Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Member Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Emulated surround sound is better and here is why from an audio standpoint.

TRUE surround sound absolutely cannot exist without a proper airspace between the monitors and the ear. Moving a set of surround sound speakers around your head would cause the whole thing to accumulate wavelenths and build up, thus sounding muffled or with peaks and valleys in certain frequency ranges. Emulating surround sound allows you to control the sound so that it sounds more truly as if it was a set of speakers 10'ft from the listener.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 20, 2009, 02:21 PM
Top Prospect

Right you are about the "faux surround" as I call it. BUT, in COD 4 it really didn't help at all, the headset sounded better in good old stereo.

That being said, I'm not sure I could live without this headset now that I've used it. They sound simply amazing...
Asus Rampage II GENE Motherboard
2 x Asus GTX 285 in SLI (710/1617/2700)
1 x 1tb WD Black
3 x WD 640AAKS in RAID 0
Enermax 85-1050 PSU
HP 30" 2560x1600, G19, G7, M-Audio Q40 Headset

Old March 20, 2009, 11:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

Honestly, I agree with encorp. I truly find that stereo headphones not only give off better sound, but with a decent soundcard I find they work just as good, if not better then alot of advertised "7.1" sets for gaming.

Old March 22, 2009, 08:46 AM
Top Prospect

I've gotta say then, after some extended gaming sessions, I'm finding I really enjoy these headphone is stereo for gaming. The stereo sound quality is outstanding. The Dolby Headphone function works very well for movies, but I think that it should be left off for games.

The only real negative I have so far is that the headphones block out too much sound. They're like wearing hearing protection. I know a lot of my friends like that, but me, I like to be able to hear my phone ringing! LOL

I played COD4 the other night for about 4 hours, and even after that long they were still very comfortable and I found they didn't hurt my ears at all.

I also switched the headband to a thinner one that fits my massive melon better.

I also got my friends on Ventrilo and Teamspeak to give me some feedback about the mic. They said that they could hear a definite improvement from my last headset (The Icemats). That's pretty impressive because the Icemats got great reviews and the reviewers said the mic is one of the best they've used.....
1 x 1tb WD Black
3 x WD 640AAKS in RAID 0
Enermax 85-1050 PSU

Old March 22, 2009, 04:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've noticed that USB headsets tend to have better mics, regardless...

Besides, this is Logitech we're talking about, here. They don't lie when they tell you they've got something awesome and high quality.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post

Besides, this is Logitech we're talking about, here. They don't lie when they tell you they've got something awesome and high quality.
And that pretty much sums up this headset...the more I use it, the more I miss it when I'm using something different. I've tried a couple other Logitech head sets (another USB headset and a behind the ear set, and my Icemats) and though they do indeed sound pretty good, considering the price point they're at, they don't hold a candle to the G35 headset.

The best thing about them is the price...at $150 or so, they're CHEAP for what they are.
1 x 1tb WD Black
3 x WD 640AAKS in RAID 0
Enermax 85-1050 PSU

Old March 24, 2009, 02:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

And they also make things like your sig that much easier to read, and shorter.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:52 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
And they also make things like your sig that much easier to read, and shorter.
LOL...a comedian!! Nice!!

Well, after a few more days with these, I'm growing rather attached to them.

I can't say enough about them...are they $1000 studio headphones? Nope, are they worth every cent? Yup!
1 x 1tb WD Black
3 x WD 640AAKS in RAID 0
Enermax 85-1050 PSU

Old April 4, 2009, 07:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Anybody know when these beauties will be available in Canada?
Old May 24, 2009, 11:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, I now own a pair of these.

I must say, I'm not terribly impressed by the "7.1" audio, really. Everything sounds slightly muffled when you turn it on, and farther away. That said, it's absolutely fantastic for you if you're playing an FPS game, because you can hear every last footstep that that evil person trying to sneak up on you is taking.

I love the buttons on the side, and the manual switch on the headphone to turn on/off the 7.1 effect (also the button for mic mute). The G-keys are nice if you like to play music in the background of whatever you're doing, as you can easily assign "play/pause", "next", or "previous" controls to them, among others. The mic is very good and easy to bend, and the headset is comfortable once you get them situated properly. The sleeved cable is nice, and has a little wire-management velcro strip on it for any excess cable.

I do recommend it. I must say though, don't buy them at an actual store. Buy them online. I got them about $15 USD cheaper that way.