.

That being said, for the money the carcharias is less featured, but sounds good, and is cheaper. The g35 is usb, so its like taking your soundcard with you, has more features, but is also more expensive.

If you are looking to save some money and have a decent sound card get the carcharias, otherwise get a logitech g35, especially if you can find them for cheap. If you have a higher end soundcard, the g35 will bypass it, which is a downside.

Sorry this turned out a bit longer than i originally thought it would, but i thought i would pass on my thoughts.

Old July 16, 2010, 05:26 AM
Rookie

I have to agree, the G35 is an excellent headset all around. Very comfortable for long sessions and the mic is top notch. Got mine on sale for $110 a while back and I still love them.